Jason1145

Chassis ID - Solved - ThunderShot - Dash 1 Emperor 1/10

3 minutes ago, iluvmud said:

Thunder shot / terra scorcher

Those two share the same chassis right? Just a different Bodyshell?

Anyothers or just those two?

thunder shot and thunder dragon with front mono shock,  fire dragon and terra scorcher with double. In every case, equipped with yellow CVD.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mastino said:

thunder shot and thunder dragon with front mono shock,  fire dragon and terra scorcher with double. In every case, equipped with yellow CVD.

So this example has had its yellow CVA's robbed in place of pogo sticks :(

And it has a bent rear chassis guard.. thanks for ID.

I'm after some parts over in the trades section now ;)

So I have to ask - how did you end up with an unknown chassis? Was it bought ages ago, hidden from your wife then you found it again or something?

• Like 1

thundershot and fire dragon was rerelease years ago, Parts are still available , original bodies are rare.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

So I have to ask - how did you end up with an unknown chassis? Was it bought ages ago, hidden from your wife then you found it again or something?

Busted... I just bought another car lol.. I only bought it for the Bodyshell that was planted on top of it - Dash 1 Emperor.

Yep, I'd never heard of it either!

Anyway it was sold as a display model but the chassis is clearly an uncleared used runner, some broken parts and totally filthy! The shell and wheels have been added as new parts which made me notice it, I was going to shelf it but now it's so used I will have a runner chassis.. just needed to find out what it was ;)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mastino said:

thundershot and fire dragon was rerelease years ago, Parts are still available , original bodies are rare.

I'm just finding this out now, chassis looks quite rare though.

Was just working on that inbetween feeding my daughter lol

I like the big open window showing the driver... very over the top bubble car type thing

VXm76TO.jpg

XPxyyOS.jpg

kBdFFFa.jpg

You can see the bent B13 and B14 parts at the back to the bottom

mVU0Puy.jpg

VgYKYfF.jpg

• Like 1

it must be a repo body because the light lamps are not the correct elongated shape???

4 hours ago, mastino said:

:lol: I have one too...

ThunderShot_00071.jpg

Ah yours is even more comical, I'm a fan!!

Mine is a TBG shell, painted well though with nice spot lamps.

Mastino is your driver figure mounted to the clear lexan esc cover, I've just seen that part for sale (which mine doesn't have)

My driver with body is screwed in from the roof.

I've just been going through my used chassis... it's had a hard life! It should never have been used for display, more kept in a bottom drawer out of sight, the amount of gunk and damaged parts I'm finding.

What the seller did was take a dead body and put a fancy hat and shiny shoes on him... they masked the gangrene and rotten corpse.

One but if good news is the rear braces are actually ok (B13,B14) it was just the 50mm screw going through them was bent, twisting it all out of shape.. I can only imagine the torture this car has seen during its life,  one heavy rear landing must've bent that part!

I'd love a new chassis for it to make it look nicer ( and save me cleaning it!) but it's hard to see one available though.. especially as mine has damage to both the front and rear, crucially it's where both gearboxes attach so I'm a bit worried.

Oh and I just found a cracked plastic rear wheel adapter, no doubt the other 3 will be in a vulnerable state too if left alone! Not sure if I should just buy the aluminium wheel adapters or switch to standard 12mm hex and run different wheels.

8 hours ago, Jason1145 said:

Busted... I just bought another car lol.. I only bought it for the Bodyshell that was planted on top of it - Dash 1 Emperor.

Yep, I'd never heard of it either!

Anyway it was sold as a display model but the chassis is clearly an uncleared used runner, some broken parts and totally filthy! The shell and wheels have been added as new parts which made me notice it, I was going to shelf it but now it's so used I will have a runner chassis.. just needed to find out what it was ;)

Is this one you bought off that Glen dude?

That's pretty low tbh, I wonder if all his stock is like that. Big it all up in his YouTube channel so you expect them to be perfect and the reality is far from it.

For those wondering, link to his channel here. 

https://youtu.be/fSD6j3FXRX4

52 minutes ago, Prescient said:

Is this one you bought off that Glen dude?

That's pretty low tbh, I wonder if all his stock is like that. Big it all up in his YouTube channel so you expect them to be perfect and the reality is far from it.

For those wondering, link to his channel here. 

https://youtu.be/fSD6j3FXRX4

Yeah.. I was so surprised as all his other cars looked great in the Ebay ads just as this one did.. no idea if I got the runt of the litter... total runt lol!

I did get a discount on it otherwise I was going to return it for a full refund because h said it was useless to him back... the more I delve into it I see what he means. If I hadn't already agreed to the refund I would return it by it's all done and dusted now.. I don't have time for a fixer upper that's why I paid relatively big for this in the first place... now I'm even more time poor with this un planned project.

That should teach me not to make impulse purchases after 11pm.

Should have returned it really, but hope you got a decent discount instead. As a well run one, guess it was worth 70-90 if that.

With hindsight but alot of my RC decisions are made on the spot, I don't usually regret many.

So the rear friction shocks put on this are only 70mm eye to eye  causing the rear Arms to droop no more than parallel with the floor... when the shock is removed you can see te extra droop allowed until the arm reaches the chassis stop lip... that now measures 95mm eye to eye,, I think some 90mm shocks will work ok.

vE5IreM.jpg

This is the bent screw through the rear braces

JUNRz2O.jpg

ooUYlAh.jpg

idH5Waj.jpg

Replaced it with this

DLOzrrL.jpg

All fixed here ... btw this rear end has already had a rough clean up by me... but here are some pictures of the front end to show the condition

Rear chassis broke at the gear box joint.. I had to glue a metal washer there to give it something to hold on to for now

NCrtRm6.jpg

Front chassis broke on both the left and right, again where the gearbox connects to the chassis

BydRAOB.jpg

fQpGWwx.jpg

uEfwDVJ.jpg

Inside the chassis

tXmQpBF.jpg?1

Found some photo's of when it first arrived... imagine my surprise for this shelfer

aLC9fjm.jpg

Rear end

skg20Bk.jpg

Underneath

slioJ1w.jpg

xLB1GH9.jpg

v2A2gE3.jpg

Moaning over... let's see if I can get this cleaned up and running!

@Jason1145 that's really not on.

This is his YouTube video from a month ago showing it off. So he sprayed the shocks. Possibly not the same chassis, he could have been swapping parts etc.

He hasn't posted in a while so maybe he ran out of money as he grew that collection with some seriously expensive kits very quickly.

Thats a bit disappointing. Nothing worse than getting someone elses problems. Unfortunately we all have different standards of what is considered 'mint'. I have learned to expect items to be of poor standard when purchasing second hand, that way I am not upset when it shows up, and if it is in good condition then thats a bonus. 

I agree you would expect better from a collector, but unfortunately even collectors cut corners. Even getting a 'original vintage restored' and finding it is loaded with rere parts and tbg shells and mci decals can upset the right person.

It is a shame you paid a premium for it too. If I had parts for these i would be more than happy to send you some, but have never owned one nor would know what the parts look like in my spares.

the Thundershot chassis is still my favourite to run (ever since 2005 with the rere release)

parts are generally plentiful, new chassis on eBay is generally £13-£20 so still affordable

decals can be bought from MCI racing

the one expensive new part at the moment seems to be the bumper (approx £25-£30), they never break but do take the brunt of most running so do get scratched up

the triangle wheel parts normally crack through fatigue and over tightening, new ones are easily available (I've never used my alloy ones yet!)

so really get the chassis and keep a lookout for some second hand yellow cva's and your be good to go

what would be disappointing would be after strip down to discover split or cracked gearboxes (still ok for a runner though) or the spur gear chipped

fingers crossed!