Kingfisher

How to add support to body posts?

This is the TT02 chassis that I built for my Subaru XV rally car. My girlfriend used Tamiya body mount extensions, a set of drift wheels (stolen from my Coppermix Silvia kit), and this Toyota van body to make a drift van out of it. 

36329193053_b9e8813aee_b.jpg

36329195673_9922f5946f_b.jpg

37000659261_1b1e54bf87_b.jpg

Because the body posts are so long now, the body really wobbles around when driving it. When you slide it sideways, you can see the body leaning on top of the posts. What are ways that can be done to add support to the posts to keep the body from wobbling around so much?

• Like 1

In the past I have slid a tube of aluminium down the post. It helps a little. You can also use brass or plastic tubing. With the plastic you can super glue it on so it almost becomes integral.

• Thanks 1

I have used m3 threaded rod and put rod ends the same size as the bodyposts on each end (or a little smaller and reamed than out a bit) I then secured them with body clips above and below the rod end.

Edited by theRuggedMan
Spelling
  • Thanks 1

I just drilled out two body post holes lower down and put some all thread m2 through the both with a nut on each side of each body post.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the great suggestions. I like the idea with the M2 threaded rod. Oh, and the gaffer tape for sure!

• Like 1

You might even have an old M2 tie rod floating around in the correct size if you have some old spares. 

Actually my M05 needs this done as well, should be taking my own advice 😕 I had one on my drift car but sold it a while ago. 

Edit:

Found one. Works a charm without drilling, just took the posts off and wound the rod into them, I had a longer one but I think this will work without the nuts (up to you if you want to add them). You could put it up higher on the posts to make it a bit more stable if you wanted.. 

VMwYRfA.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1