Peter_B

RC10 Team Car

25 years (or so) after first thinking "Those RC10's look cool, I'd like to get me one of those" I now own an RC10 Team Car.

It was an ebay find from France that was built but hadn't been run. Other than the paint job it's in great condition. Just a bit of servo tape residue and dust to clean up. Because it's in such good condition I don't plan on doing a lot to it, but I do intend to run it.

There does seem to be a small problem with the back end, the arms one side hand lower than the other. There doesn't seem to be anything binding but I'll take the shocks off and investigate how the arms move and hang without the shocks on and check the shocks to make sure they're both the same.

It has a Reedy Mr J motor that looks absolutely mint. The receiver and servo, both Robbe (?? no idea) units will be coming out as they are no use to me.

hLwXDex-sgDxHhmYb0-KI2cky0sDttsQ0S0UQt5iqOmxwL1DeD_tSaPwf7R_v9AyEPFvESbj_idAaNSnZ1IK9_nk6VZvzBiD6MTqgB3pmi96Z0_d6PFV_0WMa3Cg2rkAnjvunN9d2yCrcJBJZV0qi8e_vzX9xyQ3AysA2xFRJtF-1x-ZU_L8hFhv7745B8lPfRrMzx7utllzOk4dTe3GgidMDLGK1Xaq1VwqRIh905whOR7hUmfI052O47MkeaQVtOEHXD3Zr7g2Z4ZvPEG_LRt_2O6cRJaiUQ-y9X-mkKSDOqru7jvy9wzZHgQiCjVnJijoHv1xZvmyylI8VqB3IpNSL4LthCDBGb0ey1TIyLyeKGKjsiowlIvrgoclIlQ_-VxadacM87Ai08EU

• Like 5

Ok, who is the resident Tamiya Club RC10 expert?

Somebody who has experience restoring, running and modernising (e.g. getting modern wheels to fit).

I've signed up at rc10talk and asked a few questions but all people over there want to do is tell me to put it on a shelf and not run it.

I kind of understand the sentiment but these things were made to be run.

It's like having a classic 1:1 car. Some people will keep it in a garage just to look at it. Others will, now and then, take it out for a spin to enjoy it as it was meant to be.

I'm not somebody that is going to abuse it, none of my car's get badly treated (I'm not counting my boys cars - they do take a beating but then the boys are 3). It will get run with care.

Here it is much friendlier so if someone here can offer knowledge and advice I'd much rather stay here where it's cosy.

• Like 1

I'm sorry, but I agree with the members on RC10Talk... It would be a shame to run that car, especially when there are so many beaters out there..

13 minutes ago, Backlash said:

I'm sorry, but I agree with the members on RC10Talk... It would be a shame to run that car, especially when there are so many beaters out there..

That's the thing - here in the UK or Europe there doesn't seem to be a great number of RC10s available, especially not Team editions.

I saw one beater Team edition a couple of weeks back. That sold for 40% more than I paid for this one and it was really in quite rough condition.

There are cars available in the US and other places overseas. But by the time shipping and import taxes are added on it gets daft.

I haven't bought it as an investment, although I could probably make a profit if I sold it now, nor have I bought it as a piece of art.

I bought it to be run, for the touch of nostalgia, to fulfill the wish of a younger me who wanted one but never had one.

That younger me didn't want to just look at one.

• Like 2

Definately one very nice car we see here. Although of course it's up to you what to do with it, i have to sing the same tune. I would not run it. Just as an idea: why not buy a rerelease team car for running purposes? They're quite cheap and you can have the same nostalgica  without feeling guilty of having" ruined" a rare pearl.

23 minutes ago, scoobybooster said:

Definately one very nice car we see here. Although of course it's up to you what to do with it, i have to sing the same tune. I would not run it. Just as an idea: why not buy a rerelease team car for running purposes? They're quite cheap and you can have the same nostalgica  without feeling guilty of having" ruined" a rare pearl.

To be honest - if I could have found a re-release World's (don't think they did a re-re Team) then I would have.

I wasn't hung up on it being vintage.

They just aren't available anywhere that I've seen.

If you can link me to where one is available that isn't for a silly price please do because I'd be very interested.

Please can somebody tell me why running a car will ruin it?

I have new wheels and tyres on the way so I don't wear the originals.

I have a full length lexan undertray coming to protect the chassis from scratches.

I've even got replacement turnbuckles and ball connectors coming so the originals don't get bent or damaged.

I don't race, I don't take my car's over jumps.

Any running it does will be in the garden, out in the street or in a park.

As I said - I don't abuse my cars. I respect them.

Sorry didn't want to offend with my posting above. As i wrote, you're the only one to decide what's going to happen and i hope you're not going to change your mind only because of other people's (and my) opinion.
As for the rerelease- you're correct, it's the worlds, not  the team car.
Just to have mentioned: i have a NIB rere Worlds that i'd trade for your team car. But it is not my intention to wrangle it out of your possession:D( otherwise i would have pm'ed you)

Not offended just frustrated.

I don't think I'd want to trade my Team but if you wanted to sell your World's then drop me a PM.

Just noticed that the rere Worlds is indeed discontinued - i wasn't aware of that. 
However, i really hope you will fully enjoy your Team car. As long as it's well cared, she is in good hands:). Have fun, life's too short to waste time with frustration;)

5 hours ago, Peter_B said:

Please can somebody tell me why running a car will ruin it?

I have new wheels and tyres on the way so I don't wear the originals.

I have a full length lexan undertray coming to protect the chassis from scratches.

I've even got replacement turnbuckles and ball connectors coming so the originals don't get bent or damaged.

I don't race, I don't take my car's over jumps.

Any running it does will be in the garden, out in the street or in a park.

As I said - I don't abuse my cars. I respect them.

Peter,  The reason that you're getting the reactions that you are, is because it is quite rare to find one of these old RC10's in new built condition...

The RC10 Team car was released in 1990, (so its 27 years old) and for it to have survived all that time unused is quite remarkable.. Its a true barn find, a survivor..

I have a few used RC10s here and I wished that they were new built, but they are not.. You just cant get that "new built status" back once you have run it...

But it is yours to do with as you please... Have fun running it, and I hope that it performs to your greatest expectations..

• Like 1

I've now got the RC10 pretty much stripped down. Only the gearbox is yet to be disassembled.

Plan next is to give everything a good clean. It's never been run but seems to have spent time in the presence of a smoker.

Then reassemble, fitting some new/upgraded parts as I go. Stronger turnbuckles, new steering bell cranks because the originals are cracked.

• Like 1

Oooo  RC10 - bit of a resurgence with the re-releases a few years ago, then it all went quiet again.

My two..

IMG_8613.jpg

Both Team cars, the orange one runs Reedy 13.5T brushless, with modern 2.2 rims/tyres - the chassis was lightened by previous owner (milled interior)

IMG_8623.jpg

IMG_8622.jpg

IMG_8614.jpg

IMG_8615.jpg

Boxart car runs its original wheels and tyres, new shell and mostly new shock components. Chassis was re-anodized during the restoration

IMG_8619.jpg

IMG_8617.jpg

IMG_8620.jpg

IMG_8624.jpg

19 minutes ago, Percymon said:

Oooo  RC10 - bit of a resurgence with the re-releases a few years ago, then it all went quiet again.

My two..

IMG_8613.jpg

Both Team cars, the orange one runs Reedy 13.5T brushless, with modern 2.2 rims/tyres - the chassis was lightened by previous owner (milled interior)

IMG_8623.jpg

IMG_8622.jpg

IMG_8614.jpg

IMG_8615.jpg

Boxart car runs its original wheels and tyres, new shell and mostly new shock components. Chassis was re-anodized during the restoration

IMG_8619.jpg

IMG_8617.jpg

IMG_8620.jpg

IMG_8624.jpg

Very nice the pair of them.

Mine is stock but as I put it back together I'm going to make a few changes. Nothing radical, just a few bits to help get it, and keep it, running.

I've got steering bell cranks from the World's re-release as the originals have split where the balls are screwed in.

I have a set of those JC Racing spoked wheels but I'm not overly keen on them. So I've got the parts to convert to 3/16" axles and a set of white World's/B4 wheels.

I've also got a set of turnbuckles from the World's re-re as the originals are apparently a bit prone to bending.

And I've got a new re-pro body and wing, hopefully will end up painted like the manual cover pic, with a set of decals on the way.

Motor wise, it has a Reedy Mr J brushed motor in it but I'm going to put a 17.5T brushless in it. Either a Tekin Gen3 Redline or a Reedy Sonic M3 SS. Probably the Reedy as it's more "proper".

If you have any surplus spare parts please let me know :)

If you start to collect more RC10’s you’ll have wished you kept this Car pristine, unrun and unmodified.  Even the most gentle run will lead to scratches and marks. There are tons of used buggies to run. Yes they might go for more than what you paid for yours but you got a smokin deal to begin which only adds more reason not to run it.  

I love the RC10 with so many ways to build it and still have something that looks the similar to each other

0567C4BD-493D-401B-B120-175A33DAC632_zps

I don't want more RC10s. I wanted AN RC10.

I don't have my cars as display objects so I don't need to have one to run and one on a shelf.

As it stands (or stood before I stripped it) it might have not been run. But it wasn't pristine. There's the smoke contamination I mentioned plus some oxidisation on the turnbuckles and ball studs. And the broken steering bell cranks.

I couldn't leave it as it was when it arrived.

I'm with you Peter, I would run it but gently. I don't want a big collection, just a couple of bashers which can be run within an inch of their life then a few shelfer/runners which get out every now and then. If I was more onto it i would've grabbed an RC10 rere when they were reasonably priced and it would be used the way my Boomerang is (which is also a rere...)

Nice car too btw!

Over the last few weeks I finished stripping down the RC10 and gave all of the parts a clean.

I've then started reassembling. Rather than use the original screws I'm using a stainless set from Team KNK. That initially slowed things down a bit as I'm not familiar with the imperial screw sizes and the original Team Car manual isn't all that clear on what screws go where. The instructions would say something like "take the 2 philips screws from bag 6-9" and I'd then have to turn to the parts list at the back, find bag 6-9 and then figure out what size screw they mean.

Things speeded up when I realised the manual for the RC10 Worlds re-release was much clearer (not Tamiya clear but better) and had the size of screw listed on the individual diagrams. So I've been using a combination of the 2 manuals, only really referring to the vintage manual where things are obviously different (slipper assembly for example).

A few pics of progress so far...

wY0Mb6qvK3lQpmSr_EfwK-5kTDtQWFa0HhvXs7sAh9maQYlchaWSjbe3nSFAWdk_FqmaHohs7yNZFccjj9Z89F3SzF0DivTE-gM5acOKrs80GHZbbphG0qV8VnU3xEnJZi8kZAKH3VhyjTZSEy0nGDNYbhkJyo8H

Looks good so far. There are a number of chassis skins on the market that will help protect the bottom from scratches. Are you going brushed or brushless?

8 minutes ago, Shodog said:

Looks good so far. There are a number of chassis skins on the market that will help protect the bottom from scratches. Are you going brushed or brushless?

I've got a 17.5T Reedy Sonic brushless to go in it. Probably with a Track star Sportsman ESC.

I have a Team Blue Groove, full length, lexan undertray to go on it to protect the chassis.

Little bit more progress.

I built the new CVD rear driveshafts and mounted them along with the rear hub carriers. Not quite finished there as I realised I didn't have some needed wheel spacers so am waiting for those to arrive before I fit the external bearings in the hub carriers and the drive pins.

I also assembled and fitted all of the camber adjustment and steering turnbuckles.

E0HMOBiIjB3q-z50yGluH7YaCJKpd3bsUwdWwUvZWLI0bZ81liQFjDwt6oa6P7wmwuMO2j5EBt2vExxE

It lives!!

After having issues with one of the shiny, blue, front axles being out of spec. I've finally received and fitted a replacement.

Now I've been able to mount the wheels, test fit some electrics and see if it moves.

So far it's only done a little drive down our hallway and back. But it runs and drives :)

Next step is to firmly fit the electrics and mount the nicely painted body that I received yesterday. I also need to rebuild the diff with the proper lube as I could hear slipping even on the little test drive.

The electrics fitted are:

Reedy Sonic M3 17.5T brushless motor.

Trackstar Sportsman 60A brushless ESC

Bluebird 621DMG-HS servo

1 hour ago, jonboy1 said:

nicely painted???!!!! :o

<_<

Don't want to say too much until I can post pictures.

Cards close to the chest and all of that.

Just stumbled upon this thread and it resonated with me as Peter I totally agree with you.

Do whatever you want with the buggy, if you literally got hit by a bus tomorrow, who would give two s#!ts if you used it or not? You would be the one that would wish you had the chance to feel the joy of running a buggy you clearly wanted and loved. Life can be short, and these toys were designed to be played with. 

Some people get extreme joy from having them on the shelf, others just want to do what they never could as a kid and drive them. 

I tend to drive my cars, but I used to restore rare 1980's BMX's and I have three that have never been off the carpet (carpet queens we call them!). I had one that I rode, but the others just couldn't bring myself to ride at all. I see it from both ways, people just get funny about it because they get a dopamine hit from a different stimulant. 

I just completed my Bruiser build after 3 years, it's the time that I put into it is why I can't bring myself to drive her, if I scratched that shell!!!!!! Anyhow, enjoy.

This one looks nice :D  https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Team-Associated-RC10-Worlds-Car-6037-6037-1993-1994-World-Champion-Replica-1-10/323075553744?hash=item4b38cdb9d0:g:lxgAAOSwttVahKso

It's been a long time coming but I finally got round to mounting the body.

a74WAva6xnXBVoWc9GmnBMPQZioxlOmJNloDXHM5

VPqpI9-xrDaqAOlT7s_Vn5i6FvVT66egODoh0IYj

• Like 7