Sign in to follow this  
Lebowski

Grasshopper modifications

So recently I added a Grasshopper to my collection, a Black Edition no less. Very happy with the purchase and it's simplicity is quite charming. It already has a few modifications - Rising fighter wishbones, CVA's all around, rear suspension brace, alloy rear bubs, alloy front bumper, Carbon reinforced front uprights, sport tuned motor and ballraced so all in all its got potential. 

However, there's 2 things I really dislike.  1) those side rails - all the strength of cooked spaghetti. Are there any alloy alternatives available? And 2) The whole rear suspension set up. I can live with a solid rear axle, I get that. What I can't understand is the fact it has no twist side to side - literally the whole rear just bounces up and down in one motion! (Ironic that I saw a stabiliser set for it on eBay!!) Are there any conversions that allow it to twist and give some form of independent movement (think fossil type real cars like Ford Mustangs) 

Any help and advice will be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks very much. I've ordered the Hornet D parts and MD12 springs. As for those bars, think I will pass at those prices! 😲

If you feel confident using basic hand tools, then maybe you could buy some 5 or 6mm aluminium rod and make some.. ;-)

Aren't the nerf bars meant to be for protection? And if that is the case, does not the same argument apply to them as to bumpers? Namely that they should be flexible and springy so as to help absorb impacts rather than transfer them to the chassis itself? And if that is the case, would stiff alloy ones not be considered a downgrade? (Albeit a blingy one?)

A valid point but it's not for racing, just blasting around on sand etc. I feel the current side bars would offer no roll very protection and alloys might give it a fighting chance! Plus they look better ! 😆

Almost forgot to order the 95mm shaft for the rear suspension,  luckily Tony's Tamiya parts had one in at a very reasonable price! I also have an adjustable alloy motor mount to fit. So with the Sport tuned motor I have the requisite 18t pinion but the motor mount allows a range of 16 to 22. What would be best for sand and dune trailing?

20 hours ago, Lebowski said:

A valid point but it's not for racing, just blasting around on sand etc. I feel the current side bars would offer no roll very protection and alloys might give it a fighting chance! Plus they look better ! 😆

Almost forgot to order the 95mm shaft for the rear suspension,  luckily Tony's Tamiya parts had one in at a very reasonable price! I also have an adjustable alloy motor mount to fit. So with the Sport tuned motor I have the requisite 18t pinion but the motor mount allows a range of 16 to 22. What would be best for sand and dune trailing?

I have a 16t pinion fitted with the sport tuned motor. Just as fast but adds a bit more toque, ideal for sand & dirt. 

Cool, i'll give that a go. Combined with all the other mods it should be a decent runner! Saying that, not sure about taking it out with that rare black body shell so might have to source a regular white one first!

I've got a White standard Shell  and Decal Sheet spare if you need one?

I ordered a GH today just for the Gearbox and some other parts that I need for a custom project I'm working on.

Not sure on price...find the cheapest on eBay and knock a few quid off and its yours ;) 

Thanks for the offer Phil. However, I've decided to buy an entire brand new Grasshopper as it's only 58 quid so that means not only do i get body, decals, wheels and tyres but naturally a whole set of spares too!

• Like 1

So I got the Hornet parts and fitted them but that presented an entirely new problem which I'm sure most Hornet owners are more than familiar with - the whole gearbox assembly shifting forward and up under acceleration and having very poor movement control.

So I read up on a 5th shock absorbers.  Seemed easy enough to do on a Lunchbox/Pumpkin but it seemed most thought it wasn't possible on a Hornet/Grasshopper due to a lack of space. I saw one solution that added a shock absorber each side but this seemed far too over the top and made it look too cluttered.

Having CVA shocks all round on mine meant the originals were surplus to requirement, in particular the tiny front units. A small modification to the gearbox housing and one small hole drilled to the back of the chassis meant the 5th shock was easily housed and has completely eliminated the problem! Simple and free!

Try this piece from AMPro:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/KU6R78L27/045005-03-hornet-trans-batt-door-retainer-no-tab?optionId=59110649

And get an upgraded battery door too.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/EC8HUPB67/043001-01-battery-door-grasshopper-w-hornet-rear?optionId=59767191

I have both on my Grasshopper and they look awesome. Articulation is exactly as it's supposed to be too with nothing hindering movement. I recommend checking out AMPro/Pintopower's YouTube Channel for fitment instructions. I got my parts before he did the vids and, I'm glad to say, I didn't do too badly. I almost ruined a part or two but just about managed to do good. :) 

edit:

Oops. I thought you were asking for an alternative to the 5th shock. I must've had something else in my head when I read your post. I didn't see that you'd already solved your problem. :)