Well here is the finished body.  Or at least partially finished.  I don't like the light bar in the front, but I think it needs a bumper of some kind.

This didn't turn out like I expected.  The paint job is a disaster.  Lots of bubbles in the decals.  And the decals, which are from MCI Racing, leave a lot to be desired.  The print quality is low.  The decals have fuzzy edges, there are discolored artifacts randomly throughout the decals, and the quality of the plastic and adhesive just isn't there. 

37556464606_8da0438bcf_b.jpg

36894767124_bfcba0191a_b.jpg

36944736383_5c482f0c9e_b.jpg

36944801813_cb8b56e9fd_b.jpg

the marks on the shell look like water marks from washing prior to paint - did you dry the shell fully before painting ? 

some people use forced air drying, but i prefer to wipe dry with a clean microfibre cloth which ensures no water spots (wet or dried) . I then blow dry with a warm hair-drier which also helps warm the shell for the first layer of paint too !

1 hour ago, JatoTheRipper said:

Well here is the finished body.  Or at least partially finished.  I don't like the light bar in the front, but I think it needs a bumper of some kind.

This didn't turn out like I expected.  The paint job is a disaster.  Lots of bubbles in the decals.  And the decals, which are from MCI Racing, leave a lot to be desired.  The print quality is low.  The decals have fuzzy edges, there are discolored artifacts randomly throughout the decals, and the quality of the plastic and adhesive just isn't there. 

I'm not going to lie, you messed that up badly........

On the plus side you have a perfect shell for bashing that you won't give two monkeys about every time you go roll it. That is a massive bonus and as many will attest to, something which is really hard to achieve :D

A replacement shell isn't that much either.

Did you contact MCI, their decals are normally pretty passable but never going to be a replacement for the real thing. 

Bubbles in the decals are easily solved retrospectively with a hair dryer, medium heat, careful reworking and plenty of patience. Unless you mean it's a manufacturing fault. 

The streaks look like soap / grease stains from washing. 

2 hours ago, Percymon said:

the marks on the shell look like water marks from washing prior to paint - did you dry the shell fully before painting ? 

some people use forced air drying, but i prefer to wipe dry with a clean microfibre cloth which ensures no water spots (wet or dried) . I then blow dry with a warm hair-drier which also helps warm the shell for the first layer of paint too !

The shell was thoroughly dried with a hair dryer.  There was absolutely no moisture on the body when I started painting.

2 hours ago, Prescient said:

I'm not going to lie, you messed that up badly........

On the plus side you have a perfect shell for bashing that you won't give two monkeys about every time you go roll it. That is a massive bonus and as many will attest to, something which is really hard to achieve :D

A replacement shell isn't that much either.

Did you contact MCI, their decals are normally pretty passable but never going to be a replacement for the real thing. 

Bubbles in the decals are easily solved retrospectively with a hair dryer, medium heat, careful reworking and plenty of patience. Unless you mean it's a manufacturing fault. 

The streaks look like soap / grease stains from washing. 

It looks much better in person, thankfully.  The defects don't jump out as much.

Exactly.  I have a shell I don't care about.  It was crap from the start, as I mentioned, because it's way, way too thin in certain areas.  It was a defective body from Tamiya.

Yep, I have to get the hair dryer on it when I have time.

Here are photos of it out in the wild.  It looks pretty good in the sun.  I wish the anodized blue was darker.  You can see the defects in the paint and body, but oh well.  The first rollover won't hurt so bad.

36952791533_929d6ed37f_b.jpg

23770669798_c087eab91b_b.jpg

23770667678_b0c9441170_b.jpg

• Like 2

I had a holiday on Tuesday and a house to myself.  I was doing some liquid masking on my TT-01E semi and while that was drying I decided to work on my TA02T.

I had gotten these Yeah Racing upgrades a while back.

38750218614_bdbee0ed64_b.jpg

When I disassembled the truck I noticed something was missing?  Do you see it?  Hint - it's at the rear.

I forgot to install the small bearing on the output gear.  Freaking noob! :P  I went and looked through my Desert Fielder leftovers and, sure enough, there was a perfect size bearing there.  I have no idea how I overlooked this.  

24592319357_80cbede6f6_b.jpg

Here's the Yeah Racing prop shaft and outdrives installed.  I don't like that they included a smaller outer diameter e-clips.  And the outdrives have anodizing in the e-clip slot.  You really have to work to get the e-clips and and get the anodizing out of the groove.  I'm still not convinced these e-clips are going to stay in place.  They are also thinner than the stock Tamiya e-clips so, unfortunately, you can't use the Tamiya e-clips with these Yeah Racing outdrives.  It looks nice, but I'm not convinced it's going to hold up.  What have your experiences been with this Yeah Racing prop shaft kit?

39428070232_0194958195_b.jpg

The Yeah Racing motor plate installed without issue.  I haven't had a chance to run it yet, but it rolls like the gear mesh is fine.  My only minor gripe is that it doesn't have the holes marked like the Tamiya part does.  It simply has a dot next to two holes.  Those are the holes for a 16T pinion.

38750213954_aff10f0bc7_b.jpg

39428068742_012611bf1b_b.jpg

Sorry I missed your paint job first time around, I love how the colour has come out.  Those tyres look awesome too, I'll bet it rolls real easy on tarmac though?  I think the stock wheels and tyres are too big for the body, I might have to get some of those on mine, when I finally get around to painting it.

Those spots in the paint definitely look like marks where water has dried on the surface after washing.  I've had that before where I washed a body then left it to dry naturally on the drainer.

Now I always use a microfibre to clean up after washing.  It takes a bit of time and patience (OK, about 5 minutes, but I'm really impatient too, so it usually feels like a lifetime).  I go over each part of the shell carefully, taking water spots away from the inside and the outside, until I'm sure it's totally dry.

If you let it dry naturally, or use a hairdryer, any minerals suspended in the water will stay on the body leaving water marks.  They might not show too bad on solid colours but some paints really show them up.  If you use a microfibre while the body is still wet then any minerals in the water will be drawn away when the water soaks into the cloth.

• Thanks 1

On 1/4/2018 at 5:27 AM, Mad Ax said:

Sorry I missed your paint job first time around, I love how the colour has come out.  Those tyres look awesome too, I'll bet it rolls real easy on tarmac though?  I think the stock wheels and tyres are too big for the body, I might have to get some of those on mine, when I finally get around to painting it.

Those spots in the paint definitely look like marks where water has dried on the surface after washing.  I've had that before where I washed a body then left it to dry naturally on the drainer.

Now I always use a microfibre to clean up after washing.  It takes a bit of time and patience (OK, about 5 minutes, but I'm really impatient too, so it usually feels like a lifetime).  I go over each part of the shell carefully, taking water spots away from the inside and the outside, until I'm sure it's totally dry.

If you let it dry naturally, or use a hairdryer, any minerals suspended in the water will stay on the body leaving water marks.  They might not show too bad on solid colours but some paints really show them up.  If you use a microfibre while the body is still wet then any minerals in the water will be drawn away when the water soaks into the cloth.

Thank you!  I like the color too.  It's just a bummer about the spots.  It might be water spots.  Maybe I just never saw them before because I have never painted a color like this before.  I will wipe my Lexan bodies with rubbing alcohol before painting to, hopefully, get rid of water spots and other debris.  I don't have any patience either especially when it comes to painting!

I love the look of the wheels and tires too.  It does roll easily on tarmac.  I got the tire and wheel idea from a friend.  He has them on his TA02T and his handles well.  He put some internal limiters inside of his shocks.  I need to do that.  His will go around turns and kick the back end out and when it does the tires squeal like a 1:1.  I love it!  LOL  The tires were difficult to find since HPI parts supply is pretty poor these days.