Janner

Newly purchased Avante 2001 running slow

Hi all, I picked up a nice condition Avante 2001 runner. I took it out for a small test run last night and boy is it slow! I thought it might be the original Sports Tuned motor so I popped a new one in. Could the futaba electrics be the problem or is it the pinion. It is islower than my stock Hopper, thats how slow it is......

Could it also be the grease in the gearboxes? It looks quite thick.

Cheers

If its a restriction in the drivetrain then the motor and ESC should get hot pretty quickly, maybe even thermal trip the ESC ?

You could test the driveltrain by supporting the chassis and just turning each wheel individually by hand to check each diff, and by turning a pair at a time to check the front to back transmission

If its used it could have anythign in the way of grease - ive bought cars with auto gearbox grease in, thick ceramic grease and far worse lol!

What pinion is it running ?  It's 20T for stock motor

Pinion / spur gear interaction - too tight ?  Probably not if you've changed motors.

How well does the motor spin when out of the car but powered by the ESC (ie  in full radio mode but not actually powering the drivetrain ) ?

How tight is the pinion ball diff? If this has loosened over time you may be losing power. See step 32 in the manual. 

Thanks @Percymon. Both motor seems to spin up the same out of the car. I did notice one of the wheel hex hubs has worn, so is not powering the front right wheel. I will also look at page 32, so thank you @frameskip. I'll check the pinion when I take it apart for a clean out. I noticed a rogue screw in the from wishbone so I want to get that changed. Other than that it is pretty good.