Saito2

DT02 vs DT03

Trying to decide between a Sand Viper and a Racing Fighter. I'm not sure about the super narrow, long looks of the DT03 or the plastic drivecups/shafts. If however, the DT03 is a superior performer to the older DT02 platform, I might go for it. From the looks, it seems to have a better front kickup, and centered steering over the DT02. Do these make it a better buggy? How's the durability between the two? Looking for a cheap, guilt free basher.

• Like 1

I've owned both but kept the dt02!

In stock form the dt03 edges it...

Once upgrading, faster motors etc are added the dt02 is the winner!

It all comes down to the brittle dt03 chassis, it didn't take much for an impact at speed to snap the nose off! 

I kept my DT02 and sold my DT03 purely from a cosmetic viewpoint, the DT03 has a long wheelbase which unlike the DT02 doesn't lend itself to many different types of look apart from Buggy... my DT02 can switch between Sand Viper Buggy and now Nissan Titan truck shell with some minor adjustments.

Running wise both were plenty strong, although lately there have been a couple threads here about the DT03 rear gearbox breaking at the arm hinge... but look how cheap the DT03 is and that new Chrome edition one looks nice.

We have run both in our Eurocup race-Series Buggy class, where the youngest (age 6 and above) can participate. To be honest- this class is almost similar to destruction derby ! I can tell you folks - these kids beat the badword out of them race by race:D
When it comes to durability, both chassis are incredible.
Perform-wise, the DT-03 is the much better racer, the longer wheelbase is a big increasement of stability. So for me, if i would have to choose between them, i'd have a clear go for the DT-03.

• Like 1

Plus if you prefer the truck options, I think the DT-03T Aqroshot looks far nicer than the DT-02 Nissan Titan.

Out of curiosity, the DT platform often gets criticized for understeer. Wouldn't the longer wheelbase of the newer DT03 make this condition even worse? I like the ORV-style space frame chassis concept reminiscent of the Frog on the DT03. I don't like the lack of proper bearings and the chunky plastic drive cups which, I'm now reading, drag on the rear arms in places. Leaning towards the Sand Viper now...

You can fit the DT-03 with metal shafts, cups and axles. The two models share the same gearbox, arms and hubs, so drivetrain parts are fully interchangeable.

If you add universals with the metal drive cups and turnbuckles the dt03 is a great durable  basher. I Know those hop ups arent cheap but it makes a difference in performance. The only weak point i can say is the gearcase for the dt03 and dt02.  I have broken 3 but it might be due to having a brushless motor  and flips. 

Thank you all for your input. Despite some strong arguments for the DT03, I went with the DT02. The cost of adding bearings, metal drive shafts and cups exceeded the cost savings by going with the DT03. Plus the DT02 still has camber adjustment. In the end, I just couldn't get myself to like the long 'n narrow look of the DT03 either. Its long. longer than my 201x. Thanks again.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Saito2 said:

Thank you all for your input. Despite some strong arguments for the DT03, I went with the DT02. The cost of adding bearings, metal drive shafts and cups exceeded the cost savings by going with the DT03. Plus the DT02 still has camber adjustment. In the end, I just couldn't get myself to like the long 'n narrow look of the DT03 either. Its long. longer than my 201x. Thanks again.

........ and you can always flip the 02 front arms over if you want more wheelbase.

My DT02 - quick and nimble, my DT03 - point and squirt stable. How’s your driving style?

I dunno the dt02 must be amazing because my Dt03 with a touch of positive camber and a little toe out does great at our local sand track. Oversteers if anything especially being 2wd and overpowered as it is.. I usually turn the steering EPA down by 1/4 and the car really commands the turns. 

Then my other cars out there are a Lunchbox and a Blackfoot, both modded but neither great in those conditions.

The DN-01 I think gets overlooked, it comes with white wheels and you don't gotta paint the wing pink.

the thing is it comes with oil shocks, adjustable turnbuckles and full bearings, a ball diff and steel drive dogbones, stainless steel hinge pins. By the time you add up the cost of those things added to a dt-02 or DT-03 the DN-01 is in fact very very price competitive now that the average price of the 58477 is now around $190USD. Consider your paying around or more than $100 usd for a DT-03 or DT-02 kit.

Not to mention a tenfold superior overall chassis no matter how you look at it. On top of that a TRF201 slipper clutch bolts straight on, not to mention most of the TRF201 parts fit, like the heatsink motor mount, alloy rear knuckles and various other parts. It's actually fairly cheap to make it a TRF201.

IMG_3636.JPG

• Like 2

I like both but I find the DT02 a little prone to bump steer whereas the DT03 you can drive over awful broken tarmac or concrete and it seems to hold its line even when it's in the air half the time. I would agree it's maybe a little more prone to understeer with modest power but it's blissfully composed and easy to drive fast.

The DT02 is a little more fidgety but it does seem to be a little more agile for it too.

Both great chassis, the DT02 was a big leap at the time and world's away from the hoppers and DT01. The DT03 benefits from being a newer design though and feels more precise but not so much that it isn't fun.

I don't think you can go far wrong with either really.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Juls1 said:

The DN-01 I think gets overlooked, it comes with white wheels and you don't gotta paint the wing pink.

the thing is it comes with oil shocks, adjustable turnbuckles and full bearings, a ball diff and steel drive dogbones, stainless steel hinge pins. By the time you add up the cost of those things added to a dt-02 or DT-03 the DN-01 is in fact very very price competitive now that the average price of the 58477 is now around $190USD. Consider your paying around or more than $100 usd for a DT-03 or DT-02 kit.

Not to mention a tenfold superior overall chassis no matter how you look at it. On top of that a TRF201 slipper clutch bolts straight on, not to mention most of the TRF201 parts fit, like the heatsink motor mount, alloy rear knuckles and various other parts. It's actually fairly cheap to make it a TRF201.

IMG_3636.JPG

I have a dn01, it blows the dt03 out of the water in every aspect. Mine is basically a trf201 now minus the aeration shocks with everything changed from aluminum outdrives,universals and most tamiya aluminum upgrades except steering hop up. Tamiya usa sells it for $110 too. 

The DN01 is a great deal from Tamiya USA and does get (all to often) overlooked. A lot of folks don't remember the Zahhak or that's its still around. I got the TRF201 from Tamiya USA for around $175. Great deal as well. Since the DF02 will be going to my daughter and /or wife, I wanted something with a gear diff and minimal (read: no) upkeep. I'd feel oddly guilty letting nicer buggy like the DN01 go in the maintainance department.

Oh heck if it’s for a non RC enthusiast a bog stock DT-0 whatever will do the job. That being said a DT-01 fighter buggy RX was my first real RC when I was 12, it did a huge amount of work but ultimately that chassis was never a great car but it’s impossible handling certainly helped me learn to drive the hard way. 

DT-02 has the advantage there are numerous models available with increasing standard kit, which if you are in the habit of hopping up cars isn't a bad way to start and save money overall.  The -02 also has lots of things you can tinker with over time, swapping the front arms over to increase wheelbase for instance.

DT-02_Sand_Viper.jpg

The DT-03 is pretty narrow but well packaged - with a shorty lipo pack you can play around with the weight distribution somewhat (ditto the DT-02). 

DT-03_Neo_Fighter_8.jpg

DT-03_Neo_Fighter_1.jpg

Both kits go together quickly, the servo is more accesible on the -02 once built, so if you do need to replace or upgrade it's much quicker swap over.

It sounds like there isn't much difference so choose on which looks best. Which is the Sand Viper, get that one

Out of interest, when people say its more nimble and better in tight spaces, whats your definition of tight spaces? I have approx 400sqm backyard which is roughly square, is that tight? It would be enormous in London but barely room for a shed in Texas...

• Like 1

Typical outdoor UK track..

telford_mcc_002a.jpg

Indoor tracks can be tighter as they are often held in village halls at local club level, or larger halls for national events..

tracksmall.jpg

When I say I love the nimbleness of the DT02, it is probably down to the wheel base but I’m sure it has more steering lock somehow. I’ve been trying to think of a good word to use and I think I have. I find the 02 much more engaging to drive and the 03 a bit clinical. That probably comes from the 03 having better geometry and being generally more modern. 

On the 02, I needed to reduce the slop at the front end with a few shims in all the joints for speed runs. Once the steering play has been sorted I run with the endpoints around 30-40%. That makes a huge difference to stability buy glossing over steering over correction at speed.

I’ve just bought a great TA01 chassis for a speed car, so my Viper plans will have to wait now but I will have one sitting with my Kyosho cars. I’d still never part with my Gator clone thingy. 

11 hours ago, iluvmud said:

DT01...... nuff said!!

Lol

To be fair to that chassis though, someone at Tamiya must have been bitterly determined to make the solid axle design actually function because almost every difference between it and the Grasshopper chasiss exists purely to try and make the rear suspension actually work and they sort of succeeded.

It's not a great chasiss in the scheme of things but the rear suspension does actually work a little when the car is under power so it has one up on the hopper/hornet and it tends to spend less time on it's roof. The same crude effectiveness works well in the Mad Bull too.

Not on the same level as the DT02 and 03 though, completely different in every way.