Saito2

DT02 vs DT03

1 hour ago, Rb4276 said:

True i did that with mine. I have every hop up minus the aluminum steering and aeration shocks. It was fun to gradually add pieces though, some can be had very cheap

Very true, if you can keep searching for cheap parts (especially now Banzai are no longer Tamiya) then the gradual upgrade path can be another approach, but there aren't many TRF201s being bought, run and repaired so the supply of spares (or hop-ups for DN-01) isn;t that great or reliable these days.

9 hours ago, Juggular said:

I was a bystander, leisurely reading about DT02 vs DT03.  Yet, a week later, DN-01 arrives.  (The force is so weak with me...)

My wife said, "it's so pink, even I won't take it."  I said, "don't worry, all this pink is just for me. Mine, My Purresscious~ (imagine the Golem voice here)"  

Zahhak.thumb.jpg.b35eda7bfe5055340b33e74e900dd787.jpg

I owe the decision to Juls1 who introduced DN-01.  And Funracer, whose photos I found here in Tamiya Club.  

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=109147&sid=26031

Funracer did such an impressive paint job below, I thought, "wow, it doesn't have to look like an angry pink unicorn going berserk.  Now I can buy it."

(Just so you know, I thank both of you. But you guys are not going to be on my wife's favorite people list anytime soon. Such is RC life...right?)

img26031_27062011184810_1_1100_.thumb.jpg.896d4155cd63feb1a9e1c77d5ea08f21.jpg

If you go brushless i would definitely add front suspension weight. My dn01 wheels never stayed planted until i added that. Someone on ebay had a bunch of them for $19.99 last winter

19 minutes ago, Rb4276 said:

"wow, it doesn't have to look like an angry pink unicorn going berserk.

😂🤣😂🤣

9 hours ago, Percymon said:

DN-01 is a good buy, provided you don't start buying upgrades/hop-ups - when you start down that track you might as well have bought the TRF201 in the first place (and possibly saved a bit of money by the time its built).

That was perfectly timed.  With the kit, I ordered a floor pan and a heat sink.  Quite disappointingly, I can't tell if the floor pan is any stiffer at all.  Without knowing, I already had one foot in the rabbit hole.  Your words grabbed me before falling in completely, so thank you.  Upgrading can be fun too, but from the start, what I wanted was an inexpensive basher.  I should keep it as such.  

6 minutes ago, Juggular said:

That was perfectly timed.  With the kit, I ordered a floor pan and a heat sink.  Quite disappointingly, I can't tell if the floor pan is any stiffer at all.  Without knowing, I already had one foot in the rabbit hole.  Your words grabbed me before falling in completely, so thank you.  Upgrading can be fun too, but from the start, what I wanted was an inexpensive basher.  I should keep it as such.  

And as a kit build its very good value !   Enjoy

15 hours ago, Juggular said:

I thought, "wow, it doesn't have to look like an angry pink unicorn going berserk.  Now I can buy it.

Think this might have been attempted already by @TwistedxSlayer 

tmp_2041-20160512_151755-1959318012.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I am thinking of buying the DF-02 titan, would like to add some hop-ups from start, needed or not, just would like to do so.

Does the DT-03 shock towers fit the Titan for example?

Is there a better way to mount hex wheels then the gpm hex bearing adapter? Would like to use bolt on parts,

What parts will break using about 4-5000kv?

3 hours ago, Silverado said:

I am thinking of buying the DF-02 titan, would like to add some hop-ups from start, needed or not, just would like to do so.

Does the DT-03 shock towers fit the Titan for example?

Is there a better way to mount hex wheels then the gpm hex bearing adapter? Would like to use bolt on parts,

What parts will break using about 4-5000kv?

The DT03 don't fit the DT02. There is a DT03 carbon set, but they're like small carbon extensions to the tower. 

Only way I have seen to do hex on the front as you would want is to replace the entire hub end assembly with parts from a Kyosho RB5. C-hubs, steering arms, axles. It's a 3mm shaft for the c hub, so I would guess any brands 2wd race buggy parts would fit. 

With that kind of power you'll struggle with motor temps at the higher end of that bracket. With 4400kv and truck wheels my DT03 was mental fast (too fast really) and really high motor temps because you are limited on gearing. The diff bevels wore out pretty fast, but they're cheap to replace. I have a 3450kv 10.5t motor in mine now with the smallest 17t pinion and it's still fast, but temps all stay reasonable as do run times.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

The DT03 don't fit the DT02. There is a DT03 carbon set, but they're like small carbon extensions to the tower. 

Only way I have seen to do hex on the front as you would want is to replace the entire hub end assembly with parts from a Kyosho RB5. C-hubs, steering arms, axles. It's a 3mm shaft for the c hub, so I would guess any brands 2wd race buggy parts would fit. 

With that kind of power you'll struggle with motor temps at the higher end of that bracket. With 4400kv and truck wheels my DT03 was mental fast (too fast really) and really high motor temps because you are limited on gearing. The diff bevels wore out pretty fast, but they're cheap to replace. I have a 3450kv 10.5t motor in mine now with the smallest 17t pinion and it's still fast, but temps all stay reasonable as do run times.

Thanks for the reply. I am trying to find a nice basher that would not need too much work to keep running. I have had trx slash,rustler and stampede earlier and was trying to find Tamiya version of some of these. Really liking the short course looks of the Titan.

I have sold the traxxas stuff about a decade a go and now thinking what to do here. The grey traxxas plastics is just bad to look at. Hence the idea of looking at Tamiya again. Sadly I think the Traxxas is better value for bashing. darn it.

I have few sidewinder esc´s and 4300kv motor so was thinking adding these to titan but I get it may be too much.(the motor is really 380 in 540 can, but the rpm´s are high even if it has low torgue) 

I guess More thinking needed...

Dt-02 easily copes with 4600kv, I had one in mine

1 hour ago, Silverado said:

Thanks for the reply. I am trying to find a nice basher that would not need too much work to keep running. I have had trx slash,rustler and stampede earlier and was trying to find Tamiya version of some of these. Really liking the short course looks of the Titan.

I have sold the traxxas stuff about a decade a go and now thinking what to do here. The grey traxxas plastics is just bad to look at. Hence the idea of looking at Tamiya again. Sadly I think the Traxxas is better value for bashing. darn it.

I have few sidewinder esc´s and 4300kv motor so was thinking adding these to titan but I get it may be too much.(the motor is really 380 in 540 can, but the rpm´s are high even if it has low torgue) 

I guess More thinking needed...

It easily copes with the power and nothing broke. My diff bevels were a year old when thry wore out, and cheap to replace. If you have that kit already run it and just keep the esc settings steady with zero timing and minimal punch and it will be fine.