Saito2

DT02 vs DT03

4 hours ago, nowinaminute said:

Lol

To be fair to that chassis though, someone at Tamiya must have been bitterly determined to make the solid axle design actually function because almost every difference between it and the Grasshopper chasiss exists purely to try and make the rear suspension actually work and they sort of succeeded.

It's not a great chasiss in the scheme of things but the rear suspension does actually work a little when the car is under power so it has one up on the hopper/hornet and it tends to spend less time on it's roof. The same crude effectiveness works well in the Mad Bull too.

Not on the same level as the DT02 and 03 though, completely different in every way.

LIES!!!!

i know, just messing :) 

How dare you guys post side by side shots of the dt02 and 03 showing how much sharper the 02 looks and making me want one.. Before I decided on the DT03 (compliments of Jason's speed run) I was researching the dt02 as my second car.

Now I must resist.. cant.. give.. in.. to temptation!! 

5 hours ago, Munchbox said:

How dare you guys post side by side shots of the dt02 and 03 showing how much sharper the 02 looks and making me want one.. Before I decided on the DT03 (compliments of Jason's speed run) I was researching the dt02 as my second car.

Now I must resist.. cant.. give.. in.. to temptation!! 

Just because the 03 shells look pony doesn't mean you have to be limited by them

20170529_09153020170529_091639

Whats the difference between the Sand Viper and Desert Gator? To me the shells look pretty much the same and they both have bearings and CVA's, but one of the local shops has the Desert Gator for $260 and Sand Viper for $225 which suggests there should be a difference.

32 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Whats the difference between the Sand Viper and Desert Gator? To me the shells look pretty much the same and they both have bearings and CVA's, but one of the local shops has the Desert Gator for $260 and Sand Viper for $225 which suggests there should be a difference.

Don't think there's any difference in spec from what I can see. We quite often get price variations like this due to exchange rates being up and down and some shops wanting to turn stock. Do they both include ESC? That's often a differentiator over here.

Thunder that's pretty cool but I wish I could find a SCT body that would fit my Dt03. It's almost worth getting a dt02 just to turn it into a SCT. 

On second thought a TT02b with some SCT tires could be very interesting as well. Say Proline Badlands?

7 hours ago, Munchbox said:

Thunder that's pretty cool but I wish I could find a SCT body that would fit my Dt03. It's almost worth getting a dt02 just to turn it into a SCT. 

On second thought a TT02b with some SCT tires could be very interesting as well. Say Proline Badlands?

Tamiya do an SCT version, the aqroshot. I think they are a vajra shell? 

Yeah I've seen the Aqroshot.. gotta say I think 4wd is the way to go for SCT.. my brother has an ECX Torment 4wd with a Castle combo and Proline Badlands on it.. tough as nails, quick and turns like it's on rails.

I still wonder about a TT02b with a similar setup.. what's the wheelbase on a TT02b?

Thats not bad.. the dt02 is 260mm so the Titan shell would fit.. hmm maybe I should finish my Blackfoot project before I start planning more builds!

• Like 1

I can't comment on the DT-02 because I don't own one, but my DT-03 has been heavily used and I haven't broken a thing on it.  I drove it all the time on my backyard track up until I got my tt-02B.  The long wheel base of the DT-03 can't hold a candle to the short wheelbase 4wd of the tt-02b.  The front end of the Dt-03 is really light.  I'm going to try adding some weight to the front to see if that helps steering.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Munchbox said:

Thats not bad.. the dt02 is 260mm so the Titan shell would fit.. hmm maybe I should finish my Blackfoot project before I start planning more builds!

No need to wait my good man, you see generally a man's brain is not equipped to multi task, but the one universally recognised exception is RC builds... we can cope with two, sometimes 3 at a time.

17 minutes ago, Jason1145 said:

No need to wait my good man, you see generally a man's brain is not equipped to multi task, but the one universally recognised exception is RC builds... we can cope with two, sometimes 3 at a time.

This also holds for when you don't have a project, you can cope with researching multiple projects at a time. And hijacking multiple threads at a time...

8 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

This also holds for when you don't have a project, you can cope with researching multiple projects at a time. And hijacking multiple threads at a time...

Ha see, the list grows... and also conjuring up ways to get new projects into the house under the wife's nose... the ultimate use of craft.

I'd like to see a SCT version of a DT02 Nissan Titan.

6 minutes ago, Jason1145 said:

Ha see, the list grows... and also conjuring up ways to get new projects into the house under the wife's nose... the ultimate use of craft.

I have 2 lists now...

Checked the weather forecast and its for rain tomorrow. On the one hand I'll be gutted to miss a days racing, especially since I'm past the nervous stage and enjoying it, but on the other it helps with them story to get the indoor onroad cars. I planted the seed the other day "sometimes I wish I had gone with indoor racing, looks like this weekend will be cancelled, again, and they don't have rain days to make up for it..."

SCT are really big, how big is the DT02 Nissan Titan? The name titan suggests it should be big

No bigger than the buggy. Compared to SCTs from other manufacturers, it is quite tiny.

7 hours ago, Jason1145 said:

This is one of my specialities. I've taken to pockets for smuggling in hop ups and other small flat-ish things but the bigger stuff is where the real fun is.

I've taken a few packages around the side of the house then come back in, reported "nothing important in the mail today" then headed out the back door and around to get my goodies and back into the garage to store them.

My problem is that she's sharp as a tack and knows exactly what cars I have. Maybe that's why I'm trying mashups of the cars I have; subconsciously I'm trying to confuse her so she doesn't know what I have and I can get more!

Also to fill the gap in space between new builds I suppose..

At any rate I'll add the Nissan Titan SCT to my list. So far I'm thinking a TT02b with the Titan shell, metal gears, big pinion and something like Proline Badlands. Probably a 4300kv brushless. 

• Haha 1

On 9/25/2017 at 1:43 AM, Juls1 said:

The DN-01 I think gets overlooked, it comes with white wheels and you don't gotta paint the wing pink.

the thing is it comes with oil shocks, adjustable turnbuckles and full bearings, a ball diff and steel drive dogbones, stainless steel hinge pins. By the time you add up the cost of those things added to a dt-02 or DT-03 the DN-01 is in fact very very price competitive now that the average price of the 58477 is now around $190USD. Consider your paying around or more than $100 usd for a DT-03 or DT-02 kit.

Not to mention a tenfold superior overall chassis no matter how you look at it. On top of that a TRF201 slipper clutch bolts straight on, not to mention most of the TRF201 parts fit, like the heatsink motor mount, alloy rear knuckles and various other parts. It's actually fairly cheap to make it a TRF201.

IMG_3636.JPG

I was randomly reading forum stuff and found this to be very informative.  I downloaded the manual, and it is indeed maxed out (albeit in plastic parts). 

I promised myself that I'd get a DT02 Sand Rover (because it's goofy looking, and I must have goofy things).  I'm not into racing vehicles, but DN01 looks so temptingly better, in technical aspects.  If I build a coffee table my wife wants, she may allow one more piece of "clutter" in the house.  That may just be Zahhak.  

Thank you for shedding light on the overlooked (but very capable) buggy.  It's good to know that wheels don't come in pink!  

• Like 2

On 28/09/2017 at 8:43 PM, Jonathon Gillham said:

Nah it will be buy-in price. The lhs would have paid x dollars to buy it from distributor 5 years ago when it was more popular/newer or/and dollar was worth less compared to maybe 2 years ago for the viper. My LHS has approx 6-7 tractor trucks in stock, a couple of them are $50 more just because of the exchange rate when they were bought.

I was a bystander, leisurely reading about DT02 vs DT03.  Yet, a week later, DN-01 arrives.  (The force is so weak with me...)

My wife said, "it's so pink, even I won't take it."  I said, "don't worry, all this pink is just for me. Mine, My Purresscious~ (imagine the Golem voice here)"  

eL0zkws.jpg

I owe the decision to Juls1 who introduced DN-01.  And Funracer, whose photos I found here in Tamiya Club.  

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=109147&sid=26031

Funracer did such an impressive paint job below, I thought, "wow, it doesn't have to look like an angry pink unicorn going berserk.  Now I can buy it."

(Just so you know, I thank both of you. But you guys are not going to be on my wife's favorite people list anytime soon. Such is RC life...right?)

xwEoxOw.jpg

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Juggular said:

I was a bystander, leisurely reading about DT02 vs DT03.  Yet, a week later, DN-01 arrives.  (The force is so weak with me...)

My wife said, "it's so pink, even I won't take it."  I said, "don't worry, all this pink is just for me. Mine, My Purresscious~ (imagine the Golem voice here)"  

Zahhak.thumb.jpg.b35eda7bfe5055340b33e74e900dd787.jpg

I owe the decision to Juls1 who introduced DN-01.  And Funracer, whose photos I found here in Tamiya Club.  

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=109147&sid=26031

Funracer did such an impressive paint job below, I thought, "wow, it doesn't have to look like an angry pink unicorn going berserk.  Now I can buy it."

(Just so you know, I thank both of you. But you guys are not going to be on my wife's favorite people list anytime soon. Such is RC life...right?)

img26031_27062011184810_1_1100_.thumb.jpg.896d4155cd63feb1a9e1c77d5ea08f21.jpg

Thats often the best way to find them, not really looking then something grabs you. I like the look of the DN01 as the in between car that can handle club racing duties but not so flash like TRF that you can't use it for bashing.

You should do a build thread, I'm really interested to see this one and I'm pretty sure there aren't any already

• Like 1

DN-01 is a good buy, provided you don't start buying upgrades/hop-ups - when you start down that track you might as well have bought the TRF201 in the first place (and possibly saved a bit of money by the time its built).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Percymon said:

DN-01 is a good buy, provided you don't start buying upgrades/hop-ups - when you start down that track you might as well have bought the TRF201 in the first place (and possibly saved a bit of money by the time its built).

True i did that with mine. I have every hop up minus the aluminum steering and aeration shocks. It was fun to gradually add pieces though, some can be had very cheap