ALEXKYRIAK

Alexkyriak's TT02B MS

A beautiful build but i’m having a dejavu moment. I’ve been putting this together from the parts store for a couple of weeks. 😂😂

It doesn't have many of the nice parts you’ve put on, but I’ve Delrin bushed the steering and fitted a high speed gear set. Perhaps i’ll buy some goodies when funds allow.

I’m in the same mind set though, do want to get it dirty?👍  

3QNayd4.jpg

CGh11gd.jpg

HuaeKAq.jpg

• Like 1

On 01/10/2017 at 8:01 PM, ALEXKYRIAK said:

Am nervous to run it, it all looks so pristine...! Was planning to put a protective film on the chassis underside. I've seen it done on other cars. 

This is what I use, underneath and reinforcing the body. Tough as leather and stickier than a box of sticky things.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F262152356747

Hey cool stuff Grandad, snap! Blue and white is such a nice Tamiya colour combo.

In a fit of insanity I will  be building another to same spec, just not with white bits. All black plastics or blue aluminium. This will be definitely run.

I like your choice of body, is that a plasma edge II? Also what are the blue discs on the the body posts? Some sort of cushioning? Also how did you achieve your white gear case part D3? I couldn’t find a TT02B spec version of that part with the three holes in it  I had to make my own using spray paint  

I will try to track down the protective films I’ve seen made by Hot Bodies and Proline. Cricket bat protection is pretty tough stuff alright. 

28 minutes ago, ALEXKYRIAK said:

Hey cool stuff Grandad, snap! Blue and white is such a nice Tamiya colour combo.

In a fit of insanity I will  be building another to same spec, just not with white bits. All black plastics or blue aluminium. This will be definitely run.

I like your choice of body, is that a plasma edge II? Also what are the blue discs on the the body posts? Some sort of cushioning? Also how did you achieve your white gear case part D3? I couldn’t find a TT02B spec version of that part with the three holes in it  I had to make my own using spray paint  

I will try to track down the protective films I’ve seen made by Hot Bodies and Proline. Cricket bat protection is pretty tough stuff alright. 

Yeah, strange that we’re on the same track. The blue discs are foam pads and yes, it’ll be a blue and white Plasma Edge.

I sold the yellow wheels, I still had the white ones from my truck build.

I couldn’t run to your lovely shocks 😍 but I’m waiting for a set of shafts to make my white ones into proper CVAs.

I think this is what you mean?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F253248776656

Sorry I meant part C7. I used D3 from that exact sprue. I had a white set of bits from a TT02 but couldn’t find white bits for TT02B. 

Oh, the diff covers/shock tower mounts. They’re not B parts.

There is a web of plastic, where the third hole usually goes. I drilled through the shock tower and put a stainless screw and nut through it. I just had to shave a little from the top corners to let the middle hole tab drop in. It didn’t break through and you can’t see it when the shock tower is on.

Yeah I learnt that the hard way. I ordered them and realised they didn’t have the right number of holes....! Hence the white spray job. See earlier entries in the build log where I encountered this issue  

In the spirit of thinking the same, I have another TT02B waiting to build in a ‘monster’ configuration. I got the idea whilst attempting to monsterise a DT-03 @ThunderDragonCy style (which is still in the works! I recommend his thread) and then, whilst building the TT02B, I got thinking ‘this would be an interesting car to monsterise!’, hence asking you about your awesome Custom Build in your thread when I saw it and realised what you were up to with it.

I have some black GF01 wheels with the V tyres waiting to go on when this build is ready to get started. Will have questions for you no doubt..... ;) I also ordered a set of the wheel/tyre combo you used on your build.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ALEXKYRIAK said:

Yeah I learnt that the hard way. I ordered them and realised they didn’t have the right number of holes....! Hence the white spray job. See earlier entries in the build log where I encountered this issue  

In the spirit of thinking the same, I have another TT02B waiting to build in a ‘monster’ configuration. I got the idea whilst attempting to monsterise a DT-03 @ThunderDragonCy style (which is still in the works! I recommend his thread) and then, whilst building the TT02B, I got thinking ‘this would be an interesting car to monsterise!’, hence asking you about your awesome Custom Build in your thread.

I have some black GF01 wheels with the V tyres waiting to go on when this build is ready to get started. Will have questions for you no doubt..... ;) I also ordered a set of the wheel/tyre combo you used on your build.

Happy to help. 👍

So just an update on my TT02B build(s). I have almost completed a runner version  of exactly the same spec as in this build thread, except it’ll be standard black chassis and casings. 

I know, wierd or what (or not from reading the ‘you know you’re an rc nut when...’ thread....!!!), but I just couldn’t bring myself to run it. It’s so ... pristine.

So I am finishing off a runner version. Pretty much identical. It brings me a sense of relief that I know this one will be the one that’s going out there into the dirt to wage war against terrain and mud and stones and grit and good, honest, salt of the earth off roading.   

I won’t start a new build thread but I will append to this one.  

On this one I am going to war on slop (!) so will discuss the methods and the success or failures therein  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ALEXKYRIAK said:

So just an update on my TT02B build(s). I have almost completed a runner version  of exactly the same spec as in this build thread, except it’ll be standard black chassis and casings. 

I know, wierd or what (or not from reading the ‘you know you’re an rc nut when...’ thread....!!!), but I just couldn’t bring myself to run it. It’s so ... pristine.

So I am finishing off a runner version. Pretty much identical. It brings me a sense of relief that I know this one will be the one that’s going out there into the dirt to wage war against terrain and mud and stones and grit and good, honest, salt of the earth off roading.   

I won’t start a new build thread but I will append to this one.  

On this one I am going to war on slop (!) so will discuss the methods and the success or failures therein  

I know exactly what you mean. I haven’t even run my white one yet. AND i’ve already ordered parts to finish emptying my parts bin and do a black special. We must have been twins in a past life.

I couldn’t afford the steering bearing kit, this was my slop solution.

UWp16jQ.jpg

WXTirwS.jpg

JvOi1s3.jpgkwGuaxe.jpg

pzpsSjl.jpg

QQfJPTf.jpg

I sense another build thread approaching. 🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️

• Like 3

On 10/12/2017 at 9:24 PM, Granddad Stinky said:

I know exactly what you mean. I haven’t even run my white one yet. AND i’ve already ordered parts to finish emptying my parts bin and do a black special. We must have been twins in a past life.

Ha ha, ‘bro’, I know exactly the feeling.

Your solution looks very good, well done. Yes I got the steering kit, and have ordered a bunch of 0.1mm shims to try to offset various bits of slop in the steering hubs (yeah racing blue). Will keep you posted on how this goes. 

On 10/12/2017 at 9:24 PM, Granddad Stinky said:

Your solution looks very good, well done. Yes I got the steering kit, and have ordered a bunch of 0.1mm shims to try to offset various bits of slop in the steering hubs (yeah racing blue). Will keep you posted on how this goes. 

• Like 1

Any of you add or consider adding a tamiya one way diff 53671? I am considering  it out of boredom with winter here. Ive read on non drifiting or rally car it doesnt help much except for acceleration or coming out of turns. 

1 hour ago, ALEXKYRIAK said:

Please do. I’m trying to invent a bushing arrangement for the steering king pins in the plastic hubs.

Which blue aluminium suspension arms would you recommend? I’m thinking of putting some on the white one, so it releases the black plastic for the black one. I don’t really want to increase my parts bin, buying sprues with parts that I don’t need.

In terms of aluminium arms, I have read on here and other sites on numerous occasions that arms should remain as plastic, rather than ‘upgrading’ them to aluminium. The plastic apparently provides some flex and give in the system. I haven’t tried aluminium arms so am unable to comment, so while the look is reasonably blingy, and I’m not sure if I actually like the look, I haven’t got any.   

Aluminium C-hubs,  knuckles, steering arms  however I have either in GPM, Yeah Racing or Stock Tamiya aluminium parts. The YR  front steering arms and C-hubs look like they have some play in them so this is the bit I want to see if I can fix with shims.

Also I’ve shimmed the lower plastic suspension mounts along their pivot, which I’ve managed to do successfully and feels a lot more solid.

But as someone posted recently on the subject  of ‘Fear Of The Slop’,  it may all be in the mind...!

23 hours ago, Granddad Stinky said:

Which blue aluminium suspension arms would you recommend? I’m thinking of putting some on the white one, so it releases the black plastic for the black one. I don’t really want to increase my parts bin, buying sprues with parts that I don’t need.

If it is going to be a runner, you really don't want alloy arms. However for a shelfer, Yeah Racing blue anodising is usually a good match for Tamiya blue anodising, so those would be my recommendation.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

If it is going to be a runner, you really don't want alloy arms. However for a shelfer, Yeah Racing blue anodising is usually a good match for Tamiya blue anodising, so those would be my recommendation.

Yeah, I think I pass on the aluminium. I will run it one day. 😂

Its a shame that white DF parts don’t fit. 

Ok so further developments in the exciting world of ‘Shims and the Art of Slop Removal’, episode 2...

So as mentioned above I am building the runner version of the same car in this build. I have decided to try to dial out some of the slop and play in the main joints.

My yeah racing front c hub and knuckle arm have some big play, I’ve had to track down the correct sized shim to hopefully deal with that- probably a 5mm or 6mm internal diameter, I have some in the post at various thicknesses of .1mm to .3mm. Will let you know how that goes when I receive them. 

But the 3mm screw pins fitting into the lower arms I can deal with now, with this set of shims:

ShimsShims

They’re 3mm internal diameter, 0.1mm, 0.2mm and  0.3mm thickness respectively. Part number 53585  

Here is the front end as it currently stands: 

Shin upgrades

Looking at the front left from above, you can just make out the 0.3mm thick shin sitting in the front edge of the screw pin between the c hub and the lower arm plastic  

Shin upgrades

here is a closer view:

Shin upgrades

The c hub is now very nice and snug in the end of the lower suspension arm.

The only play in the front arms now is back up at the U shaft at the top of the suspension arm where it’s mounted to the chassis, however this play is in the hole at the chassis itself where part MA12 fits into the chassis. I inserted a 0.5mm shin on this shaft.  

Shims 2

This residual play is more of a rotational characteristic, there is no longitudinal play along the axis of the shaft, you can just see a 0.5mm shim at the front edge  

Shims 2

• Like 1

At the rear, it’s a similar story. The Tamiya kit supplied MB28 and MB29 aluminium uprights A and B had a lot more longitudinal slop or travel along the MB7 screw pin  shaft.  

So here I decided to fit a 0.3mm and a 0.2mm shim (ran out of 0.5mm ones.... doh)

Shin upgradesShin upgradesShin upgrades

Looks like one shim but there’s two in there, honest 

Shin upgrades

So all the uprights front and rear are now slop free and very snug fitting. There’s a little antiwear grease in there and the pivot action is undiminished and free moving  

14 hours ago, ALEXKYRIAK said:

At the rear, it’s a similar story. The Tamiya kit supplied MB28 and MB29 aluminium uprights A and B had a lot more longitudinal slop or travel along the MB7 screw pin  shaft.  

So here I decided to fit a 0.3mm and a 0.2mm shim (ran out of 0.5mm ones.... doh)

Shin upgradesShin upgradesShin upgrades

Looks like one shim but there’s two in there, honest 

Shin upgrades

So all the uprights front and rear are now slop free and very snug fitting. There’s a little antiwear grease in there and the pivot action is undiminished and free moving  

• Like 1

Back to the front end. My 5mm shims arrived to fit over the MB5 screws.

Shims 3

Shims 3

Considering the front left, I have inserted a 0.2mm shim on the top of the yeah racing knuckle arm, fitting against the c-hub.  

This now has totally omitted the vertical travel of the knuckle within c-hub. In the basic install the knuckle would move up and down on the MB5 screws (the big silver ones you can see top and bottom).

Shims 3

detail shot... it’s hard to photograph something that’s 0.2mm thick... from the side...!

Shims 3

• Like 3

Not as much a development as had hoped for. Have added the Savox Black Edition servo (loving this, no jarring orange colours, and it has shorter cable lengths), the Yeah Racing universals,  a GPM hi-torque servo saver and tie rod, and a Yeah Racing aluminium battery plate.

TT02B MS bits

TT02B MS bits

The Asterisk * means (I think): you need to use small gearbox joints from the gearbox with these universal shafts from Yeah Racing:. Part DF03-015V2..,

TT02B MS bits

Above is standard MS kit driveshaft and gear box joint (bottom), next to  the Yeah Racing  universal (top)

TT02B MS bits

TT02B MS bits

And here is chassis as it stands. Loving the blingy bits, but am seriously worried I'll end up not wanting to run it as it looks so niiiiice......  must...fight... urge.

Tt02B msTt02B msTt02B ms

YR universals in place:

Tt02B ms

GPM servo mount on Savox 1251MB black edition servo:

Tt02B ms

And some pics:

Tt02B ms

Tt02B msTt02B ms

Tt02B ms

Tt02B ms

Hope to get a lot more done next weekend to finish it off...   just electrics, body and wheels to go.

• Like 4