ALEXKYRIAK

Alexkyriak's TT02B MS

Hi all, have been away for a while but I am back to try to complete this build thread  before my first child arrives imminently...!

I'll break with tradition and post a teaser picture of the final result, instead of incrementally going through the build sequence steps and photos :) 

I really enjoyed this one. It's a TT02B MS kit at heart, with various body (reverted to Neo Scorcher main body) and wheel modifications. 

TT02B ms x

Will be updating over the next few days. I'll also post all of the hop ups and parts used here soon. 

• Like 3

Ok starting with the nice shiny new box

TT02B MS

....this arrived from Tamico. I got this kit mainly because it was extremely cheap relatively to getting the same kit in the UK but mainly because it includes a raft of hop-ups in the box. Thanks to the good folk on this forum for that tip.

TT02B MS

This was then supplemented with a raft of other extras with wallet-lightening effect  

TT02B MS

I wanted to go a bit unique on this one and was opting for a blue and white theme mainly.  Blue for Tamiya, and white for... well it matches blue!

In the photo above are various carbon parts, some DF-03 dampers and some nice bits of blue aluminium for various bits of the car. Also got the bits and pieces from the gravel hound for the metal gears upgrade. 

• Like 1

Starting with the lovely Tamiya blue aluminium propeller joints for the ends of the drive shaft 

TT02B MS

Rear propeller joint with the ball bearing, prior to spur gear and pinion

TT02B MS

And here with spur gear and metal bevel pinion gear, a hop up from the DF02 Gravel Hound kit. The metal pinion gears will require to be filed down to reduce their width to fit the TT02B gears housing  Part C7, but I didn't know that yet at this stage...!

TT02B MSTT02B MS

Front metal bevel pinion. I know that apparently it's not required to put metal pinions at the front end also but I did it anyway just to make this one go up to 11...

TT02B MS

And the full drive shaft assembly, with hopped up aluminium Tamiya drive shaft as included in the MS kit  

TT02B MS

TT02B MS

Why did you purchase the dt03 turnbuckle set for the build? I love my tt02b ms that has all the hop ups of you basically plus the high speed gear set

Here the assembly is dropped into the chassis to test fit everything. The chassis is a white TT02 chassis to go with the white and blue colour scheme. 

TT02B MS

TT02B MS

front:

TT02B MS

rear:

TT02B MSTT02B MS

I wish the carbon shocks were available a year ago. The front fiberglass ones are weak, i have a yeah racing aluminum one now and a sealed tamiya frp one as back up. 

So back to the DF02 metal gear set.

TT02B MS 03

Now I realised that I needed to file down the bevel pinion gears (the four biggish ones to bottom of the above picture ). This had been told to me already in previous discussions but I hadn't quite understood which ones required it.  

Stock part width of about 10mm:

TT02B MS 02

Metal part needs to be filed down to this dimension of 9mm:

TT02B MS 02

The filed metal bevel pinion gear:

TT02B MS 02

I filed off the smaller diameter section of the gear  to make it shorter off the main big face of the gear  

Shown here reinstalled, but this was done by testing rotating the gears with the gear housing a few times:

TT02B MS 02

The gear housings are a whole new topic.... 

• Like 1

So in pursuit of a white themed car I had gone for all white chassis and chassis mounted plastic components. I had ordered TT02 A and D and parts:

TT02B MS

TT02B MS

I had wanted to use the C7 part which is the gear enclosure and also the mount for the shock towers.  

I realised the gear enclosure for TT02 and TT02B differed slightly in that the TT02B has three holes as opposed to two of the TT02. So I painted the TT02B pieces.

TT02B MS 02

On the left is TT02 piece C7. On the right is TT02B kit part C7. In the middle is a sprayed TT02B C7 part. 

The rear motor spur gears cover part D3 is possible to use from the TT02 set, but that was all. Shown here sprayed as a comparison between TT02 and TT02B kit, for motor gear enclosure part D3 and small front restrictor piece part D2. However the TT02 parts fit just fine so I didn't need to use the sprayed parts after all  

TT02B MS 02

Rear motor spur gear enclosure D3 test fit:

TT02B MS 02

And front D2

TT02B MS 02

• Like 3

With the cases off: Front bevel pinion filed down and installed:

TT02B MS 02

And rear:

TT02B MS 02

And now onto the differentials. Here are the metal parts from DF02 gravel hound:

TT02B MS 03

Bevel gears and spider gears, with DF02 differential housing hop up part. 

TT02B MS 03

With a nice dollop of grease. Am going a bit heavy with the grease to have a slight limited slip effect  

TT02B MS 03TT02B MS 03

And with ring gear

TT02B MS 03TT02B MS 03TT02B MS 03

• Like 2

Both differential housings for front and rear mounted in the chassis  

TT02B MS 03

I love the way all the gears go together, the engineering. Front:

TT02B MS 03

and rear:

TT02B MS 03

Now with the C7 gear enclosures mounted to close up the differentials and gears. White theme is doing very well so far, I love the juxtaposition with the Tamiya blue  

TT02B MS 03TT02B MS 03

• Like 1

Time to install the motor. I have gone with a Speed Passion MMM 13.5t brushless sensored motor:

TT02B MS 03TT02B MS 03

I got the Tamiya motor mount hop up:

TT02B MS 03

Again a beautiful piece of blue aluminium:

TT02B MS 03

Went for a steel pinion gear, 18t from RW Racing:

TT02B MS 03

Installed to the motor, shown here for 18t mounting position:

TT02B MS 03TT02B MS 03

I love the precision engineering of these parts:

TT02B MS 03

• Like 1

Motor installed onto chassis:

With rear gear enclosure mounted. Love the white (did I mention that...?)

TT02B MS 03

• Like 2

Certainly very nice. Looking forward to seeing it done. I assume your going to put slicks on it right? Not taking a white chassis mud bogging straight away? 

I guess some nice white dry beach sand could be ok. 

8 hours ago, Juls1 said:

Certainly very nice. Looking forward to seeing it done. I assume your going to put slicks on it right? Not taking a white chassis mud bogging straight away? 

I guess some nice white dry beach sand could be ok. 

Yes will have to go slicks on road first. It's all too pristine to dive straight into the mud...!

Now moving onto the rear suspension arms

Fronts with protector plate:

TT02B armsTT02B armsTT02B arms

Here we go with installing the carbon damper stay set:

TT02B MSTT02B ms carbon

oooh, lovely carbon. There's something really seductive about it, nice and crisp (and pricey...). Ball studs and blue aluminium spacers installed, although I got the rear ballstuds facing the wrong direction in the next photo... durr...

TT02B MS 03

detail of front stay with spacers and ballstuds:

TT02B MS 03

the edges of the carbon elements require CVA glue applied to protect them. I always seem to find this difficult to apply properly  

• Like 1

Time for the front steering. I went for Yeah Racing parts here. Front knuckle arms and bearing C-hubs:

TT02B MS 03TT02B MS 03TT02B MS 03TT02B MS 03

Assembled with the wheel axle:

TT02B MS 03TT02B MS 03

• Like 1

Now the turnbuckle set. 

TT02B MS

So putting all these on the front end now, coming together nicely:

TT02B MS 03

Prior to drive shafts installed 

TT02B MS 03

And with:

TT02B MS 03

• Like 1

On 24/09/2017 at 7:44 PM, Rb4276 said:

Why did you purchase the dt03 turnbuckle set for the build? I love my tt02b ms that has all the hop ups of you basically plus the high speed gear set

Hi, short answer is, it shouldn't have been in that photo..!

Rear damper stay mounted:

TT02B MS 03

And with rear uprights:

TT02B MS 03

And with rear drive shafts installed:

TT02B MS 05

So now the car is ready for the springs and dampers. I got the DF-03 aluminium damper set for a relatively (relatively!) cheap price from HK after a long search (TwistedSlayer thanks for suggesting this hop up mate). 

TT02B MS 03

Putting these together was a nice experience, working with the aluminium parts felt nice and precise and the dampers had a great action and feel. 

• Like 2

The tamiya motor mount has a tendency to get stuck when trying to remove it. Myself abd a few others had to use a flathead screwdriver to pop it out. I switched to the yeah racong one which works fine plus you have better pinion options

Small interval: I got some of these aluminium turnigy parts trays. They're awesome for about 4 quid each. 

TT02B MS 05

anyway, back to the build. The next stage is to install the steering.  I went for the Tamiya hop ups for TT02 aluminium racing steering set and the aluminium steering bridge. Starting with the racing steering set:

TT02B MS 05

TT02B MS 05

First step is to install the screw pins into the chassis:

TT02B MS 05

then mount the steering pivots onto the pins:

TT02B MS 05

And then the arms onto the pivots, shown here with the ballstuds already mounted onto the arms to receive the steering turnbuckle linkage:

TT02B MS 05

With steering turnbuckle linkage:

TT02B MS 05

TT02B MS 05

TT02B MS 05

Now to connect the steering bridge and the servo:

TT02B MS 05

Using Savox digital servo sc-1251mg again:

TT02B MS 06

Will be running the GPM TT02B alloy servo saver, it's a really nice piece:

TT02B MS 06

TT02B MS 06

Prior to installing the servo  saver I use my trusty servo tester to ensure the servo is absolutely zeroed on the steering. This also means you don't need to power up the main batteries, receiver and radio transmitter:

TT02B MS 06

and then mounting the saver onto the servo:

TT02B MS 06

Now servo  installed and steering  bridge linked up:

TT02B MS 06

TT02B MS 06

TT02B MS 06

TT02B MS 06

At this point I decided to install the aluminium motor heat sink part from Tamiya:

TT02B MS 06

TT02B MS 06

TT02B MS 06

TT02B MS 06

and also put on the carbon battery strap I sourced from The Border in the Netherlands:

TT02B MS 06

TT02B MS 06

• Like 1

Now to install some electronics. A TBLE2e ESC, and the R304SB receiver that came with the Futaba 4PV

TT02B MS 06TT02B MS 06TT02B MS 06

I will soon need to cut down the wiring to shorter more bespoke lengths prior to soldering the ESC. But before that decided to put on some aluminium hex mounts:

TT02B MS 06TT02B MS 06

So all these stages are starting to come together and chassis starts to look really exciting. Not quite ready to mount the receiver and ESC.

TT02B MS 06

TT02B MS 06

TT02B MS 06

TT02B MS 06

• Like 2

Keep an eye on the aluminum steering screws where the bearings are, i have one come loose almost all the time after a long run

So now to mount the ESC.  The speedpassion plugs had me baffled for a while as I had a hard time pulling them out of the motor. They were so tight it felt like they were permanently fixed and I thought I might be doing something wrong somewhere.  I even broke one trying to remove it, so ordered some fresh ones, and this is them:

TT02B MS 08

So I soldered them onto the ESC wires, with my dodgy soldering skills. I also put a few bits of cable shielding and heat shrink to hold them down. I had loose fitted all the components first, and then measured the length for the ESC wires, and cut them down to length

TT02B MS 08TT02B MS 08

And with the plugs soldered:

TT02B MS 08

i then simply bent these down and fitted them into the motor:

TT02B MS 08TT02B MS 08

• Like 2