MadInventor

SOLD: 1/16 King Tiger (x2) 56004

I've decided to part company with my 2 vintage King Tiger tanks, so here they are up for grabs. Both are 56004 kits.

3 Tone Tiger.

Details on this tiger are:

Had the lower hull replaced with one from a newer full option tiger, and also has the rear battery tray from the full option kit.
It has the upper hull from a full option tiger, so has the turret support rollers on the top and underside of the hull, and the stand offs for fitting the full option tiger turret rotator.
Has the original strobe flash unit installed and is fully operational. There is a servo installed to activate the mechanism.
The gearbox has had the original clutch mechanism removed, and 2 540s installed, one to drive each track directly.
I used TT-01 spur gears to carry out the modification so spares are readily available, and the support block I machined for it is never going to break.
There are twin Mtronics ECO 27 speed controllers (Good for up to 9.6V) installed to control the motors, along with an aircraft V tail mixer circuit.
This enables the tank to be driven as you would a buggy, as well as being able to carry out pivot turns.
The turret rotator control has been replaced with a vintage 3 step speedo with the resistor removed. The turret rotation mechanism allows the turret to be rotated continuously in either direction through multiple turns as there are no wires going from the hull to the turret, unlike the full option models.
This enables it to rotate in either direction at a single speed, but if the resistor was re-instated it would be possible to rotate the turret at 3 different speeds. (Or the MSC could be replaced with a rock crawler ESC to give full proportional control over the rotation speed)
It has an improved track tensioner mechanism fitted. (I can probably find the original mechanism if required)
I can demonstrate the tank working, but would be keeping the transmitter and receiver used for the demo.

Looking for £250 or equivalent in trade.
Good points.

The twin 540 motors give 100% increase in available power over the standard model, and eliminate the problem of clutch slippage. They also give the potential to fit 80T crawler motors for more torque, or even 540 high turn brushless systems.

bad points.

At the moment the clutch in the turret slips when trying to rotate the turret. Take off the upper hull and it works fine. I'm going to try and investigate to see if I can figure out what the problem is.
The rear mud flaps have been knocked off, but I have them in the box and they will be included.

Pictures

img33435_926201792823_2.jpg

img33435_926201792823_1.jpg

img33435_926201792823_3.jpg

img33435_926201792823_4.jpg

gearbox

img33435_924201751524_2.jpg

img33435_924201751524_3.jpg

img33435_924201751524_4.jpg

img33435_924201751524_5.jpg

img33435_924201751524_6.jpg

Upper hull and turret

img33435_926201793057_1.jpg

img33435_926201793057_2.jpg

img33435_926201793057_3.jpg

img33435_926201793057_4.jpg

img33435_926201793057_5.jpg

2 Tone Tiger

This tiger also has my own twin 540 motor gearbox conversion.

The front torsion springs under the gearbox have been replaced with heavy duty items to cope with the extra weight.

The tank is fitted with twin MTronics ECO27 ESCs, capable of running on voltages up to 9.6V (8 cells). Unfortunately testing it this weekend one of the ESCs is playing up, got to check if it just needs a retune or if it's toast. I might have another to replace it with if needed, or if someone is interested in this tank and the other one has not gone I can pull an ESC from that one.

There is also a V tail mixer fitted between the ESCs so that the it drives like a buggy (1 stick for throttle, another for steering). It is also possible to do pivot turns with it.

The tank has the original turret rotator fitted along with the servo controlled switch for rotating left and right.

There is a servo controlled camera mount fitted in the commands cupola which is a direct fit for a GoPro camera case, which can be rotated left and right. (This means you can rotate the camera one way and the turret the other).

The plastic gun barrel ahs been replaced with a full option aluminium item, and it also has an aluminium muzzle brake fitted.
The rear mud flaps have been knocked off, but I have them in the box and they will be included.

I have also made some additional metalwork to help with the layout of the internals to make it easy to operate the tank.

This is a unique tank in that it has two 540 size motors powering it, one for each track with no clutches involved.

PS The weathering is genuine Wiltshire mud, and will wash off with water if it is not to your taste. :)

img33435_23072015211228_3.jpg

img33435_23072015211334_1.jpg

img33435_23072015211228_4.jpg

img33435_23072015211228_5.jpg

img33435_23072015211228_6.jpg

img33435_23072015210434_1.jpg

img33435_23072015210434_2.jpg

img33435_23072015211228_2.jpg

img33435_23072015210434_3.jpg

img33435_23072015210434_4.jpg

img33435_23072015210434_5.jpg

img33435_23072015210434_6.jpg

img33435_23072015211228_1.jpg

I have the machine for the turret and it will be included, even though it's not the photos (I'd removed it to all the GoPro to rotate in the commanders cupola)

If you don't want the GoPro mount and the servo, I can remove them and knock £10 off.

Looking for £230 or equivalent in trade.

I can demonstrate the tank working, but would be keeping the transmitter and receiver used for the demo.

As I've mentioned above, I would prefer cash for both tanks, but could be willing to trade for other R/C items.

I'd prefer not to post these tanks if possible, due to the weight and fragility, and would be prepared to travel a reasonable distance to conduct a trade / sale.

forgot to add that I've got a box for one of the tanks, and some of the left over clutch parts, also some Porsche turret hull covers.

img33435_928201785858_1.jpg

img33435_928201785858_2.jpg

img33435_928201785858_3.jpg

img33435_928201785858_4.jpg

Edited by MadInventor
Sold

So folks, these tanks have been up about a fortnight now, and at the time of writing the original post has had about 100 views, but I've not seen a snifter of interest in them, so am looking for some feedback from those that have looked and then thought 'nah' as to what's putting people off. I would prefer to move these on through TC rather than having to resort to Ebay, so some feedback would be great.

TIA

I want, but the cheapest beer budget will never stretch that far....

4 hours ago, Darat76 said:

I want, but the cheapest beer budget will never stretch that far....

I had some feedback from someone else saying that the price on the high side, so I would be willing to negotiate, but I think the postage cost to NZ from UK would be eye watering....

19 hours ago, MadInventor said:

I had some feedback from someone else saying that the price on the high side, so I would be willing to negotiate, but I think the postage cost to NZ from UK would be eye watering....

given that the cheapest tank kit in NZ that I've heard of is over 500 quid new, I'm not inclined to agree, least for my neck of the woods, shipping wouldn't be to bad, customs on the other hand would be a tad punishing, but that still wouldn't stop me, what does is stop me is the fact I can't afford a pint at the local....

Tempted myself but when you can get a second hand full option for the same money it's a no brainer.

These old clutch ones are nice but only the unmade and complete ones get the vintage money they are worth to a collector.

Have a think on price and let me know.

2 hours ago, Ad Lav said:

Tempted myself but when you can get a second hand full option for the same money it's a no brainer.

These old clutch ones are nice but only the unmade and complete ones get the vintage money they are worth to a collector.

Have a think on price and let me know.

I'll PM you something. Bear in mind that these particular old clutch tanks don't have clutches in anymore ;).

Well, the 2 tone tank didn't sell on Ebay, lots of watchers but no bids. Will let it go in its current configuration for £140 + postage, or trade for other interesting Tamiya.

Hi mate, is this the one that you had up for £230? Is it complete and does it come with a manual, I've never done a tank before hence my question. Would you take £140 + postage. I use Hermes and they are pretty good cost wise.

Regards

16 hours ago, Ritchie said:

Hi mate, is this the one that you had up for £230? Is it complete and does it come with a manual, I've never done a tank before hence my question. Would you take £140 + postage. I use Hermes and they are pretty good cost wise.

Regards

Hi Ritchie, Yes, it is the one I had up for £230. I have got a manual for the tank but it has been modified from stock. The radio gear and ESCs have been stripped out, and it has always had the flash unit missing for the main gun. I've got to go out right now to but will give you some more detailed answers when I get back this afternoon

hi Ritchie,

As you haven't had a tank before, I suggest you have a look at this old thread first:

This is from when I originally created the twin 540 gearbox, and goes some way to explaining how you I set the ESCs up in the tank. I've stripped the electronics (RX, ESCs, and camera rotation servo) from the tank as one of the ESCs had failed and I didn't want to put any more money into the tank to replace it and no one was interested at £230.  I originally used the V tail mixer to run the ESCs to make the tank drive like a buggy (1 up down stick for throttle, and 1 left/right for steering) but it would be entirely possible with a 4 channel set of radio gear to use the vertical movements on the 2 control sticks to give a more tank like control system and remove the complexity of setting up the v tail mixer. You would need to be familiar with how to run 2 ESCs from 1 receiver (Cut through the +ve lead on one ESC) and of course you will need 2 ESCs that are identical and give 100% power in reverse (Which I think is a rarity these days). MTronics ECO 27s are ideal for this if you can find them, they are what I used and are good for 9.6V. Other items to note are that although I've removed the servo for the camera rotator, all the camera mounting bracketry is still included. As you can see from the youtube vids in the old thread, the final incarnation of the camera mount make the tank a great camera platform. You'll also be able to see from comparing the pics in this thread to the old one that the design of the tank has evolved slightly since I first modified it.

As you haven't had a tank before, in the interest of full disclosure, this is not one of Tamiya's newer full option tanks with a sound system, gun barrel elevation, or recoil unit. It's the much older 56004 tank which originally just had turret rotation and gun barrel flash unit. However, on the positive side, you can't fit the 540 motor powered gearbox in the newer full option tank :). The manual of course will not cover the modifications that I have made to the tank (I have also fitted a simplified and improved track tensioner system) and to make life interesting all the text is in Japanese..... The pictures do still make sense however.

With regard to the postage, I'm afraid I'd only be prepared to send it via Parcelforce Special delivery (Cheapest RM option at £23 given the size and weight of the box  ) as I've seen some nightmare stories in the press about how Myhermes treat some of their packages, and Parcelforce will insure the tank for up to £200 and it's fully tracked to your door. This would also be posted without the kit box as I don't have box adequate enough to fit that in. The tank has however been packaged up suspended in polystyrene chips in a sturdy house moving cardboard box ready to be shipped.