iluvmud

Is this motor as rare as I think it is?

So I posted in "what mailman brought me" about an original FAV I picked up from ebay on the cheap and one of the things that got me excited about it aside from its condition was the bright red endbell I was seeing in the pics.... well I got it here and it turns out the motor looks to be the grand daddy of all black can motors.... the 1st version that came with the Can Am LOLA the RS540SD Black Motor.... This guy.

dsc02704.jpg

That being said, are they rare? I havent seen one before (I thought it was going to be the Sprint version, but no)... but then again I havent really looked for these motors too heavily. The one I got in this car looks new and I am just curious about the motor itself as I dont intend to sell it and plan on just cleaning it up and putting it back into the FAV or possibly another vehicle so that the tag is clearly visible to show it off :)

So hard to come by or no?

We dont joke about the Conrad, the Conrad is serious business!

They are pretty hard to come by and look good n all, but aren't super popular because they were the torque tuned equivalent of the silver can.

7 minutes ago, berman said:

We dont joke about the Conrad, the Conrad is serious business!

They are pretty hard to come by and look good n all, but aren't super popular because they were the torque tuned equivalent of the silver can.

Thanks Berman.... I didnt think they were elite, just harder to find as I havent seen any. I'm still on the lookout for a Conrad tho...... I might never get to get my hands on one and feel the power :(

• Like 1

If the motor is in mint like new condition, I would give you £10-£20 for it so it can go on my display but I don't think it has any more intrinsic value than a new one really. 

Like most of the old motors, even the really rare ones, they only tend to cost close to what could be considered retail at today's price. Or increase the value of the vintage nib kit whereby it dates it as an early run etc.

Course put it on eBay and there will probably be some niche artisan Tamiya collector who will be all over it........ or not.

Relatively speaking Vintage NIB kit and spares prices are fairly low in relation to their original purchase price to current price ratios compared to say Vintage Transformers, Marvel/DC or Star Wars.

If the motor looks new I definitely wouldn’t run it. Mint condition motors are hard to come by.  

Guys! Please don’t joke about the Conrad.   That kind of power is not for everyone and needs to be contained properly. 

93DFA2C3-61DB-4692-959C-5FEDBBFD9501_zps

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Shodog said:

If the motor looks new I definitely wouldn’t run it. Mint condition motors are hard to come by.  

Guys! Please don’t joke about the Conrad.   That kind of power is not for everyone and needs to be contained properly. 

Some say that 240826 was the number of stars consumed during the production.......

29 minutes ago, mastino said:

this guy???

Egress079_012.jpgmine come with an original egress

Egress079_006.jpg

No, close though. Before these came out Tamiya just made the black motor....no sprint or endurance, just Black motor.

3 hours ago, Shodog said:

@shodog - that box is clearly not lead lined - are you mad?

Safety first. You should know better.

15 hours ago, iluvmud said:

So I posted in "what mailman brought me" about an original FAV I picked up from ebay on the cheap and one of the things that got me excited about it aside from its condition was the bright red endbell I was seeing in the pics.... well I got it here and it turns out the motor looks to be the grand daddy of all black can motors.... the 1st version that came with the Can Am LOLA the RS540SD Black Motor.... This guy.

So hard to come by or no?

Black Motor originally came out as a hopup part for the original pan car series. Motor included a 540-size motor/axle cage just in case you wanted to fit it to a 936/Countach005/nonCS which had a 380-size cage as std.

Only years later did Black Motor appear in RM#1.

Not quite super rare even today, considering their age. They're quite commonly found installed in used cars... my oddest Black Motor appearance would be inside a M38 Willy (more so as WWilly spare part 540 motors were unique to that series with a pressed on pinion).

NiB in a good box with full contents (hopup set) is rarer by many magnitudes, definitely :D dont think they were sold in box alone; only the later Sprint\Endurance pair were sold in hopup box (& in 956 RM wasn't it) 

• Like 1

Interesting thread. i was never aware of a difference of black and later sprint black Motor. Is it only a change of the label then? Judging from the tech specs written on it, the motor itself is the same, right?

32 minutes ago, scoobybooster said:

Interesting thread. i was never aware of a difference of black and later sprint black Motor. Is it only a change of the label then? Judging from the tech specs written on it, the motor itself is the same, right?

can only assume so from reading label, never got around to finding a Sprint version :( only have Older Red & Newer Blue on hand

3 hours ago, scoobybooster said:

Yes, Black motor and Sprint are the same specs.