Sign in to follow this  
guitarman

Masking Advice

Hi All

I am having difficulty masking the body on my Merc G320 Cabriolet I find it difficult to get my

hands inside to attach the tape and get it where I want it to go.

Question is would it be easier to use Liquid Mask?

Not used it before so are their any problems I should be aware of please let me know.

Thanks

If sticking tape is too hard, how are you going to manage cutting out the liquidmask?? 

Sounds like you haven't used liquidmask before; hope you are not of impression it's merely painted on only where you want masking. Liquidmask is best used by slapping it on thick covering everything then cutting out the bits you want painted. When it's applied too thinly, liquidmask doesn't peel off easily.

What tape are you using? Generally easiest to get a decent fine tape eg 6mm Tamiya yellow to do the edges then fill in with wider/cheaper tape.

Alternately handbrush or plan ahead so some parts can be painted on the outside, like black fabric roof.

Thanks Willy,yes you got it its for the fabric roof on the Merc Cabriolet.

I didn't consider spraying it on the outside but now you mention it that

would be really easy and I must remember to take the protective

mask off before paint.

Does the outside need any prep doing before paint?

I painted the roof on this on the outside, just gave the shell a light rub with a dish scouring pad to roughen it up a little

Building up several light coats help the paint to dry matt - if you spray it too thick you get glossy 'puddles'

img169_22062005161227_4.jpg

img169_22062005161227_6.jpg

img169_22062005161227_1.jpg

I've painted areas of  bodies on the outside before by actually using the overspray film as a paint mask. Just gently score through the film with a fresh X-Acto blade, peel it off the roof, and presto - everything else is masked. Spray the inside with the body color first, so you don't get overspray on the roof.

Great thanks for the advice.

I didn't think of using the mask as a masking for the roof but I will try it.