Sign in to follow this  
Saito2

re-re Boomerang or Big Wig

Trying to decide which of these to get as a runner. The drive trains are the same but the kits are different spec. Basically it boils down to 4 shocks vs 3 shocks, ball bearings vs bushings, GT Tuned motor vs stock 540 and no ESC vs ESC. The ESC  isn't important as I have a few floating around. The extra $35 of the Bigwig over the Boomerang seems like a good deal considering the dual front shocks, GT motor and ball bearings.

Never having driven either, I'm not sure which is best. The Boomerang seems well-loved while the Bigwig, not so much. The steering systems are different too but I don't know how much difference that makes. Any experiences welcomed.

I only have the Boomerang and it gets light use and sits on a shelf.  I really like the look of the Boomerang and think the Bigiwg is a bit ugly.  The Boomerang is also lighter than the Bigwig.  They both handle brushless fine too, although I've only run a 17.5T with a bit of boost and turbo, it could have handled more.  I don't find the 3 shocks to be a problem either, the car handles well when mucking around in the backyard with my son.  I've taken it to a track once and it was fine, handled the jumps easily and the monoshock didn't matter at all then as the track is pretty smooth anyway.

Bearings are cheap so I wouldn't worry too much about that, as there is the $35 price difference like you say.  The GT Tuned motor will be good for a period look, but a cheap brushless system will require no maintenance and outperform it.

Given neither are going to win any races (unless you enter the Hotshot class, then they might) I would go with the one you like the look of best!  Which is the Boomerang

I have had similar thoughts, but I recently picked up a Boomerang and Bigwig NIB, I picked up some cheap spares for the Bigwig so I ended up building a Boomerwig out of my  runner Boomerang.

Boxart Boomerang with bigwig front arms, front shock mounts and dual front shocks and finished with mooncraft rims, it is the best of both as I much prefer the looks of the Boomerang, I am having card reader issues this morning, I will try and post a pic.

This Boomerwig also runs re re hotshot gearboxes and driveshaft, top force uni's up front.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Saito2 said:

Never having driven either, I'm not sure which is best. The Boomerang seems well-loved while the Bigwig, not so much. The steering systems are different too but I don't know how much difference that makes. Any experiences welcomed.

I can relate to this. I think this was because by the time the Bigwig was released, the 4WD family and platform that the Hotshot/Supershot/Boomerang was already somewhat long in the tooth. The Bigwig showed up right when the Kyosho Ultima arrived, and the Optima 4WDs were killing everyone on the tracks (at least out where I was).

Either way there's nothing wrong to me with the Bigwig. It's a fine kit. In my opinion lots of people cut their teeth on Boomerangs as it was positioned as an entry level 4WD hence the nostalgia...

I have a Boomer, and Bigwig on the shelf right now. I did think the Bigwig was ugly in pics, but now having one in person, I've grown to like it. But I still think the Boomer looks better overall. Apples to apples, the Bigwig is the better value with the bearings, and motor, but as others have stated bearings are cheap. I do like the Bigwig rack and pinion type of steering with the rubber boots keeping most of the trash out of the steering. The Boomer on the other hand, I have had issues with the steering getting fouled with dirt and stop steering all together, it  is totally open so dirt gets in between the chassis and steering mechanism that slides. As for speed, I opted to go the old school with the Bigwig, a 8.4v, 7 cell NiMh with a Teu-302 ESC works up nicely with the GT tuned motor. But again I think they would be a fair match if both had a silver can 540.  I say get both, and decide from there!

• Like 1

I have never owned neither .... I would get the wig .. how could you not have that awesome body ...

• Like 1

I have rebuilt and lightly run two Boomerangs and one BigWig - whilst there is some theoretical benefit from the twin front shocks of the BigWig  I can't say i ever found the Boomer lacking or the 'Wig superior.

I never weighed either model, people say the 'Wig is heavy (and i wouldn't disagree) but from recollection I don;t think there's an awful lot between the two models.

To me, the Boomerang looks like an ugly Hotshot.  I didn't like the Bigwig as a kid, but now I think it's beautiful!

I've raced variants of both.  For track performance, stock-for-stock, the Bigwig is better.  The twin shocks and better steering mech make it more predictable in the corners.  The weight is a non-issue now we don't need to worry about run time.  I personally prefer the Bigwig for looks too, but that's subjective.  If you don't want to use the GT motor or ESC just sell them, and get the difference back most likely and you still have the bearings.

For bashing, there's not going to be a lot in it.  The Bigwig body is not super sturdy which might be an issue.

• Like 1

I think I'm going to go with the Bigwig. Its got acres of plastic compared to its Optima competition, but being the 10th anniversary car plus the weird body and unique steering is enough to make me want to put one into action. It'll run 8.4v to get the full effect too. I think Potatocat hit the nail on the head. The Boomerang sold very well and a lot of folks got one and loved it. The Bigwig was pricey and therefore rare. Plus, if you were really into competing in 4wd, you bought an Optima, unless you were a Tamiya diehard back then.

• Like 2

When building the Bigwig, use a steering servo with a higher torque, since the rubber boots induce some drag in the steering mechanism. I use one with 10 kg at 6V. The cheap one with about 2 or 3 kg was too weak. Although it had enough power to turn the wheels, it wasn't enough while driving. 

Cheers,

Markus

• Like 1

I read in the past about the servo requirements of the Bigwig. High torque, as you said, makes sense. I've also read it might need a higher speed servo too due to the gearing of the rack and pinion. Any truth to that?  Some hypothesize that the slow steering (with a standard servo) and the extra weight of the bigger battery combined to give the Bigwig a ponderous, slow feeling.  

Since I haven't been on a track with the bigwig and I usually only bash around in my garden, I can't comment if the steering is slow. It is true that the steering setup doesn't have very much travel (compared to my Vanquish and Dt-02). But handles very well nonetheless

Also, I find the bigwig not slow or ponderous at all, but to be honest, I have not very much comparison ;-)  And I run it with a standard 7.2V NiMH battery.

Edit: I also had the impression that the use of universal drive shafts improved handling and cornering noticeable, even when bashing on the lawn.

Cheers,

Markus

The steering lock isn't huge, but not doesn't limit performance in my experience.  The rack ratio isn't that different from a conventional horn and drag link set up so that isn't a massive factor.  On a standard S3003 servo or similar it will not be good, but anything with decent speed and torque will be ok.  I'm running universals all round on mine, and I can't say the performance has changed much - but I did it because the rears kept falling out.  Still have to run quite a lot of travel limiters inside my rear shocks to stop the driveshafts dropping out.  That's an annoying flaw.

242j5w0.jpg

You don't want a Boomerang or Bigwig you want a Boomerwig ........ see mine :) Featured in this months RC Racer magazine :) at the Revival

Boomerwig Dudley.jpg

HSGB line up.jpg

• Like 1