dclaassens

Avante 2011 & Egress 2013 Motor/ESC/Servo Advice

Returning after a long absence from RC I’ve just purchased an Avante 2011 and Egress 2013 from Tower Hobbies here in the US. As a kid these were the two kits I dreamed of owning as I turned the pages of the Tamiya catalog. At the time, my after school job only allowed me the cash to get a Hornet.

So now I have these these two kits, found this site and wondered if I could get some advice on motors, ESCs and servos that would suit these two cars? I have been doing a fair bit of research online - but there is just so much to choose from. I was looking at going for a Spektrum servo and receiver with AVC, and going with an ESC+motor combo from Hobbywing. Understandably, I’m trying to mix some nostalgia with the up to date Lipo batteries, brushless motor and so on.

The cars will end up as weekend drivers - some moderate bashing fun. Although I wouldn’t mind if I could give a couple of my buddies with brushless RTR buggies from Arrma a run for their money. 

Lastly, if I documented the build, would anyone be interested in seeing the progress and pics from these two cars?

Thanks in advance for any guidance you might offer.

Its been a long time since I owned or driven one of these cars, but I feel that they should be fine with a 13.5 sensored brushless motor.. If you wanted a bit more speed, then you could try a 10.5 BL motor, but any faster than that and you may start to find the limits of the drivetrain and suspension design..

If the kits happen to come with a Tamiya TBLE02S ESC, then you may not need to buy another ESC if you choose a 13.5 Turn (or higher) sensored BL motor.. It is recommended that you use a cooling fan on the TBLE02S if you plan to use it with a 10.5 BL motor though.. Just be aware that you will need a separate low voltage alarm if you plan to use the TBLE02S with LiPo batteries, as the TBLE02S does NOT have a built in Low Voltage cutoff for LiPo batteries..

Build threads are always welcomed on Tamiyaclub..

Hi there

I m curently running a 10.5 brushless motor with a trakstar turbo esc in my egress and avante 2001.... and I personally don t want any faster ! The avant is a missile on bumpy ground and tries to take off every so often ! The limited front shock travel makes it rebound and begin to get airbourn. The transmission holds up well though but if you do take this route I would advise using the center ball diff (to act as a slipper clutch to absorb some of the impacts on the drivetrain) and also some front aluminium knuckles which are very fragile partucularly if you use a strong servo. I would love to see your progress !

I know back when the first re-re kits were built on here, some went down to 8.5T brushless, but majority of folk kept to 10.5 / 13.5T.  Nothing wrong with an 8.5T motor but its probably best to buy an ESC that allows plenty of programming for punch and throttle curve.

The TZ / RZ / BZ series of brushed Tamiya motors are also plenty quick enough.

Remember if you are using a lipo battery you will have more instantaneous power delivery anyway, and the power delivery doesn't drop gradually from the off like it does with NiMH.

So dependent upon how much room you have to run it, how fast you want to go (versus keeping it nice looking) and your budget you could put anything from  a 17.5T down to a 8.5T - personally I'd plum for 13.5T for longevity of the drivetrain.

• Like 1

Following this as I have just bought an egress, and going to get an avante also

always wanted these as a kid

love how they look