ArAKern2

Down the rabbit hole once again "Mad Bull upgrades"

So a little background to set the seen.

Ok so I am not a RC person per-se and could never afford a RC car in my childhood but did like to watch and dream at the local track.So (fast forward on 20 years) my children showed an interest in the RC club at school and my inner child saw an opportunity  ;) but the parent in me thought it will be a 5 min wonder then onto the next thing, but fate smiled and a friend at work mentioned he had an old RC car i could borrow to see if the kids were interested.To my joy it was a Mad bull (my all time childhood favorite) but the joy was short lived the first use children lost interest very quickly  and to be honest I could not blame them. The car was slow when on grass often getting stuck and not much better on tarmac and the run time was in the minuets. I tried a different nicad and tried 7cell but nothing made much difference so to the loft it went.

But the story does not end there ever so often I dust it off and have a play just to be a child for a while. Ok I know the Mad Bull will never be a great car but I love the look of it and feel like it just needs some tlc.                                So over the years I have made some basic upgrades:- All Ball raced, Li Pol battery, Upgraded steering to servo links, shrink wrap on the wishbones, CVA shocks and lastly 4 pole 3520KV Trackstar brushless motor and esc. For me it is a absolute bast to drive ok the steering is still poor it suffers from crazy bump steer and the geometry with respect to Ackerman? is far from ideal but this charm of the Mad Bull.

But now the question is where do i go from here on the last run out i noticed the rims were spinning in the tires so should a fit foam inserts and glue the tires sorry know nothing about the pros and cons of gluing tires?

Any ideas help gratefully revived :D 

I have foam inserts in most of my Madbulls, all have glued tyres too. Really helps when you are running big power.

10380994_10153554636046158_2938390899542955610_n.jpg

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, i_am_scarecrow said:

I have foam inserts in most of my Madbulls, all have glued tyres too. Really helps when you are running big power.

10380994_10153554636046158_2938390899542955610_n.jpg

Ooooo like the mad fighter with B.B. wheels.... I was wondering what to do for monster wheels on mine thin I found my wheels

The Mad Bull was my first hobby-grade RC, and is still one of my regular runners. However from the outset I realised that it was always going to be a basic chassis. I have added the obvious hop-ups in the form of bearings, oil shocks, ball linked steering tierods and steel pinion, but that is how it has stayed, and will be staying.

For a car with Mad Bull character but modern geometry and handling, I find that my DT-03T with Mad Bull wheels and tyres does the trick. And I recall another member has successfully modded a Mad Bull shell to fit the DT-03 chassis. I suspect that you can get a better car for less money by swapping out the whole chassis than you would by extensively modding the stock one.

...And yes, glued tyres are a very good idea. I find that a few dots of superglue is sufficient to stop the tyres spinning on the rims. One doesn't need to glue the entire bead like you would on a touring car.

Thanks All

will order some inserts any recommendation on glue to use on the tires?

just a thought its not dual wishbone solution but how about fitting an additional control arm? would i help to stiffen the lower wishbone also are there other hubs that fit the chassis with better steering angle?

Double wishbone front suspension would be cool. There are a few hacks out there.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2377087

You'd need to upload the CAD files to shapeways to get them

There are tonnes of ideas here:

Or as mentioned, you could stick a mad bull shell on a DT03 with truck wheels like mine (It's got grasshopper2 decals, but It's a mad bull shell)

To get any serious improvement you really need to get a different lower arm, a c hub and an upper arm to make a 4 bar suspension. There's a mod using DT03 parts on the mod thread. I did that to my kids Rising Fighter and it worked great. Your uprights will fit those c-hubs. 

This was what I did to mine to be able to fit 3S LiPo in it:

I've also been thinking about maybe using a thundershot rear gearbox and suspension rigidly attached to the rear chassis to give it double wishbone rear suspension and get rid of the live axle. There's only about a 10mm width increase between the rear wheels by doing this.

• Like 1

Ok so i have some foam inserts thanks to Percymon on here and will glue the tires maybe even tape them.

I keep looking at upgrades to front suspension but feel it is just a step to far for me, but i would like to have a go at improving the suspension at least limit some bump steer.                                      so the first problem is try and fix the steering angle i need to crank the upright inboard by about 5mm where the steering rod connects then try and make the steering arms run more parallel to the wishbone. 

So will the LunchBox/Midnight Pumpkin/CW-01, 0555028/10555028 Uprights fit a madbull or is there another upright that has a cranked/dogleg upright that will fit?

Many thanks (need to stop digging down :unsure: )

Well WOW...

OK so I learnt some valuable lessons to day :o 1, My garden is not big enough 2, My age is showing thus reactions are slow to control my Mad Bull... So in conclusion the tires slipping on the rims had been masking the speed potential of the car.

Glued tires and foam inserts = Lots more fun. never got the car past half throttle....

• Like 1