Sign in to follow this  
ringding350

Hotshot - bushing the suspension

I've a couple of vintage buggies, one of which is a Hotshot.  It's not, and never will be, a shelf queen (I don't have the time or the patience!).  It's just for having fun with with my boys.  

The two top front suspension bushes have a load of slop in where the plastic has worn over the years.  I was considering drilling them out and inserting a phosphor bronze bush, but thought I'd see what the conventional wisdom of the forum is.  I realise I might be able to buy a replacement diff housing, but even if I could I'd rather make a repair that increases the durability rather than put in a rareish part to get worn out.  

Any pointers?

59c5833169f97_20170902_202554(1).jpg.992ddd32d987a0aea3cf424644c38fcb.jpg

On mine (well, boomerang) I drilled out top and bottom, front and rear, and the rear uprights and fitted brass tube.

The top fronts still have play though. The problem is the hinge area is so short.

Braces used to be available, not sure if they still are. I also plan on seeing if I can use longer screws and pick up the back end of the screw too with some kind of home made bracket.

Excellent, thanks.  Glad to know it's been done before.  The stuff I've found is 0.5mm wall thickness, and 3.0mm ID.

I'll see how I get on.

Putting on aluminium braces reduces the slop a lot, plus it's a massive bonus for durability.  I'd definitely go for that.

Other thing to do is get some 0.5mm steel shims (in 4mm ID if you put the brass tube in) and pack out the gaps between the gearbox hinge and the suspension arms to take out the slop.