Sign in to follow this  
Mervyn

Re release Hornet techno ?/observation

Received a box of new/vintage speed controllers today,decided to pop one into my new built re-release hornet. I built this hornet to be a copy of the one I had 20 years ago. Anyhow got everything buttoned up and went to put the body on and there isn't enough clearance between the resister cover and the body. Its out by just a hair or two. To make it fit I had to bend the metal resister cover just a wee bit,problem solved,but you could never run the car as the cover touches the back window. Anyhow that got me thinking, what is the differance between the old and new version(if any) that would create this problem? I don't have an original hornet here for comparison.

the original hornet doesnt have aback window there as it was cut out for the heat sink. thats the only diff i know about.

The rear window area on the original is cut out to allow a big space around the resistor. The re-release doesn't have this cut out

Jim

Some of the new MSC have bigger/different resistors as well

I went to chuck a new one on my fox last nite and it doesnt fit where its meant to so have to use a really old one now for it

Chris

Just cruized through the on-line manuals section, and there in plain view is the answer. The original,like you guys stated,has the rear window cut out to make room for the resister and of course-cooling. One more piece of information in the Merv Tamiya File. Thanks.