Max Roczen

4x4 Racing Buggies

Excellent points. Sounds like the car isn't that slow especially as i'd be racing at a novice level. As said, at this level the drivers will be the limiting factor. I probably wouldn't get the max out of a b64 anyway. So now I just have to bite the bullet and spend some money on an old TRF buggy!  

Rcjaz have a TRF502X in stock and the price is really good, I would buy that one, its a lot cheaper than a B64

https://www.rcjaz.co.nz/tamiya-42183-110-rc-trf502x-chassis-kit-p-90023220.html

You could also consider a DB01RR as well which should perform ok on a dirt track for a novice club racer 

@djmcnz has raced TRF buggies (may still, I have no idea) he would be the one to ask

In my opinion...

All of the TRF buggies remain competitive today, some a little more than others but to notice a real difference between very top end buggies (any brand) you'd need to be in the top 5% of drivers AND have an effective setup. And setup is the bigger challenge at this end of the game and it makes more difference than any reasonable chassis will. The higher end the buggy (or touring car for that matter) the more involved is the setup required to get the best performance and, unless you're a racer, it's hard to justify the time, knowledge and effort involved (a LOT of each). You don't want to pay for a highly configurable buggy only to ever leave it at kit settings. If you don't know how to set two ball diffs and a slipper in concert as well as what weight oil to put in your shocks for any given surface... and then realise you need multiple sets of shocks lol... then you're wasting money on features you won't use.

Personally I'd start by deciding between shaft (low maintenance) and belt drive (high efficiency) rather than what might offer the ultimate speed. A shaft driven car is the much smarter choice for somebody that doesn't really know what they want. I prefer belt now but only after I'd raced shaft for 10 years or so. And belts can become expensive (TRF = exposed diffs grrr).

That price for the 502 is sharp and it's a great kit (you'll need to add tyres) and it's shaft driven but it may be overwhelming. The bling is powerful in this one though.

I've always admired the DB01, even when I had a 501X and then the 511 because it's more than most people will ever need and well priced - the DB01(XYZ) is absolutely NOT entry level and with the right driver can outperform a TRF buggy. It's easy to set up to go quick, very low maintenance (compared to the TRF's) and highly upgradeable/configurable when you want to add performance/features/bling because almost every TRF bit fits.

Is there a shaft driven equivalent of the DB01 that accepts the same Hop-Ups? Forgive me, that's a gap in my knowledge but if there was, and I was starting out and aiming to build up to racing, that's what I'd get.

• Like 1

Just to chip my 2p worth here, the shaft driven version of the DB01 was the DB02 Leonis. It was NOT well thought of! It came out after the DB01R but there is a reason why we now have the DB01RR and RRR but no more DB02! 

I have never driven a TRF but if you are a novice the DB01 is a great shout. I am also a novice track goer and until recently owned a DB01R. Its a blinkin lovely thing. So smooth and fast, so easy to drive on track compared to vintage or base model 4wd buggies and so fast! The belts are enclosed so running on dirt won't be an issue. Between track days mine got thrashed around a large grass playing field and never missed a beat. There are definitely some NIB DB01RR out there at Far East sellers and they have everything you could want thrown in. Plenty of guys on TRF Off road group said they still raced or had raced their DB01 successfully when I posted pics of mine up. However I wouldn't fault you for grabbing a 502 if thats what you really want! In terms of setup options the DB01 isn't any less complex than the TRF buggies so just get stuck in. That's half the fun. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, DB02 ^ thanks for the reminder.

Apparently not well loved but it possibly got a hard time only because the '01 was simply so good. The DB02 is less expensive and I assume takes all the 502 Hop-Ups?

Depends on what you want to spend... always the question! :)

I know you're all wondering what I bought 😆

Initially I bought a Top Force. Now, three yrs after the OP I finally bought a TRF502X.

The Top Force had too much play in the steering and suspension and the gearboxes won't handle lots of power. So rather than going down an expensive road on modifications I bought a brushless ready buggy, the 502X. I Could have got a B74 instead but it had to be a Tamiya! 

I suppose that original list of top of the range 4wd buggy should be:

Hot Shot 1985

Avante 1987 evolved in to Egress 1988 (cheaper Vanquish in 1988).

Top-Force 1991 and then Top-Force Evolution 1992 (cheaper DF-01 sibling 1990).

TRF501X 2006 evolved in to TRF511X 2009 then TRF503 2014 (cheaper DB-01 in 2007).

TRF502X 2010 (cheaper DB-02 in 2012).

Then Tamiya gave up, 2015.