TWINSET

Lancia 037 Rally Body - On TA02-S chassis?

1 hour ago, TWINSET said:

OH YEAH! I'm excited for this. I'm busy trying to do a Stradale(ish) modification to a body so having another one for the full rally version as well would be awesome. :) 

21 minutes ago, tamiya3speed said:

How was the S chassis variant made vs the other TA02 chassis?

Short wheelbase I think. It's not always the case (see TA04-S) but I think it's a short wheelbase this time.

11 minutes ago, JatoTheRipper said:

Very cool!  

The current "Short Wheelbase" TA02 is called the TA02SW.  The TA02S might be something different.

True. I hope they haven't decided to drop the original hard shell, which would require a short wheelbase, in favour of a 257mm wheelbase polycarbonate shell. I really like the hard shells.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VagabondStarJXF said:

True. I hope they haven't decided to drop the original hard shell, which would require a short wheelbase, in favour of a 257mm wheelbase polycarbonate shell. I really like the hard shells.

Me too.  Especially with tacos! :D

The only thing I don't like about hard bodies is prepping and painting them.  Lexan is so much easier to paint in my experience.

I could put off a few things for this... Regardless, it will be exciting to own a Tamiya 037 again, and I look forward to seeing what the TA-02S might be.

2 hours ago, JatoTheRipper said:

Very cool!  

The current "Short Wheelbase" TA02 is called the TA02SW.  The TA02S might be something different.

The 'W' in SW is Wide which is achieved using the 2-part 32mm wheels which have a wider offset (I think 10mm each side). I imagine a TA02S is the same chassis as the TA02SW but with normal 26mm wheels.

3 hours ago, Prescient said:

Oooooooooooooooo do want 

Me too.

Now, do I buy a TA02SW 911 Black Special and hope they do the body on it's own.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, AndyForbes said:

Me too.

Now, do I buy a TA02SW 911 Black Special and hope they do the body on it's own.

Essential to buy 4 of each really; 1 to build, 1 to display nib, one to loft, one to run.

1 hour ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

@ALEXKYRIAK Sounds like your 80s rally car prayers are answered?

Unless he insists on a goofy truck-style stance and oversized tires, then yes :D But you are right, as this will make a shell more readily-available, and as before it can be modified for an original-style Lancia...

I, for one, can hardly wait!

@ThunderDragonCy yes but......ooooooops. I just spent a pretty penny on a 037 shell... !!!  >:(

@Grastens and yes I wanted to go for the older big tyres look.... it’s the one I saw as a kid in the guidebooks...! 

Too bad it's 4wd. This was a RWD car. I won't be buying this. Body is cool, but not the chassis.

100% in on this one! Been a while since I was so tempted. I actually tried this conversion myself a few years ago. The 237mm wheelbase of the TA02SW chassis that I had under a Porsche GT2 body was perfect and I personally think the shaft driven nature was more conducive to a bit of offroad than the belt driven TA03RS it was originally re-released on.

The mix n match I tried failed because the TA03RS body posts did not work with the TA02SW chassis and I could not get the wheels to sit under the body. I am sure with today's 3d printing you could sort these issues easily, but back then I could not come up with a satisfactory solution. It will be interesting to see how Tamiya do this.

I really hope some enterpising soul comes up with some negative offset alloy wheels to bring them under the body. 

• Like 1

Aw, man, and I was all set to ask for a Javelin for xmas. Decisions, decisions...

3 hours ago, magnumb said:

Too bad it's 4wd. This was a RWD car. I won't be buying this. Body is cool, but not the chassis.

YOu can always leave the shaft out and hey presto, RWD,

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, njmlondon said:

I really hope some enterpising soul comes up with some negative offset alloy wheels to bring them under the body. 

*turns on Bat Signal*

Woops, wrong one!

*turns on @VagabondStarJXF Signal*

2 hours ago, njmlondon said:

I really should try saving up for that CNC mill I've been meaning to get since 2005... :o 

1 hour ago, Grastens said:

*turns on Bat Signal*

Woops, wrong one!

*turns on @VagabondStarJXF Signal*

I have a signal!?!?! Yay! :D 

What's the standard track width on a standard, non-wide, TA02 chassis? If it's the same as the M04L there's an option of the M-Chassis sized 037 style wheels I did up for @firefoxussr's M04 037 project earlier this year (which inspired me to try to do my own). Using the tyres from the Team Hahn Racing Truck should give it that old school 'fat rubber' look. I was planning on going this route before I started messing with the shell I've got...

• Thanks 1

On 10/20/2017 at 10:52 PM, VagabondStarJXF said:

What's the standard track width on a standard, non-wide, TA02 chassis? If it's the same as the M04L there's an option of the M-Chassis sized 037 style wheels I did up for @firefoxussr's M04 037 project earlier this year (which inspired me to try to do my own). Using the tyres from the Team Hahn Racing Truck should give it that old school 'fat rubber' look. I was planning on going this route before I started messing with the shell I've got...

The "wide" bit on a TA02 is created by using big wide tires with an offset. The actual chassis and drive shafts are standard and I beleive the TA02 has the same width as the TA03. I think the M04 is quite a bit narrower. 

The TA03RS, the standard chassis is just a teeny tiny bit wide for the Lancia body so I assume the TA02 will be too. The wheels could do with being 1-2mm further under the body.

40 minutes ago, njmlondon said:

The "wide" bit on a TA02 is created by using big wide tires with an offset. The actual chassis and drive shafts are standard and I beleive the TA02 has the same width as the TA03. I think the M04 is quite a bit narrower. 

The TA03RS, the standard chassis is just a teeny tiny bit wide for the Lancia body so I assume the TA02 will be too. The wheels could do with being 1-2mm further under the body.

Just looking at my TA03 and there doesn't seem to be a lot of wiggle room and that's with 1.9" Touring wheels. Putting M-Chassis wheels would eliminate any wiggle room. How about shortening the arms to M-Chassis size, bringing the track inward from 190mm to 170mm, then using offset wheels (+3 or +4 fronts and +6 rears) to nicely fill the arches out? Here's how my M04 looked when I did a quick mock up for fitment. I've got the 26mm 2-Piece wheels set at +4mm on the fronts and the 30mm 2-Piece set at +6mm on the rears.

I recently got some TA02 arms in a job lot so I could see about shortening them but, without a TA02 in hand to check for fitment issues, I wouldn't be able to tell if it'll work properly. That's ok though. It's just an idea at this point. :) 

• Like 1

Funny when the body set was released 4 years ago... I bought two.  I had picked up a TA03 RS chassis for it.. but then later sold it and ended up buying the TA05 30th anniversary instead!  One of my projects has been to fit the Lancia 037 body onto the TA05 chassis. So I pulled one out of the bag and started prepping it today.. 

We have a scale race in a couple of weeks and for the concours I plan on displaying the 037 body... but for the race will switch to a body that can take a beating

I turned to Tamiya USA site today and checked the coming soon section, wondering when the TA02 SW Porsche 934 Black was arriving.. and there it was.. coming soon.. I had a feeling Tamiya would re-release the 037!! :)

On 10/23/2017 at 10:04 AM, VagabondStarJXF said:

Just looking at my TA03 and there doesn't seem to be a lot of wiggle room and that's with 1.9" Touring wheels. Putting M-Chassis wheels would eliminate any wiggle room. How about shortening the arms to M-Chassis size, bringing the track inward from 190mm to 170mm, then using offset wheels (+3 or +4 fronts and +6 rears) to nicely fill the arches out? Here's how my M04 looked when I did a quick mock up for fitment. I've got the 26mm 2-Piece wheels set at +4mm on the fronts and the 30mm 2-Piece set at +6mm on the rears.

That sounds like a great idea but I think it may require a bit or surgery. The M04 parts are 100% compatible with the TL01 chassis but I am not sure they can be strapped onto a TA02. It will also require much shorter dogbones. That is why I hoped there was room to put some negative offset into the wheels, but I do see what you mean about there being a lack of space there. I do wish there were higher profile tires that were M size inside but standard Touring size on the outside.   

What I overlooked about this car (because I have never owned a TA-02, but have a TA-04) is that it is a shaft-driven chassis instead of a belt-driven one. While it goes to show just how little I know about Tamiyas (will send my apologies to the Manta Ray and others), I hope that translates into some more resilience during off-roading (XV-01 notwithstanding), even if the touring-car-style setup would make the really rough stuff a problem.

But wait, it is also the basis for the TA-02T...

... If Tamiya sets up this Lancia with oversized tires, I might explode :o Highly unlikely, given the relative ubiquity of the re-release shell and the TA-02's established touring car experience...

I guess I could always look at Thommo's TA-02 Subaru Brat instead to see how it is done!

• Like 1