This didn't really warrant putting in the build thread as it's too small a mod, but I thought I would share it :)

Made this:

img33435_1019201774947_1.jpg

img33435_1019201774947_2.jpg

To fit in my thundershot to mount the ESC on for a brushless system.

I already had a small piece of carbon fibre mounted in it to act as a mount plate where the MSC used to be, but the speedo was too tall to fit on there, and the 2.4GHz Rx aerial was too short to reach the aerial tube.

img33435_1019201774947_3.jpg

So I fitted the aluminium plate in, I used a thick plate so I could recess the screws used to attach the support pillars, and drilled 2 holes in the bottom of the chassis (In the recessed portions to protect the screws)

img33435_1019201774947_4.jpg

img33435_1019201774947_5.jpg

and was then able to fit the ESC neatly onto the plate I'd made, the ESC is lower than on the carbon plate, and leaves plenty of clearance between the bodyshell and the ESC fan for airflow.

img33435_1019201774947_6.jpg

The ESC is an HobbyWing EzRun 80 amp unit, and the motor is an EzRun 2 pole 4000Kv motor.

• Like 1

Nice and neat!

What size pinion are you using?

On my TS I just servo taped the esc on top of the steering servo and dropped the reciever in the little compartment infront of the battery (under your metal plate). I assume that space was for receiver batteries. I just put an old 17x2 and a hobbywing 1060 in it but not driven it yet. 

On a different subject, do your bottom arms have about 1.5mm forward and backwards freeplay? I just shimmed it out of mine. It doesnt seem to be wear, not sure if it was designed in for a reason.

1 minute ago, graemevw said:

Nice and neat!

What size pinion are you using?

On my TS I just servo taped the esc on top of the steering servo and dropped the reciever in the little compartment infront of the battery (under your metal plate). I assume that space was for receiver batteries. I just put an old 17x2 and a hobbywing 1060 in it but not driven it yet. 

On a different subject, do your bottom arms have about 1.5mm forward and backwards freeplay? I just shimmed it out of mine. It doesnt seem to be wear, not sure if it was designed in for a reason.

I'll have to check the slop on the lower arms, I've not noticed anything significant. The little compartment was originally for the servo for operating the mechanical speedo, which sat where my carbon fibre plate is now. I was tempted to go with a hobbywing ESC and a silver can in the thundershot, but I'm in process of selling the gravel hound the brushless system came out of and didn't have anything else suitable to put the brushless in, so the thundershot got it.

I'm using a 15tooth pinion at the moment, which give it plenty of acceleration, I've only tested it on the drive so haven't been able to get an impression of top end yet. I've also got a Tamiya 53200 one way roller unit in the front along with DF-02 CVDs and top force universals in the back, along with alloy hexes, DF-02 wheels and square spike tires.

Of course thats where the servo went! I should have remembered that, I took the thing out!

I have a 15t on mine too, had a feeling it may be too big but not sure. I need a bumper before I can drive it and find out.

The bottom arms just seem a bit narrow. No slop in the holes, but they slid forward and backwards on the pivot screws far more than I liked. 

11 hours ago, graemevw said:

Of course thats where the servo went! I should have remembered that, I took the thing out!

I have a 15t on mine too, had a feeling it may be too big but not sure. I need a bumper before I can drive it and find out.

The bottom arms just seem a bit narrow. No slop in the holes, but they slid forward and backwards on the pivot screws far more than I liked. 

With regard to the pinion, it depends on the wheels and tires you're using. The thundershot was higher geared that the hotshot as it used smaller wheels and tires, and I believe the standard pinion out of the box to go with the 27T silver can was a 15T. So unless you're using original wheels and tires a 15T might be on the large side for a brushed motor, just see how hot the motor is after 5-10 minutes running.

Yes, thats my plan.

its got egress wheels and schumacher spikes so a little bigger than stock.

It will only be run in my garden anyway so top speed isnt a big issue. Ill probably try a 13t on it.

Just for completeness...

The lacklustre performance, bonfire smell and untouchable motor suggests 15t is too big for a 17x2 on short wet grass!

Sounds that way - just be careful any brushless motor doesn't get too hot otherwise the internals delaminate.

18 minutes ago, Percymon said:

Sounds that way - just be careful any brushless motor doesn't get too hot otherwise the internals delaminate.

Ill probably take it apart again and clean/oil it anyway so ill check. It seems a nice motor (lrp fusion modified phase 2 limited edition). I know nothing about it though, no idea where it even came from.