I’m putting together a little build to use up a lot of spare parts. I’m adding a couple of genuine Tamiya blue parts, so which blue paint is the best match with them?

Thanks.

Tamiya PS 16 (for polycarbonate) is a darkish blue metallic that should match the blue anodizing pretty close..

• Thanks 1

Thanks. I can see three blues on the chart that are very similar, I couldn’t decide on which one. 👍

I have tried 2 polycarbonate blues for my Bigwig. 

I've seen enough photos of Bigwig to know PS-4 was too dark.  It rather looks like "dark blue."   

So I tried "Brilliant Blue (PS-30)."  I didn't think it was all that brilliant and it didn't go well with Bigwig.  

Then I tried "Violet Blue (PS-35)."  It's the assigned color for the "Gravel Hound."  I was worried that it might have too much purple.  But in my opinion, it's just perfect for Bigwig's blue shock towers.  Photo is of my ultra messy desk with "Violet Blue" for Bigwig body.  I've put in a white line just for fun.  

While I did not like "Brilliant Blue" for Bigwig, Tamiya's anodized light blue parts might go well with "Brilliant Blue."  I hope photos help with your decision.  

J0oiTIU.jpg

59f23c4b561ed_Bigwigwhiteline.jpg.9920495dc34deceeeea8c945651c765c.jpg

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Juggular said:

I have tried 2 polycarbonate blues for my Bigwig. 

I've seen enough photos of Bigwig to know PS-4 was too dark.  It rather looks like "dark blue."   

So I tried "Brilliant Blue (PS-30)."  I didn't think it was all that brilliant and it didn't go well with Bigwig.  

Then I tried "Violet Blue (PS-35)."  It's the assigned color for the "Gravel Hound."  I was worried that it might have too much purple.  But in my opinion, it's just perfect for Bigwig's blue shock towers.  Photo is of my ultra messy desk with "Violet Blue" for Bigwig body.  I've put in a white line just for fun.  

While I did not like "Brilliant Blue" for Bigwig, Tamiya's anodized light blue parts might go well with "Brilliant Blue."  I hope photos help with your decision.  

59f23c404a779_BrillaintBlue.thumb.jpg.ebf760091cb35a09c7f436c56b07571f.jpg

59f23c4b561ed_Bigwigwhiteline.jpg.9920495dc34deceeeea8c945651c765c.jpg

Thanks for all that. I think my choice is between PS16 and PS30.

Wondering if anyone has found a combination of Tamiya PS paint that matches the blue hop-up parts? I just tried 2 coats of PS-38 Translucent Blue and backed with PS-25 Bright Green. Not even close…this came out as Hunter Green. 

To my eyes, the hop-up blue anodizing is more of a teal blue. Has anyone cracked the code for the polycarbonate match?

Bump. I find it hard to believe that nobody has tried to match hop-up blue with some combo of PS paints?? Come on guys! :D Or am I overthinking this...should I just use PS-30 and call it a day?

Duplicolor metalcast blue always looked pretty close from google images searches but i dont think its available in the Uk so ive not tried it.

Someone came pretty close with a 2k clear coat blue colour on some hi-fi parts but i cant find the thread

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

Duplicolor metalcast blue always looked pretty close from google images searches but i dont think its available in the Uk so ive not tried it.

Someone came pretty close with a 2k clear coat blue colour on some hi-fi parts but i cant find the thread

Perhaps this? @Nicadraus showed some stunning thngs in there, but the photos are gone apparently.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, JimBear said:

Perhaps this? @Nicadraus showed some stunning thngs in there, but the photos are gone apparently.

Yes that was it!!  Shame about the photo links having gone as the colour he had was spot on

• Like 1

Just now, Superluminal said:

Yes that was it!!  Shame about the photo links having gone as the colour he had was spot on

Yep, there is colour and then there is colour ... :)

• Like 1