Sign in to follow this  
Juggular

13x2 or 21 turn for Gravel Hound?

Is 13x2 too fast & too weak for Gravel Hound? 

I was going to mount a 21t or 23t on Gravel Hound.  But I found a 13x2 motor in my stash of old motors.  I've never run 13x2 before--I thought it was for light on-road cars.  

I'm thinking anything less than a 21T would have too little torque for a 4x4 (especially on pavement).  Does any have experience with 13x2?  

Simple answer is that 13x2 is too much, unless..

1. you are sympathetic with the throttle / can programme the transmitter for a softer throttle curve

2. You have upgrades within the drivetrain

3. You can actually gear it to suit that motor ?  Smallest pinion is 16tooth from recollection, which may still be too high for the motor to spin up into its full operating range

4. you have an ESC that can handle the current draw

With the DF-02 chassis, you've got quite a lot of gearing options at hand, please see the manual for more information.

I'd suggest trying the smallest pinion with the largest spur gear to get as much torque as possible out of a high RPM motor. Still, since you want to use a brushed motor, keep in mind these are less efficient than a brushless counterpart. If it gets too hot, even a heat sink might not be helpful.

Also, use a mod 0.6 steel pinion, the stock aluminium pinion gets worn fast on high revs.

Thank you, 

Based on both of your opinions, I will stick with a 21 turn motor.  The previous owner had a 19 teeth steel pinion on a silver can.  But I think I'll get a 17 or 16t pinion for the 21 turn motor. 

The 13x2 motor would have to wait for another car.