VagabondStarJXF

Announcements for my Shapeways shop!

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!

It's the run up to the festive season so I've reduced some prices across my Shapeways store from now until January 1st 2018:

CW01 (Lunchbox, Midnight Pumpkin, Montero Wheelie, etc) chassis braces

(Model shown for illustration purposes only. Model not included.)

13411663_1030461453710616_48220095277252

Front Brace

13392190_1030461467043948_84022135692626

Rear Brace

17798989_1304695659620526_69524813644629

Both Braces

Strong & Flexible Polished

Front: Was $10.99 – Now $9.99

Rear: Was $10.99 – Now $9.99

Set of Front & Rear: Was $19.99 – Now $17.99

Metallic Plastic

Front:  $14.99 - $12.99

Front Polished:  $14.99 - $13.49

Rear: $14.99 - $13.99

Rear Polished: $14.99 - $14.49

Set of Front & Rear: Was $28.99 – Now $25.99

Set of Front & Rear Polished: Was $28.99 – Now $26.99

Polished version not available until further notice.

NEW! Premium Strong & Flexible

Front: (Introductory Price) $17.99

Rear: (Introductory Price) $18.99

Set of Front & Rear: (Introductory Price) $34.99

Stainless Steel

Front: Was $79.99 – Now $59.99

Rear: Was $69.99 – Now $62.99

Set of Front & Rear: Was $134.99 – Now $109.99

Raw Aluminium

Front: Was $129.99 – Now $109.99

Rear: Was $129.99 – Now $119.99

Set of Front & Rear: $235.99 – Now $219.99

CW01/Grasshopper/Hornet Diff Lock

17505018_1297735840316508_37980011765268

(Shown assembled for illustration purposes only. Gear & shafts not included.)

Special Price!

(White Strong & Flexible Only)

$14.99

M04S Centre Chassis Section for 210mm Wheelbase

(Model shown for illustration purposes only. Model not included.)

19577047_1394909147265843_14466625207744

Left Side

19679112_1394909093932515_35167427312351

Right Side

23004814_1496851937071563_45167926243851

Underside to show modified servo access clearance.

[Left side only]

Strong & Flexible Polished: Was $34.99 – Now $29.99

New! Premium Strong & Flexible: (Introductory Price) $59.99

Metallic Plastic: Was $54.99 – Now $49.99

Stainless Steel: (Introductory Price) $129.99

Raw Aluminium: Was $359.99 – Now $329.99

Black Hi-Def Acrylate: Was $89.99 – Now $81.99

[Right side only]

Strong & Flexible Polished: Was $34.99 – Now $29.99

New! Premium Strong & Flexible: (Introductory Price) $59.99

Metallic Plastic: Was $54.99 – Now $49.99

Stainless Steel: (Introductory Price) $129.99

Raw Aluminium: Was $359.99 – Now $329.99

Black Hi-Def Acrylate: Was $89.99 – Now $81.99

[Set of Left & Right sides]

(Parts are connected by two sprues that'll need to be trimmed away)

Strong & Flexible Polished: Was $64.99 – Now $57.99

New! Premium Strong & Flexible: (Introductory Price) $104.99

Metallic Plastic: Was $99.99 – Now $89.99

Black Hi-Def Acrylate: Was $169.99 – Now $154.99

(Stainless Steel and Raw Aluminium are not available in this format. Sorry)

Link:

Happy Shopping!

For those who don't know... How does ordering from Shapeways work?

Basically, when you want to buy an item via Shapeways you select your colour and material options (if those options are available) and add the item to your cart. You select your shipping method based on how fast you want your order then, once you've made your payment, Shapeways adds your order to the print queue. Once printed, the item will be sent to finishing where plastics will be dyed, metals will be polished, etc., then your items will be packaged carefully along with bubble packing then shipped via UPS to you. Shapeways has based in the Netherlands and in the USA so shipping to either Europe or US shouldn't be an issue. Shipping cost seems to be a flat rate so you can add as much to your order as you like without worrying about weight restrictions.

Forgotten to buy something but you've paid already? No problem! As your order will take time to print off you can add more items to it without paying for extra shipping. Just make sure you tick the right box under their shipping options to ship with your previous order before that order is completed & sent to packing. :) 

Why not just order a fully operational servo for the same price, or a servo shell for half the price?
Sorry to say, but simply because it can easily be designed and printed, doesn't make it a good idea...

That's a valid question. Thanks for asking. :) 

Pricewise I agree with you. Buying a fully working servo makes more sense if it's the same price. I'm always after something similar to the Acoms AS16s that are no longer available. The cheapest equivalent I've found was the Carson CS3 for £7.99, which is almost 17p cheaper than a single one of my dummy servos (£8.17 approx. depending on exchange rate). I do offer a pack of 4 which knocks the price down to about £5.45 each, a much nicer price per item IMO but still pricey when you factor in shipping costs. I think, at its cheapest option, it's a nice 'add on' to the shopping cart if you're buying other things via Shapeways but not something I'd expect people to buy on its own.

I have toyed with the idea of just getting servo cases before I drew up my dummy servos but there's a problem with empty servo cases. Despite being cheap they're empty and have nothing for the servo saver to hold on to. That's one of the reasons why I drew up the dummy ones.

As for your statement about it not being a good idea... When I drew them up at the beginning of 2017 it was a good enough idea for someone to ask me to make it available on my shop and, at that time, I couldn't find servos cheaper than £12.99 so I disagree. Also, I'm looking into cheaper alternatives to print them off, to negate the main bulk of the cost, making it completely worthwhile. Another person on one of the FB groups I frequent recently printed off a "complete" dummy servo for less than $1 cost. I had no input into this, he came up with the idea independently of me, so is it such a bad idea just because it's easily designed and printed? It is expensive to print off at the moment, that much is certain, but that doesn't stop it from being a good idea.

I am not out to bash your design ideas, and my opinion is simply my opinion, and not in any way or form anything that you should consider - other than as constructive feedback.
3D printed parts are not an optimal way to reproduce readily available parts, but a great way to make new, innovative parts - for both old and new applications - or as replacements for parts no longer available.
Again, this is just my take on this aspect of the hobby, and not meant as criticism for what you or others decide to make available on SW - the sales will speak for themselves. It's great to see more people getting into designing custom parts for these old models.
For me, it sure made it easier to fulfil some of the ideas I've had for years...

Regarding time correct servos, I have a big stash from various cars I obtained while collecting over the years, but even new standard servos are dead cheap.

Independently of you and the other guy on FB (with the printed S3003 replica) I also designed and 3D printed some dummy servo's. Now I have the advantage of working at Shapeways and being able to pick up my orders saving on shippingcosts, but it's still a little pricey. The cool thing for me is that I replicated the housing of a RC OMG low-profile servo, which I'm running in all my drivable cars. Now I can use the dummy for more than just keeping the steeringlinks centered on shelfers, but also to mock up the wiring etc. in new project cars.

The cool thing about 3D printing is that once you've made the 3D design it doesn't matter how much you will sell if any at all. The file is finished, you can print it just for yourself and if there's anyone else out there crazy enough to want the same thing it's available. No idea is a bad idea in that case.

On ‎04‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 6:55 PM, VagabondStarJXF said:

That's a valid question. Thanks for asking. :) 

Pricewise I agree with you. Buying a fully working servo makes more sense if it's the same price. I'm always after something similar to the Acoms AS16s that are no longer available. The cheapest equivalent I've found was the Carson CS3 for £7.99, which is almost 17p cheaper than a single one of my dummy servos (£8.17 approx. depending on exchange rate). I do offer a pack of 4 which knocks the price down to about £5.45 each, a much nicer price per item IMO but still pricey when you factor in shipping costs. I think, at its cheapest option, it's a nice 'add on' to the shopping cart if you're buying other things via Shapeways but not something I'd expect people to buy on its own.

I have toyed with the idea of just getting servo cases before I drew up my dummy servos but there's a problem with empty servo cases. Despite being cheap they're empty and have nothing for the servo saver to hold on to. That's one of the reasons why I drew up the dummy ones.

As for your statement about it not being a good idea... When I drew them up at the beginning of 2017 it was a good enough idea for someone to ask me to make it available on my shop and, at that time, I couldn't find servos cheaper than £12.99 so I disagree. Also, I'm looking into cheaper alternatives to print them off, to negate the main bulk of the cost, making it completely worthwhile. Another person on one of the FB groups I frequent recently printed off a "complete" dummy servo for less than $1 cost. I had no input into this, he came up with the idea independently of me, so is it such a bad idea just because it's easily designed and printed? It is expensive to print off at the moment, that much is certain, but that doesn't stop it from being a good idea.

hobbyking 15138 servo is a decent Futaba copy, in the UK inc. shipping I can get 5 for just under £20

however its a nice option to have your dummy ones, can you offer them in different colours and clear? 

5 for under £20? Nice!

At the moment no other options are available. I cut the model down so much to get it to that price, so much so that it won't survive the polishing process to make it to the dye bit. If I beef up the connecting sprue then it should be capable but then it'd cost more. There's still room for a bit of refining so maybe I'll be able to get the right 'balance' to make it polish able.

1 hour ago, VagabondStarJXF said:

I cut the model down so much to get it to that price, so much so that it won't survive the polishing process to make it to the dye bit.

Are you sure? Looks like they are easily big enough to be polished. I've seen tiny tiny models come through ;)

5 hours ago, Tizer said:

Are you sure? Looks like they are easily big enough to be polished. I've seen tiny tiny models come through ;)

I've put tiny models through! :D 

Yeah. It's not the model pieces it's the connecting sprue. I've tried a few variations but I've made it too thin and dropped it from 4 connecting points down to 1. If I beef it up and redo it with 2 or 3 points of connection then it should work. I'm trying to rework it now but there's absolutely no way I can get it as cheap as the HobbyKing servo @taffer mentioned. There's got to be some way to make it competitive though...

1 hour ago, VagabondStarJXF said:

there's absolutely no way I can get it as cheap as the HobbyKing servo @taffer mentioned. There's got to be some way to make it competitive though...

And that makes is a poor idea, or a non viable part to design, or print IMO...
Why spend time trying to reproduce something that is better in it's original form and availability - rather than making new, improved custom parts?
If it's about the challenge, and paying more for something, well... 

Having the choice of colour will make it worth it. Plus cheap servo's always look cheap IMO too, and I don't want them in my nice looking chassis'.

• Like 1

Shapeways shop alert!

I just want everyone to know that I've just fixed a problem with my Lunchbox Chassis Braces (the set of 2) in Polished Metallic Plastic. If any of the other chassis braces have a problem with this material I may have to remove it as an option. Thank you for your patience & patronage and sorry for any inconvenience caused.

question.... since theyre Nylon can you dye these? I was a red one but not a pinkish red..........lol also any chance you have a real pick of the premium plastic pieces in comparison to the regular ones?

Mud

Yep, the nylon is dye-able. Just order a white one and you can dye it yourself.

I don't have any pics of my stuff in Premium yet as it's only recently released and I haven't had a chance to print anything off in it. Shapeways do have comparison pics on their blog if that helps.

Well... Shapeways have failed to print my Lunchbox chassis braces in Polished Metallic Plastic again, despite me using their system to fix it, so I'm removing this option of this material from being available. Sorry to anyone who wanted this option. I don't know what's happened there...

19 hours ago, VagabondStarJXF said:

Yep, the nylon is dye-able. Just order a white one and you can dye it yourself.

I don't have any pics of my stuff in Premium yet as it's only recently released and I haven't had a chance to print anything off in it. Shapeways do have comparison pics on their blog if that helps.

great! now if I can just get them to do another free shipping promotion.................... (those seem to be few and far between)

• Like 1

I have been printing my designs on Shapeways for about 5 years, and have printed some parts in the Premium Black lately, and can confirm it works well. It is very pricey though, almost double of what the White Strong Flexible Polished is. The finish is a little bit smoother on tha Premium. BTW, all the colored sintered nylon (like the Strong Flexible material line consists of) are dyed after printied and polish (tumbled with ceramic pellets).