mman2005

Wanted Hotshot/Thunder Shot Ball Bearing Set

Hi all. I've just acquired some vintage thunder shot parts and they are in fantastic condition. I would like to make a shelf queen but upgrade the plastic 'bearings' to full ball bearings. The part number for the set is 50241 and was for the hotshot. Please could you let me know if you have anything that can help or point me in the direction to where I might be able to find a set. I'm happy to hunt down individual bearings but I don't the the part numbers or specs on them so if this is something you can provide instead I would be grateful. Thanks in advance.

check out eBay item no 231679553883

I've used this seller multiple times, the bearings have been great

However, all sellers seem to neglect the couple of extra bearings that replace the E1 plastic part and metal thrust washers

technically the hop up option for this part was a thrust bearing but its easier and cheaper to use a ball bearing

I've ran thundershots for 100+ hours with a ball bearing instead of a thrust bearing with no negative effect

• Thanks 1

That's a great help thanks but I do have a couple of questions. So the E1 plastic parts are to be replaced with standard ball bearings? The metal thrust washers can be replaced with ball bearings or thrust bearings? Does the flat spot on the E1 part not cause a problem when fitting ball bearings?

Edited by mman2005
Made clearer

the ball bearing replaces both the e1 and thrust washer part, when your rebuilding you'll see its a direct fit

because bearings are so cheap now its worth replacing while you have it apart

my first Thundershot rere build from 2005 still has the e1 part etc because I didn't know at the time but its still running fine but ever since then I've installed ball bearings

the fastest motors I've had in my thundershots have only been as low as 12 turn brushed, the majority of my 100 hours run time has been on tamiya's BZ, RZ or TZ  superstock 23 turn motors

14 minutes ago, taffer said:

the ball bearing replaces both the e1 and thrust washer part, when your rebuilding you'll see its a direct fit

because bearings are so cheap now its worth replacing while you have it apart

my first Thundershot rere build from 2005 still has the e1 part etc because I didn't know at the time but its still running fine but ever since then I've installed ball bearings

the fastest motors I've had in my thundershots have only been as low as 12 turn brushed, the majority of my 100 hours run time has been on tamiya's BZ, RZ or TZ  superstock 23 turn motors

Ah is that why the hotshot bearing set is only 13 1150 and 5 850? I'm not sure why the thunder dragon instructions state to use the hotshot set when there are 18 bearings and the set on eBay is 21. I understand why the set on eBay is 21 but not why the hotshot set can be used with only a total of 18

Edited by mman2005
Made clearer

A Tamiya quirk, I'm sure Tamiya would probably recommend buying 2x hot shot bb kits to cover all that's needed, I don't think there ever was a similarly titled Thundershot bb hopup pack.

• Like 1

:blink::D how random!! I was expecting the recommendation on the instructions to be a direct replacement. Thanks for your help and info

15 minutes ago, taffer said:

A Tamiya quirk, I'm sure Tamiya would probably recommend buying 2x hot shot bb kits to cover all that's needed, I don't think there ever was a similarly titled Thundershot bb hopup pack.

So just to clarify I would need the 21 ball bearing set and then 3 1150 ball bearings to fully convert?

yes 3 extra 1150 ball bearings to replace the 3 e1+washer parts

ideally use a mixture of metal shielded and rubber shielded but again bearings are so cheap they can replaced when they get gritty, worn etc

Won't all metal shield be better as I won't have to worry about the rubber perishing or do you get a better performance from the rubber ones?

I've never had the rubber perish

I normally only use rubber sealed on exposed areas

BUT equally I've done metal shield all around many times without problems, when I clean up the drive shafts periodically I also clean any dirty bearings (ie on the wheel hubs)

if you run on sand at any time then more care must be taken (and more maintenance) and a compressor would then be handy to blow away sand , debris and rinsing water from the wash you would need to do