Sign in to follow this  
Grasshopper123

First Timer - please help!

Hi there, I recently purchased a Grasshopper as my first rc since I was a boy. Was thinking a bit of nostalgia and then perhaps a more modern one next. Unfortunately my confidence has taken a bit of a knocking. On building my Grasshopper I have installed the servo, receiver esc. Thought I would test it before doing anything else and the wheels will turn but they will not drive. I am not getting anything from the motor.

Things I know/can see : wheels turn fine, battery is charged, receiver lights up, esc (Carson) lights up green when I press forward and backward, wires are seated correctly, there is a loose yellow wire from the esc, there is nothing plugged into the BEC port on the receiver(?), I have a brand new 540 Mabuchi motor but it is not turning or making any sound. 

What next please help!? Many thanks

A204805A-74DA-4F90-9E96-DE9E57B2DCDC.jpeg

Hello and welcome,

You need to connect the yellow to yellow wire on the motor the orange is for brushless setup and its not used in this setup just tuck it away 

Super answer ;)

Then make sure you neatly tuck the unused orange wire away so it doesn't get squished by the wheels and go wear out those rear spikey tyres!

• Like 1

Yes yellow to yellow, blue to green for the ESC to motor leads. 

I forget what the manual says but it seems like I followed it and they were connected wrong initially as well. Should be a simple thing...

On another point, did you power up the servo initially to centre it before installing the servo arm - the servos do not come out of the box on centre.

Also sometimes this esc is setup in brushless mode as standard. Make sure you put it in to brushed mode or you can damage the speed controller. You can tell by the light on the esc When you turn it on. Just carefully ready the esc manual.