Baddon

New forum member & User saying hello with history & Questions

Hi there,

My RC history in short:-

I got a second hand Boomerang as a teenager for a Birthday present, Then got a Thunderhot, heavily modded it and still have it along with a Midnight Pumpkin (boxes for both) again modded. Then got a Traxxass T Max(still have box) but was never great with the nitro mix and found it a pain to get running correctly. Still have it as well....Then in my mid 20's started racing Mini Z F1's then Mini Z touring cars. Got into trikes and never looked back till this week....now in my 40's and two boys are looking at my RC cars and started playing with mini Z kits.....

I know the Tamiya kits are WAY more fun so went on Gumtree and bought a decent looking used Neo Scorcher, ordered 2 new batteries and ballrace set.....here we go again I think. Photo attached I hope.

QUESTIONS:-

1-Does the Neo Scorcher (TT-02B) model have any notable weaknesses I should know about? The motor has been uprated and from state of tires its not been used much. It also has the wheel transmitter I have preference for after my Mini Z years. The original motor and case are included as is the charger you see below. His batteries are shot so need to get some. All for under £100. I have ordered a ballrace set already which when I fit will at least give me a chance to strip and get inside the kit to see what has changed in nearly 20 years! Hope he still has the instructions, I did check and he does not have the box. Collect in a few days.

2-Are the Pumpkin & Thundershot boxes and instructions of any value? The cars are WELL USED with a few of my own mods (larger heavier duty bumpers to name but one) so will, unless someone REALLY wants them, keep them for the boys. Can add photos if anyone is interested.

3-or the Traxxas T Max (its complete with Box, instructions, radio gear, EZ start and a few spares as well as some mods BUT as mentioned above never had it run for long as was poor with the Nitro mix, so its been run in about.......15 years I reckon)

4-To get the Thundershot up and running I need to get the little steel pins that go through the stub axle to drive the triangle wheel carriers and also 4 new wheel carriers. Anyone any links for these please? I know I have them but cant lay hands on them after nearly 20 years.

5-Whats the sensible value/choice for RC 7.2V batteries these days, was 1700 Red packs over yellow in My day, just ordered 3300NiMh so hope I got that reasonably right?

in case.JPG

motor.JPG

charger.JPG

transmitter.JPG

Edited by Baddon
more questions added and Photos of my new to me Neo Scorcher
  • Like 1

On the Neo Scorcher is there any known issues I should be aware of?

I see the bumper is VERY narrow compared to any of my older kits, are the front wheels and suspension arms not very vulnerable from damage - as I use them as a back yard brasher.

Only one I can help with is number 4. The triangle wheel carrier are on sprue Tamiya 9005288. Just Google it. Drive pins on their own not sure but again, Google. I run a Thunder Dragon. The wheels are a weird size (1.9") which you can't really gets tyres for. You can either get the triangles and search out some hot shot wheels which are 2" or I would suggest buying 12mm hex drives instead (which come with pins) like on the neo scorcher. If you do that you can get any modern wheel. Tamiya wheels or any other brand. Tamiya Manta Ray wheels are also 2" but 12mm hex fitting if you want to keep it vintage and 2" wheels can fit the awesome (IMO) Schumacher CAT Block tyres. Otherwise you can fit any 2.2" modern wheel and have the choice of any tyre you like for any surface. I have 2.2" on mine.

4 hours ago, Baddon said:

On the Neo Scorcher is there any known issues I should be aware of?

I see the bumper is VERY narrow compared to any of my older kits, are the front wheels and suspension arms not very vulnerable from damage - as I use them as a back yard brasher.

The most significant weaknesses are the rear diff ring gear and pinion, being light but weak plastic items better suited to a touring car. They tend to self-destruct when jumping, especially if an upgraded motor is fitted.

The common fixes involve either a metal geared diff and pinion from a DF-02, or metal diff gears from GPM.

14 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

The most significant weaknesses are the rear diff ring gear and pinion, being light but weak plastic items better suited to a touring car. They tend to self-destruct when jumping, especially if an upgraded motor is fitted.

The common fixes involve either a metal geared diff and pinion from a DF-02, or metal diff gears from GPM.

Thanks for that-

Any links on ebay or amazon or a site you recommend?

22 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Only one I can help with is number 4. The triangle wheel carrier are on sprue Tamiya 9005288. Just Google it. Drive pins on their own not sure but again, Google. I run a Thunder Dragon. The wheels are a weird size (1.9") which you can't really gets tyres for. You can either get the triangles and search out some hot shot wheels which are 2" or I would suggest buying 12mm hex drives instead (which come with pins) like on the neo scorcher. If you do that you can get any modern wheel. Tamiya wheels or any other brand. Tamiya Manta Ray wheels are also 2" but 12mm hex fitting if you want to keep it vintage and 2" wheels can fit the awesome (IMO) Schumacher CAT Block tyres. Otherwise you can fit any 2.2" modern wheel and have the choice of any tyre you like for any surface. I have 2.2" on mine.

Thanks for the reply,

I was out again taking some pics and went over some spares I found, I have the pins and triangles, BUT the tires are starting to disintegrate, I also have my old Boomerang rims, no tires on those.....so need tires to fit the boomerang/hotshot or similar. I always thought the pin tires on the Thundershot series were way to soft (quick to wear to slicks) while really liked the oval blocks of the Boomerang series.

25 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Oh and 3300 nimh packs will be great.

great news, thanks

44 minutes ago, Baddon said:

Thanks for that-

Any links on ebay or amazon or a site you recommend?

The GPM option:

http://www.fusionhobbies.com/product/tt2100-gpm-tt-02-b-steel-ring-gear-and-bevel-gear-set

The DF-02 option:

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/tamiya-parts-bag-a-df-02/rc-car-products/26642

For which you also need the 3-bevel housings from the TT-01:

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/tamiya-tt01-g-parts-gears-/rc-car-products/17805

34 minutes ago, Baddon said:

Thanks for the reply,

I was out again taking some pics and went over some spares I found, I have the pins and triangles, BUT the tires are starting to disintegrate, I also have my old Boomerang rims, no tires on those.....so need tires to fit the boomerang/hotshot or similar. I always thought the pin tires on the Thundershot series were way to soft (quick to wear to slicks) while really liked the oval blocks of the Boomerang series.

Boomer wheels are 2" too. Get some blue compound Schumacher CAT blocks. They aren't expensive and similar to the old oval blocks (which are hard to get now)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Baddon said:

OUCH.... will likely put stock motor back in for a bit as I haven't driven RC in a LONG TIME.

The DF-02 option is far better value - it costs less than the GPM gearset and you get enough bits to build two diffs, so you can either upgrade the front one as well, or sell the second one to defray some of the expense.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TurnipJF said:

The DF-02 option is far better value - it costs less than the GPM gearset and you get enough bits to build two diffs, so you can either upgrade the front one as well, or sell the second one to defray some of the expense.

Phew was starting to think hop up parts prices have gone through the roof....

24 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Boomer wheels are 2" too. Get some blue compound Schumacher CAT blocks. They aren't expensive and similar to the old oval blocks (which are hard to get now)

These any good?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-4pcs-Truck-Tires-set-for-TAMIYA-TT-02B-DF-02-Buggy-Chassis/132029626141?hash=item1ebd94371d:m:mR3sVzKLbMIjVd7Oa9UNh9A

Welcome back!

A fair bit has changed while you've been away, but luckily it's gone full circle and tamiya have re released alot of cars, so there's spares available.

Tyres wise, these are all 2" (the rib spike are 2wd fronts though) Schumacher tyre compound grades are just the same as bitd, silver are super soft but grippy, then yellow, green and then blue are hard ,aren't that grippy, but last ages.

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?CategoryID=9960&SubCategoryID=996010&MSAttributeID[58]=713&MSAttributeID[63]=871

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

sorry followed the first link and had a fit, only just realised you posted the links for the 2nd option. Maybe have to find another TT-02B for my son......or my good lady. For their Christmas boxes don't you know!

Would love to build one from scratch

7 hours ago, Baddon said:

What other TT-02B are out there?

Dual Ridge and Plasma Edge 2

17 minutes ago, Baddon said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Schumacher-CAT-Minispike-2-2-Tire-Set-Blue-New/192362035632?hash=item2cc9abb9b0:g:x2AAAOSwU8hY7MA2

Will these fit the Boomerang rims seems like a good price for them. If not they of use to anyone else?

Nope, they are 2.2" tyres,modern buggy size, vintage is mostly 2"  

Thanks Wooders28.

Can I use them with a converter of some sort as I need new rubber on my Thundershot and if I can get rims at same time for a decent price that gives me more choice for cheaper boots why not? I have as you can see for the photos both Thundershot and Boomerang Rims.

car.jpg

transmitter and Boomerang wheels.jpg

If you look at the Modelsport link I posted, there's new tamiya tyres listed, if you wanted to keep the original look on the boomer. Not sure about the thundershot, I've never had one, but @ThunderDragonCy knows his stuff.

there always seems to be Thundershot tyres around on eBay at ok prices, even when they go bald (if running on tarmac) there are still many hours of driving before they split and fly off!😃

I change my Tshot tyres approx every 18months

32 minutes ago, taffer said:

there always seems to be Thundershot tyres around on eBay at ok prices, even when they go bald (if running on tarmac) there are still many hours of driving before they split and fly off!😃

I change my Tshot tyres approx every 18months

My issue is our house is surrounded by gravel, so need something that has a bit of wear and bite, hence loved the oval blocks on the Boomerang, put em on the Thundershot till they fell apart. Now the thundershot tires are also shot.

Whats my least expensive way to get it up and running, ideally with rims and tires?

I have just bought a Neo Scorcher (yet to collect it but not long now) and will likely have same issue there. so same question.

I will more than likely (if its expensive to get my Thundershot up and running again) try to find another Gumtree local (N.Ireland) as can go look and pick up. Due to the gravel need a 4WD with some ground clearance. Any other buggies a good choice? esp for a learner (my eldest) and something indestructible fro my youngest (was considering letting him use Midnight pumpkin if I go back to stock motor)

For indestructible get a Mad Bull. Cheap, can handle gravel and takes a beating and keeps going.