Oliburns

Kyosho raider restoration

Hi all,

I have dusted down my 30 year old raider and it works! Or did!

Bought new battery and it was running great. Turned off but didn't disconnect and somehow the old MSC got nudged on . when I smelt smoke it turned all off and recharged battery. It now works only on full speed, I guess I have blown the resistor. As I can't get a spare u was going to buy the 1060? ESC and use that.

My question is this... Is it relatively easy to swap the old style MSC out and replace with a new one. Can anyone explain what I need to do please. I have a futaba attack r controller- do just swap the crystal over to the new ESC? Is there anything else I need to remove?

Also I need new tyres for the rear wheels and new rear shocks ( the others have always sagged and it seems to run too low to the ground. They are 65mm so was thinking I could get some linger ones?

Any advice on what size shocks and wheels I'd need would be appreciated along with where to source them (/I'm in the UK).

My kids are you so want them to get used to the fun of rc cars before they migrate to more modern models!

Many thanks for any advice.

Oli

15106073973141057492779.jpg

2 hours ago, Oliburns said:

As I can't get a spare u was going to buy the 1060? ESC 

The 1060 esc is a tried and tested esc, cheap and works well, You could possibly get a spare msc  (might have one myself somewhere! I've ditched all the Msc's for esc's) But you'd be better with the 1060, if you don't care much about , keeping it original. 

My question is this... Is it relatively easy to swap the old style MSC out and replace with a new one.

Yes, couple of minutes job to upgrade to an esc.

Unplug the 2 motor wires (red/black) plugs.

Unplug the red/black/white plug from the reciever.

Unbolt resistor, msc, and msc servo and fling over shoulder.

Take newly purchased 1060 esc, (setting the jumpers first. ie- nimh battery or lipo battery, forward/reverse or for/ rev + brake etc) 

Connect red/black/white connector into reciever

Connect motor plugs 

Connect battery 

Check forward is forward (either swap wires or servo reverse on transmitter if not) 

Enjoy!

Also I need new tyres for the rear wheels and new rear shocks ( the others have always sagged and it seems to run too low to the ground. They are 65mm so was thinking I could get some linger ones?

Any advice on what size shocks and wheels I'd need would be appreciated along with where to source them (/I'm in the UK).

Rear tyres, I'm not 100% certain on the wheel diameter, they are not modern 2.2" size though. My Ultima has 2" tyres which you can still buy (Modelsport have a good selection) if I remember right, the raider has 12mm hex drives on the rear, so you could buy a modern 2.2" wheel and have heaps of choice! (Or buy a pre glued ,ready to run , wheel and tyre  (Modelsport) .

Don't believe there is much choice for the fronts I'm affraid.

The raider has friction shocks, so no oil, it's all on the springs. The springs can be adjusted using the red collar at the top, slackening the screw, push it down on the spring, and tightening the screw (Not too much, you'll snap it) 

Hope there's some info to digest.

Nice one! Raiders are great fun. At one point a few years ago I ended up with five of them, however; they tend to multiply. Be careful. :)

Wheels and tires are actually fairly easy for this. Front wheels and tires from a re-re Kyosho Scorpion, Beetle, or Tomahawk will bolt right onto the front axles, using the same 4x8mm bearings as the Raider wheels. The re-re Scorpion tires might fit the Raider stock wheels, but don't quote me on it. But as stated above, because they're 12mm hex drive, anything will fit. Modern 2.2" rear wheels will also be a bit taller, and give you a little ground clearance boost, which may solve your bottoming-out problem without messing around with new shocks.

Wooders- thank you, ordering a new ESC later! I take it I keep thebreciever I have now and just ditch the old MSC and resistor(sorry if that sounds stupid).

Will let you know how I get on.

Oli

• Like 1

Markbt- thank you.

I will keep the old shocks for now and get some chunky 2.2 wheels. Any recommendations for them and where I can buy some!

Cheers

Oli

3 hours ago, Oliburns said:

I take it I keep thebreciever I have now and just ditch the old MSC and resistor(sorry if that sounds stupid).

If the reciever works, then I see no reason to change it.

Yeah, just ditch/remove the MSC, resistor and servo (the msc setup maybe toast, but the servo will do as a spare steering servo).

3 hours ago, Oliburns said:

Hi again wooders- missed the bit about tyres there! Loads to look into thanks guys

If you are just looking into something that fits on the rear (12mm hex) their are literally hundreds to choose from! 

If money is tight, I'd go for these,they are 'blue' hard compound , which means they should last a while (but less grip, always a trade off)

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/schumacher-block-rears-blue-cat/rc-car-products/2280

they are for a 2" wheel  (which I'm sure the rear raiders are) but stretch to fit 2.2" modern wheels, such as, 

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/ftx-rear-buggy-wheel-black-vantage/rc-car-products/365789

Thanks wooders.

i like the look of those wheels and tyres. The tyres say they are 2" while the wheels are 2.2. Would they fit each other and do I need glue? Like the idea of bigger wheels to increase clearance. I'm guessing these are bigger!

what about these?

https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/115256/

cheers

oli

5 hours ago, Oliburns said:

Thanks wooders.

i like the look of those wheels and tyres. The tyres say they are 2" while the wheels are 2.2. Would they fit each other and do I need glue? Like the idea of bigger wheels to increase clearance. I'm guessing these are bigger!

Yeah, you can get those 2" to fit, they'll no doubt put up a fight, bit seemingly they will fit. 🙄

5 hours ago, Oliburns said:

what about these?

https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/115256/

cheers

oli

Yep, they should just bolt straight on.

The stock rear rims of Raider are 1.6".  The Tamiya Hornet  rear tires are suitable.  I recommend you  put foam inside the tires.

s-l400.jpg