AndyjcClod

First Truck but which one

hi everyone

I am planning on getting my first tamiya truck but dont know which one to get. i like the American looking trucks, knight hauler, globe liner, aeromax etc but I dont know which is best. Does anyone have any tips or recomendations or are they all pretty much the same with different bodies?

I have quite a few different trucks..

ALL of the Tamiya Trucks use the same front axle.. Some of the Euro trucks have a guide pin for the shift linkage on the gearbox, otherwise the gearbox is the same for all trucks.... All of the 6x4 or 3 axle trucks share the same axles, suspension and gearbox.. Likewise all of the 4x2 or 2 axle trucks share the same axles, suspension and gearbox.. The major difference between the kits is in the length of the chassis rails, and the body shell that is used..

Buy whatever truck you like the look of the best.. Chances are that it wont be your last truck, they seem to multiply..

Some other things that you may want to consider when you buy your truck...

If you plan to run it, then ball bearings are a good upgrade,,, The trucks IMHO are way too fast with the kit supplied 27T silvercan motor, so many will opt to fit a 55 turn motor to slow them down to a more realistic speed.. (Carson Poison truck motor or the RC4WD 55t are popular choices) 

Are you going to fit a Tamiya MFU (MFC-01/03)?? The trucks only need a 3 channel radio to operate the basic functions (steering, gears and throttle).. You will need a 4 channel radio with analog trims, or a digital radio with a programmable dual rate function if you plan to use a Tamiya MFU..

Are you going to want to add any extra functions such as lights, flashing beacon lights, Hoist motors for a dump truck, pump for a water tanker etc. that you would want to control from the radio??  Maybe you will need a radio with more than 4 channels..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Welcome to the money-pit :D

I had a Euro truck (MAN TGX 6x4) and can't wait to add a US truck to my collection.  Not sure how to sneak it by the wife, tho.

Backlash has already added most of the important points, but basically it's about what you fancy rather than what is 'better' as they're all much the same under the lid.  IIRC the Euro trucks have a slightly different steering linkage which gives reduced steering angle, although there is a Carson upgrade for this.  I don't think you need it on the US rigs.

Another thing to consider is what you might want to do to customise the body - some trucks have more off-the-shelf parts available.  I'm not sure about US stuff but in Euro style there are loads of scale details for Scania rigs and not quite so much for everything else.

Consider what light/sound/etc units you'll want (or not want).  The MFC-01 has everything in one clever box, it's pretty easy to set up and works well with a basic 4-channel analog-trim handset, but it does what it does and nothing more.  If you decide you don't like the sounds or the ESC throttle profile then you're stuck with it (it has that same annoying hard-throttle reverse as the TEU-101), unlike some more expensive programmable units like ServoNaut or Beier which can be expanded over time and have sounds loaded from library files or recorded by you.  If you want to fit full lights then best to do this during the initial build as there's a lot of strip-down to do to retrofit them.  Also I'd advise adding some spiral cable wrap as all those coloured wires are visible through the chassis rails and look a bit silly.

Backlash is right about the 27T being way too much - these trucks aren't designed for speed, walking pace is plenty, they'll topple if you go too fast and they're heavy enough to damage those lovely shells if they do.  I use a Carson Poison motor, cheap and reliable and plenty of torque.

Also think about trailers - if you want to run the truck then you'll want a trailer.  Tamiya's US-style trailers are well-priced and look the part, Herculese Hobby do Euro-style trailers if you go for a Euro rig.

Finally a note on building - these are a very involving build and will keep you occupied for some time, but make sure you've got facilities to paint small parts.  Many of the chassis parts will need painting before you install them, this held my build up for 5 months as I can't paint during winter.

Go for it :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Mad Ax said:

If you decide you don't like the sounds or the ESC throttle profile then you're stuck with it (it has that same annoying hard-throttle reverse as the TEU-101),

Technically there is no reason why you couldn't use a separate (external)  ESC connected to the throttle channel of the receiver with a Y servo lead to get a better throttle profile.. You could even use a brushless ESC and a 1000 to 1200 KV brushless motor if you wanted.. The only thing that you would have to do is to remove the red wire from the receiver plug on the external ESC, and then make or buy a Y lead so you can connect both the MFU and external ESC to your battery....

• Like 1

@Backlash that is actually a very neat idea.

Before I swapped my MFC-01 out for an MFC-03 I had wondered about using an external sound module (Beier, perhaps) to get a nicer engine sound but leaving all the lighting functionality handled by the MFC.  Then I realised other sounds like indicator and gearshift probably wouldn't match up with the MFC functionality and wasn't sure how much I'd be able to work around with programming.  I'd kind of decided it wasn't possible to mix-and-match like that but now you say it, it would be totally possible to use a separate ESC :)

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. Thats been really helpful, From all your advice I have decided have decided to get USA rig. :) i now have to decide which one. :)

I have decided on the King Hauler as it kind of reminds me of Maximum Over Drive and Smokey & the bandit days. I wasnt going to get a MFC but after the comments on easier to put one in whilst building I have decided I will save up a little longer to get that at the same time. This is going straight to the top of my most expensive rc's!

• Like 3

23 hours ago, AndyjcClod said:

I have decided on the King Hauler as it kind of reminds me of Maximum Over Drive and Smokey & the bandit days. I wasnt going to get a MFC but after the comments on easier to put one in whilst building I have decided I will save up a little longer to get that at the same time. This is going straight to the top of my most expensive rc's!

funny i thought that when i brought my grand hauler and mfu and the trailer plus all the hop-up's with it and the controller mind i did get it all from the lhs witch made dearer than of the net. but i would say my bruiser comes close to the truck bill also  

• Like 1

These trucks are addicting. Definitely get a sound unit as it makes it a lot of fun to run. The Tamiya MFC is the easiest to use and install. I’ve put them in my King Hauler and Globe liner but found it installs the easiest into the Knight Hauler 

• Like 3

Very addictive. 

Definitely want more.

Might be sneaking in a grand hauler for myself for xmas... got asked why I needed to buy my tanker trailer recently, said I always wanted it for my unfinished globeliner/kenworth. Got asked if I was going to sell the flatbed then, said "Errr no, was going to keep it as a spare..." 😕

"Is that incase you buy another truck, say for yourself for xmas???..." she said 😒

Either she's got ESP, she's on to me, or I am more transparent than an xray machine in a glasshouse 😂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

lol, it happens like that doesn't it?

I bought a HH container trailer last year (without container) to use as a donor for my low-loader race trailer.  Then I decided it was too good to chop up so I used a Bruder instead.

Then I decided, since I'd have to buy Tamiya parts to make the support legs, I might as well go motorised.

Then I decided I didn't want to buy a Tamiya trailer light kit because I wanted to be able to hitch and unhitch remotely, so I ordered a bluetooth light kit from China.

Then they had an issue with stock and it got held up for ages, but I wanted to finish my trailer, so I bought a second set from another retailer.

Then at the last minute I realised I didn't like the US truck sound in my MAN rig, so I bought a whole new MFC-03 kit

Which means I now have:

an MFC-01 complete with an unopened set of LEDs from the MFC-03

a spare bluetooth trailer light kit

a spare trailer

£120 from the wife towards "buying myself a Christmas present"

I think I detect a King Hauler coming my way quite soon ;)

• Like 2

I recall looking through the Tamiya catalogue many, many years ago when the 1/14 truck range consisted of just the King Hauler & Globe Liner - one day I thought, one day I will get one of those... 

Many years later, my first 1/14 truck purchase was the King Hauler...and thought I may as well get the Globe Liner to go with it & I'll need a couple of trailers...

The Tamiya catalogue by this time had several more 1/14 trucks in it so purchases of the Knight Hauler, Ford Aeromax, Volvo FH12, Mercedes 1838 & 1850L somehow 'occurred' along with a couple more trailers.  

Somehow the more recent releases - MAN TGX, Scanias, Cascadia & Grand Hauler have also wandered my way...

These things are very, very addictive...1 will never be enough.

You have been warned ! 

• Like 2

I might have just ordered a Grand Hauler kit after reading this thread...

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

The King Hauler is the granddaddy of them all and you’ll love the endless ways you can paint it up.  It’s a little tight to fit all of the MFC and speaker in but it does fit. Here is mine with a pole trailer that has Custom cut wood from a city crew clearing a storm damaged tree.  The sound unit had one worker fooled thinking it was real diesel truck. 

C5EFDE72-CC43-4BC1-A5F5-F0C5DFFC5B5E_zps

• Like 5

A couple of topless shot to see fitment of the MFC 

0B58D90C-A60C-47A1-87F5-2AC0B667BA92_zps

4670201D-3359-4D15-8ECA-30100E63E1F2_zps

A639BA73-7BAF-4D03-8F27-B6833D5A76D1_zps

• Like 4

On ‎19‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 3:14 AM, AndyjcClod said:

The King Hauler was my first truck build as well, so take your time and ask as many questions as you need to..

As for installing the MFU.. I installed the MFU in my King Hauler after the truck was built, and I don't know if I could say that it made the install all that more difficult..

The one thing that you need to do is to drill a 1/4 - 5/16 inch (6-8mm) hole in each side of the cross members in the in the truck so you can run the wires through them for the lights on the back of the truck..

Have a look at the Grand Hauler build on the Tamiya USA website and it will show you what you need to do to fit the MFU to the truck..
https://www.tamiyausa.com/articles/building-the-grand-hauler-717?article-id=717#.WhQ1qf7_rIU

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Backlash said:

Have a look at the Grand Hauler build on the Tamiya USA website and it will show you what you need to do to fit the MFU to the truck..
https://www.tamiyausa.com/articles/building-the-grand-hauler-717?article-id=717#.WhQ1qf7_rIU

This thread also gives you a clue on how you can install the speaker under the hood so you can have the MFU and the interior at the same time.  I'll be doing that on my build.

I've had to build a separate generator box on my MAN TGX to house the MFU.

• Like 1

On 21/11/2017 at 11:18 PM, Mad Ax said:

lol, it happens like that doesn't it?

Then at the last minute I realised I didn't like the US truck sound in my MAN rig, so I bought a whole new MFC-03 kit

Which means I now have:

an MFC-01 complete with an unopened set of LEDs from the MFC-03

I have the same, got my MAN with a 01 and it didnt sound right, so bought a 03 and swapped it over, now have a 01 left over with 03 lights etc, which will go in my grand hauler. My kenworth will get another Beier I think, as I want to try and record another sound for it, or maybe a 12v71 Jimmy if I can get a decent recording.... 😎

I went to my LHS yesterday,  my grand hauler is there, left it there as he wanted to show another potential customer.... I haven't even bought a motor for it yet anyway and it IS a xmas present... (to myself, with love, from me *ahem*) 😆

• Like 3

I still haven't ordered mine yet but am getting there!

After reading the advice I decided to wait until I could afford the MFC & controller at the same time as the truck. (I am sooo close) I am actually going to sell a few of my R\Cs so I have the money for a trailer as well. (I have sooo many or as my wife says "too many" Tamiya R\Cs that I never use, so I think its time a few have to go. Plus that gives me the wife get out of "nooo its all cool as I have got rid of 4 cars and replaced with one truck"  ;)

I have a plan now that my truck can transport my Tamiya 1/14th Pershing Tank (hoping I will be able to get a suitable trailer for that purpose).

• Like 1

On 07/12/2017 at 3:48 AM, AndyjcClod said:

I still haven't ordered mine yet but am getting there!

After reading the advice I decided to wait until I could afford the MFC & controller at the same time as the truck. (I am sooo close) I am actually going to sell a few of my R\Cs so I have the money for a trailer as well. (I have sooo many or as my wife says "too many" Tamiya R\Cs that I never use, so I think its time a few have to go. Plus that gives me the wife get out of "nooo its all cool as I have got rid of 4 cars and replaced with one truck"  ;)

I have a plan now that my truck can transport my Tamiya 1/14th Pershing Tank (hoping I will be able to get a suitable trailer for that purpose).

I stuck my Leopard on my flat bed just for a looksie, you could build some ramps and go that route if you wanted, would probably be the cheapest... or order an aftermarket low loader from rc4wd or the chinese ones off eBay, for $800+ usd...

VBHbRuv.jpg

• Like 4

9 hours ago, berman said:

I stuck my Leopard on my flat bed just for a looksie, you could build some ramps and go that route if you wanted, would probably be the cheapest... or order an aftermarket low loader from rc4wd or the chinese ones off eBay, for $800+ usd...

VBHbRuv.jpg

thats something turbo from outback truckers would do lol. prob by just backing up to a bank of dirt and then try and drive it on the trailer.

besides that it look great. 

• Like 1

Quite a few people have modified a Bruder Low loader trailer to make it work with the Tamiya Trucks.. You can also lengthen them to make them more functional and have a more prototypical length..

A tutorial on how to lengthen them..   http://www.acbruderspares.co.uk/how-to-extend-a-low-loader-part-1-1.html

Modified length (random pic from the net)
1bruder.jpg.0db2e4213366f8081295bd83e186bbb7.jpg

Unmodified length (random pic from the net)
s-l300.jpg.1ea11c066300ce843266c25868967aef.jpg

• Like 2

I was going to buy two and chop the centre section out of one and add it to the other.