gold682

Holiday Buggy - Any advice?

Hi,

I'm going to order the Holiday Buggy soon along with some bearings. Is there anything else I should be looking to order/do when building. It's going to be used as a fun/basher car whilst I restore some vintage Tamiya's. 

I've read about upgrading the motor to a 540 ,but what motor in particular? What about the  suspension? (not fussed about the holes in the body). Will it need any extra weight as I intend to use li-po 2s to run it, as I have a few of those. 

Also what are it weaknesses (ie. what breaks easy and what spares should I order?)

Cheers

Paul

Weakest part is the front shock tower.  Get an aftermarket brace for it, ideally.  Consider reinforcing the body where the roof posts at the front meet the bonnet section, that areas breaks easily.

Any oil shocks that fit will be way better than the kit items (undamped).  Tamiya CVAs are decent and pretty popular.  I've got TRF buggy aeration dampers on mine but that's probably not the ideal choice given that they cost as much as the whole car, do work very well though.  Depending on what ESCs you may have, I would suggest a fun bashing combo on this car would be a cheap 13.5 sensored brushless motor on the TBLE02S ESC.  If you have any of the kit Tamiya brushed ESCs then your choice is limited basically to Torque Tuned or Sport Tuned (or equivalent) as anything faster will overheat the speed control, unless you get lucky.  For bashing, fast brushed motors no longer make economic sense and take up a lot more maintenance.

Hi get a robinson racing or other brand steel pinion gear for it, and the tamiya CVA shocks i found work great much better than those cheaper aluminum ones you see on E-bay.
For a motor I would just buy a cheap RC4WD 20 turn crawler motor for it.