Sign in to follow this  
ThunderDragonCy

Thunder Dragon/Shot 10 deg c hubs

Thunder Dragon/shot 10deg caster c hubs from Shapeways

Read about the 4wd race cars having caster blocks. Then I found an article on Jamie Booth's Manta Ray which had custom caster adding c hubs to stop it being "twitch city". Got me curious so I modelled up some 10 deg caster c hubs to fit my Thunder Dragon. They arrived today and look great. More when I get them fitted and what difference they make to the handling. 

Got the latest iteration on the buggy now. The original was designed around thunder dragon uprights but they fouled the suspension with the 10 deg caster added. I installed some DF03 uprights i had lying around and thry worked great. The allowed much more steering angle but are much narrower than the thunder dragon uprights so needed spacing out. Another problem was that the 3d printed plastic is quite rough and there was a lot of drag on the steering as a result. 

As i was getting some other parts 3d printed a designed version 2 of the c hubs. Still 10 deg caster, but now designed to have 850 size bronze bushings or bearings pressed into the inside faces to give a nice smooth hole and surface for the uprights to move. They are also shorter and dedicated fit on the DF03 uprights. I used bronze bushings and added some lightweight kingpins for niceness. Works really nicely now

20180217_11555120180217_115558

Nice work! I was thinking of doing the same on my TA01 Long Arm C-hubs as I don't like the kingpins are just hold in by the plastic. 

• Thanks 1