Granddad Stinky

Re-Re Optima Wing

Having seen a couple on YouTube, I fancy putting a rear spoiler/wing on mine. Are there any good (cheap) ways of doing it?

That’s not bad, I was considering a Javelin set-up, but that’s a bit pricey. I want the protection factor as well, i’ll be racing it next year.

8 minutes ago, Backlash said:

I think that you could make a setup like the one in the link by using an Associated RC10 wing, and you could use an aluminium crawler linkage (eg off an Axial SCX10) to make the risers off the chassis to slide the wing wires into..

Thanks. I’ll have a look at that, I like making stuff myself.

2 hours ago, Granddad Stinky said:

It looks a bit flimsy, is it Tamiya thickness? (I have string)

I'll measure the one on my mid.

String will be fine......🙄

Cant see why not but you would have to cut a couple of slots in the back all the way to end so you can get the shell off without detaching the wing as its screwed to the gearbox.

I did something similar to a Tomohawk shell and fitted the Scorpion wingstay / Javelin wing but cut the whole back louvered setion off the shell.

8 hours ago, kyoshofan223 said:

I am not really a fan of that wing style either, but like the mounting system. Anyone try to just use a Javelin wing/stay combo on the Turbo Optima?

I did not, but I can say that on the Turbo Optima body, there is the indication to be able to cut holes for the wing stay. And the wing itself is mounted in order to be removable to allow the body to be unmounted...

I just came across this one.. it's actually listed in the option parts for the Turbo Optima (though designed for the Scorpion I suppose). It looks like it'd be fastened directly to the body with a couple of screws. I think... Anyone tried this one? I haven't gotten my Turbo out to the local track yet, but I can't shake the memory of the huge difference it made when i showed up to our old home-built track with my old Ultima Pro (back in high school) without the wing. I left it home one day & the difference in how it took the jumps was night & day. It's already going to be much slower than the other buggies... don't need to add to my humiliation by spending more time on its roof :P

1 hour ago, kyoshofan223 said:

I just came across this one.. it's actually listed in the option parts for the Turbo Optima (though designed for the Scorpion I suppose). It looks like it'd be fastened directly to the body with a couple of screws. I think... Anyone tried this one? I haven't gotten my Turbo out to the local track yet, but I can't shake the memory of the huge difference it made when i showed up to our old home-built track with my old Ultima Pro (back in high school) without the wing. I left it home one day & the difference in how it took the jumps was night & day. It's already going to be much slower than the other buggies... don't need to add to my humiliation by spending more time on its roof :P

well, you may do that, but I believe the body would be damaged easily in case of roll over. 

As said Javelin Wing + Javelin Wing Mount goes on the chassis easily, and the wing itself is designed to be fixed with clips, so easy to remove. And the Turbo Optima body have the marks for the wing mount cut. And it won't damage the body in case of roll over...

• Like 1

On 11/21/2021 at 2:56 PM, silvertriple said:

well, you may do that, but I believe the body would be damaged easily in case of roll over. 

As said Javelin Wing + Javelin Wing Mount goes on the chassis easily, and the wing itself is designed to be fixed with clips, so easy to remove. And the Turbo Optima body have the marks for the wing mount cut. And it won't damage the body in case of roll over...

It's really just the idea of doing much more cutting on any of my finished bodies that scares me the most, but it's inevitable on the Salute body anyway to clear the shock towers. I've done a bit more searching and it looks like the best option is actually the OT-65 wing stay set originally intended for the Kyosho Salute. The only wrinkle being that it seems like one of those parts that may turn up on the other side of the world every few years. This version for the Mid-series, most similar to the Javelin setup I think, is the way I think I'd like to go. It's certainly far more available. I don't have my car nearby at the moment, but there's gotta be a way to mount this someplace without a giant headache, no? If I can't figure it out, I'll probably resort to fastening it to the actual body. I'm not babying it completely, but I'm also not planning on abusing it so I don't think I need to worry much about it coming apart in a crash much (famous last words lol) if I had to go that way.

So I decided to go with the Javelin setup...It required disassembling more of the car than I expected, so the Javelin wing stay is ... here to stay :P, but for some reason I forgot about this part. I'm going to hold my breath & do my best not to destroy my existing bodies that weren't originally trimmed to accommodate it. The chances of it looking terrible when I'm done are very very good, so I'm already planning on buying at least one new body.

Before I do, anyone know if the shell for the Optima Mid or Turbo Mid SE would be a more natural fit, accommodating the wing/stay without butchering the rear end?

1 hour ago, kyoshofan223 said:

So I decided to go with the Javelin setup...It required disassembling more of the car than I expected, so the Javelin wing stay is ... here to stay :P, but for some reason I forgot about this part. I'm going to hold my breath & do my best not to destroy my existing bodies that weren't originally trimmed to accommodate it. The chances of it looking terrible when I'm done are very very good, so I'm already planning on buying at least one new body.

Before I do, anyone know if the shell for the Optima Mid or Turbo Mid SE would be a more natural fit, accommodating the wing/stay without butchering the rear end?

Normally, the wing is screwed on that part, and the part you show is maintained with body clips... You may remove it easily, and the cutouts required in the body are less than what you think...

On 2/21/2022 at 12:33 PM, silvertriple said:

Normally, the wing is screwed on that part, and the part you show is maintained with body clips... You may remove it easily, and the cutouts required in the body are less than what you think...

The wing stay is screwed into the gearbox; the body clips are just connected to that little platform at the top. It's big enough area to chop off that I can make a mess of the body in the process no matter how much I try to Dremel-away my shame. I can't hang a picture straight! I'm going to try to get help with that, but right now I'm mostly interested in figuring out if the Mid-style body will work out better for the next one.

22 minutes ago, kyoshofan223 said:

The wing stay is screwed into the gearbox; the body clips are just connected to that little platform at the top. It's big enough area to chop off that I can make a mess of the body in the process no matter how much I try to Dremel-away my shame. I can't hang a picture straight! I'm going to try to get help with that, but right now I'm mostly interested in figuring out if the Mid-style body will work out better for the next one.

There is cut out marks on the body shell of the Turbo Optima.... It's definitely easier to do before the paint...

How funny is this. I had a discussion about wing mounts today and my mate mentioned the Optima style mounts. I am just curios how flexible they are?
Wire wing mounts, even if the wire is really stiff, get bent so easy once you flip the car. Now my opinion is, this very rigide Optima mounts have not enough flex in case of a crash.
But Kyoshi shure was nit stupid when they made this design.

Any of you have some experience regarding this discussion?

2 hours ago, Collin said:

How funny is this. I had a discussion about wing mounts today and my mate mentioned the Optima style mounts. I am just curios how flexible they are?
Wire wing mounts, even if the wire is really stiff, get bent so easy once you flip the car. Now my opinion is, this very rigide Optima mounts have not enough flex in case of a crash.

They are flexible, and resitant... both the wing and teh mount are nylon.... very resistant...

3 hours ago, Collin said:

Once I glue my new knobbies & hit the track, I'll definitely be in a position to report on this... though I do expect to spend a lot less time on my lid with the new wing installed. It handled like a champ last time, but my only complaint was that it was difficult to control over the jumps & I am confident the wing will make a bit difference. I'll report back.