tecnica2001

Blackfoot/Beetle 4 link build

Here's the start of a long project, I've always been a fan of the Scorcher Beetle body and off course the Blackfoot body, but didn't really want to buy another ORV chassis just to get the body, or separate my Monster Beetle from its body.....so I decide to build a rig for a yet to be purchased Blackfoot body.

i wanted to do something different, since I already have a spare Lunchbox transmission, which I deviced a 4 link suspension for...I wante to go 4 link suspension in the front too...

The front end is made up of a Fox upright, attached to a square aluminum plate, using Traxxas tie rid ends, the cross members are made out off m3 threaded rod and aluminum tubing....

image.jpg

Mounted a servo, but just a mock up...

Added the four links, I'm using M3 threaded rod and Traxxas m3 rod ends.... 

Since this is a recycling rc bin parts car, I had to improvise....

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Going in a new direction with the front end, TLT-1 axle housing, without the internals, just the housing.....

image.jpg

Here's a bit of an update, with this wheel and tire combo, the front track is up to 8.5 and the rear is almost 8.8", I was hoping to stay within the 6.7" width....

i might just make this into a Blackfoot bodied Bigfoot truck....

image.jpg

• Thanks 1

To get to the width that makes me happy, I had to cut down the tilt-1 axle housing, and finagle, a new front axle, thankfully all the holes lined up with the aluminum plates that I had from Lowe's....

Now it's 197mm front track, with those 1.9 wheels on, it might narrow up further with smaller wheels and narrower tires, my goal is to ge this to fit under a Blackfoot body....

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Really interesting project. 

There is a wonderful 4-link Blackfoot on a CR01 chassis somewhere here on TC which I always thought looked amazing. 

Looking forward to seeing where you go with this.

A bit of progress:

I flipped the lunchbox tranny around and 4 linked it to the chassis, just to get an idea if I need a different frame and shocks....it looks like I'm going to need shorter shocks, maybe 70mm, and a set of 1.55 wheels are on the way...

image.jpg

With the Blackfoot body on, i need to start working on linking the front end, will definitely have to shorten the rear links to make room for the fronts, as it sits now, my front links would be too short to have any significant articulation....

image.jpg