ALEXKYRIAK

JIS Screwdrivers

Hi all, can anyone recommend a decent set of JIS screwdrivers? Am having difficulty understanding where I can get these from in a decent delivery time, and what the correct sizes are for an RC car that require JIS tools to complete the build. Any intel you guys can share here? Much appreciated if so. :)

What about tamiya tool set 74085? I have used this set for 2 years and no stripped screws. I would assume they are JIS?

IMG_0697.JPG

• Like 3

Thanks a lot mate, that’s perfect. Not sure why google didn’t show me these from the off the first few times I searched this type of tool, but I’ll look into this set, looks like it does what I need, thank you. 

Someone else here recommended this screwdriver and I got it based on their recommendation. It fits the screws perfectly, an has a very nice handle that's comfortable in the hand as well. It's now my most used screwdriver when building cars.

https://www.tamiyausa.com/items/tools-accessories-80/tools-74000/screwdriver-philips-2-lrg-74006

Tamiya toolset is a bit expensive.  So I have what Kingfisher has (in #1 size).  For #2 size, a Vessel JIS.  Vessel is a Japanese brand. It says "Made in Japan."  The grip section has a hard rubber texture.  It's less slippery than Tamiya when your finger has grease on it.  And the textured neck is useful if want to use the other hand to spin it faster when the screw is loose-fitting.  Jaws-fit seems to work well without damaging soft aluminum screws.  Vessel is a very well made screwdriver.  

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vessel-Megadora-2x100-Cross-Screwdriver/dp/B000TG8OTY/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1512003805&sr=8-5&keywords=vessel+screwdriver

Both fit Tamiya screws so well, I am kicking myself for not getting the JIS drivers 17 years ago.  Then again, I only heard of Japanese Industrial Standard drivers from PintoPowered's AMPro youtube clips several months ago (Thank you, Mr. Pinto).   

• Like 1

Best JIS screwdriver for the garage i've found is the Vessel 980 Impacta. Brilliant design and only $11

A while back Nitomor posted a link for Vessel screwdriver bits in the UK.

I think it was for this place.

http://www.onlyqualitytools.com/catalog/Vessel/Insert_Bits.html

Unfortunately, every time I remember to take a look the PH2 bits are out of stock.

The Megadora listed by @magnumb comes in quite reasonable (assuming I have the correct driver)

http://www.onlyqualitytools.com/catalog/Vessel/900_Series_MEGADORA_Screwdrivers.html

Yup 'onlyqualitytools' Vessel bits are great

Their PH1 and PH2 tips are best for Tamiya heads - I'll try and sort the pics in the thread below

Awesome, thanks to all of you for the responses above, now I can proceed to purchase what I need for the JIS screws.

Thanks for link to the other thread, twinset, clearly my forum searching skills leave a lot to be desired. 

I can’t believe I’ve only just found this out! And after owning and working on many Jap cars 😳. Something else for my Christmas list. Does anyone make a set of bits this would be easier than a full set of screwdrivers. 

• Like 1

I wish you could find JIS heads only, I have nice arrowmax drivers with replaceable PHILLIPS heads but noone seems to make JIS ones. 

1 hour ago, Ann3x said:

I wish you could find JIS heads only, I have nice arrowmax drivers with replaceable PHILLIPS heads but noone seems to make JIS ones. 

Try the link posted earlier - PH1 and PH2 are best fit

Vessel Statement on JIS Compatibility:
The Phillips tip of VESSEL screwdrivers is designed with less tolerance than the JIS or ISO standards. Therefore, the VESSEL tip standard is within both the JIS and ISO standards. i.e. it complies with the JIS standard as well as the ISO standard.

12 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

A while back Nitomor posted a link for Vessel screwdriver bits in the UK.

I think it was for this place.

http://www.onlyqualitytools.com/catalog/Vessel/Insert_Bits.html

1 hour ago, TWINSET said:

Try the link posted earlier - PH1 and PH2 are best fit

Vessel Statement on JIS Compatibility:
The Phillips tip of VESSEL screwdrivers is designed with less tolerance than the JIS or ISO standards. Therefore, the VESSEL tip standard is within both the JIS and ISO standards. i.e. it complies with the JIS standard as well as the ISO standard.

No i mean like these: https://www.modelsport.co.uk/arrowmax-phillips-screwdriver-3-5-x-120mm-tip-only-v2/rc-car-products/421550

Another vote here for tamiya tool set 74085. Had mine a couple of weeks and so much easier with this set. This is a buy once and forget purchase. Got mine from Time Tunnel Models.

13 minutes ago, gold682 said:

Another vote here for tamiya tool set 74085. Had mine a couple of weeks and so much easier with this set. This is a buy once and forget purchase. Got mine from Time Tunnel Models.

Yep this too, had mine 2 years now and many hours use still as good as new, plus it's Tamiya ;)

6 hours ago, lentner3 said:

I can’t believe I’ve only just found this out! And after owning and working on many Jap cars 😳. Something else for my Christmas list. Does anyone make a set of bits this would be easier than a full set of screwdrivers. 

My old man (rip) used to be a mechanic then service manager for Mitsubishi (Newmarket NZ). I stole plently of those reversible flat/philips screwdrivers out of his home toolbox that were out of the toolkits of 80's Mitsi's to work on my boomerang/clod/king cab etc at ths time. I always wondered why they fitted so well until I joined tamiyaclub and learned about JIS screwdrivers.

Now I have a Tamiya #1, #2 and wouldn't use anything else...

Unlesss I found another Mitsi screwdriver 😎

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Jason1145 said:

Yep this too, had mine 2 years now and many hours use still as good as new, plus it's Tamiya ;)

That’s the set I have though It is quite heavy to lug from home to the office.

There’s also set 74023 builders set you can pick up for under £20.

So maybe I should have bought Tamiya 74085 as that has the hex drivers I needed as well as the jis...I guess this ia going on the list now too. I have a spreadsheet of things I need as I invariably miss things off an order

On 29/11/2017 at 11:09 PM, Rb4276 said:

What about tamiya tool set 74085? I have used this set for 2 years and no stripped screws. I would assume they are JIS?

IMG_0697.JPG

Thanks, got one of these in the post, for those ‘special’ precision Japanese screws. Will let you know how I get on with them on the next build. 

• Like 2

Glad to hear, ive had no issues with the set. Only time i stripped a screw was on my re re optima. I wish i knew ahead of time  that they are cheese. i would of bought  a steel set for my optima prior. Tamiya also has a red tool set very similar

Perfect, thanks, that’s what I need.  They’re out of stock on the PH2 however.... grumble! 

Went to this website before but I guess I didn’t scroll down to see these.

Thanks. 

• Like 1

All the Vessel tips on that page are marked "*This product is available until stocks are exhausted" which usually means they're not going to re-stock them :(

I've emailed Vessel Europe (in France) for a price on a selection of PH2 bits, but they only sell in packs of 10   https://www.vessel-europe.com/products/bits/