ALEXKYRIAK

JIS Screwdrivers

16 minutes ago, TWINSET said:

All the Vessel tips on that page are marked "*This product is available until stocks are exhausted" which usually means they're not going to re-stock them :(

I've emailed Vessel Europe (in France) for a price on a selection of PH2 bits, but they only sell in packs of 10   https://www.vessel-europe.com/products/bits/

Am I right in thinking that this set contains the elusive PH2?

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vessel-B33-4-Screwdriver-Bit-Set-Phillips-1-4-4-Piece/152617674951?epid=26004951935&hash=item2388b8e8c7:g:B6QAAOSwoZ5Z0jHm

...and is from the same UK stockist?

Just spoke with the UK distributor for Vessel - https://www.dateelectronicsupplies.co.uk/

They sell to the public and this link should get you to the Vessel page; https://www.dateelectronicsupplies.co.uk/bits/browse/6

After that, on the left of the page, select Philips/JIS for tip type, PH2 for size and then whatever drive end you need - Hexagonal 6.35mm or Insert 6.35mm is suitable for most bitdrivers/ratchet handles but the 'halfmoon' might be handy for aluminium handles - They have a 4mm diameter shaft

They don't hold all the bits in stock all the time, so it would be advisable to call them first if you're in a hurry to get a particular tip.
When calling, quote the EDP number to identify the bit.

bits.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Twinset :) - have just put in an order for a set of driver bits, to back up the hand held Tamiya 74085 set that's en route. 

They look almost identical to the Tamiya ones (minus the tamiya logo). I bought a couple of tamiya branded JIS screwdrivers a few months ago and right away I could feel a difference when backing out and putting in tamiya screws. They don't have the same sloppy feeling that you get using Phillips drivers but because they don't have a pointed tip like a Philips they don't "cam out" when you put a lot of torque through the driver meaning it's possible to over tighten the screw and strip the plastic. 

On the whole I'd say they're worth it to avoid damage to the screw heads and they just feel nice to use but be careful not to over tighten the screws. 

An added bonus is if you own a Japanese car you can use them when you're working on it since full sized Japanese cars also use JIS screws. 

I ordered these using Amazon.  Total came to $16.51 w/free shipping.  6 week wait coming from Japan.

Vessel Megadora 900 +2x100 JIS Cross Point Screwdriver

Vessel 900 Megadora +1x75 (JIS) +1 Screwdriver 900-1-75

• Like 1

Be careful with the Tamiya sets; they go rusty very quickly. I went for a bash with @Granddad Stinky Saturday before last, spent about forty minutes in damp to drizzly conditions then packed it in, two hours later my tools had surface rust spotted all over the black treated drivers (not the chromed sockets, though).

Also, be aware that the red handle set IS different from the blue handle set: (red) 3 JIS, 2 flat, 2 socket, 1 hex as opposed to (blue) 2 JIS, 1 flat, 2 socket, 3 hex.

• Like 1

Anyway, why you all getting fussed about JIS drivers to fit Tamiya screws?

Just change them all to stainless steel socket heads... 😈😈😈

• Like 1

5 hours ago, martinjpayne said:

Anyway, why you all getting fussed about JIS drivers to fit Tamiya screws?

Just change them all to stainless steel socket heads... 😈😈😈

Mmmmm, low head socket head cap screws. 😍😍

cbNzo6L.jpg

• Like 2

Only one choice for me guys

snap on tools all the way,

expensive but worth the money in my opinion.