rjgibb1977

Reviving my vintage Monster Beetle

Hi, I'm a noob so please bear with me. If I have posted in the wrong forum, please let me know...

I have recently dug out my vintage, slightly-battered Monster Beetle (58060). It probably hasn't been driven for over 25 years! However, having been stored (assembled) in a bone dry loft, it is in pretty good shape. Spec is mostly stock but with an original RX-540VZ Technigold. The RC is all original Futaba, FP-R102GR/ FP-T2NCR.

It runs almost perfectly but there does seem to be an issue with it sometimes having a life of its own, continuing to drive without input or not responding to any input. This is an intermittent issue, rather than something that happens all the time, and occurs while the car is in range. Steering inputs seem to be fine.

I was pretty young when I first had the car and my memory on how it all works is a bit sketchy, so any pointers as to what the problem might be or how I could fix it would be appreciated. Is it likely to be the motor, the receiver or the controllers/servos?

If I needed to buy a replacement RC system, would current systems slot in without modification or are things not compatible any more?

Like I said, I'm pretty clueless so would certainly appreciate input of those more experienced.

Many thanks

R

Is the issue only with driving, or steering as well?

If it's just with the motivational force, it could be an ESC (speed controller) going bad. If steering tends to have a life of it's own, look towards a receiver and/or radio.

• Thanks 1

First thing...  Find and DL the manual.  This should be easy since Tamiya has re-released the Monster Beetle recently.  

Terry

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Frog Jumper said:

First thing...  Find and DL the manual.  This should be easy since Tamiya has re-released the Monster Beetle recently.  

Terry

Thankfully I still have the old manual, so I should be ok to deconstruct it if I need to.

Appreciate the MB was re-released but figured it might have some changes from the original....

Steering is fine so I will look at the ESC. I suppose my question there would be if I can simply buy a new ESC and whether that will work with my old RC set-up without any modification.

Thanks all

The model you have will have a 3 speed mechanical speed controller. It should work ok as long as the servo is doing what it should. They are pretty pants and a big mod back in the day was an ESP but was very expensive. Now they are not expensive -so its an easy way to sort it out.

First photo is a BEC 2 speed Mechanical speed controller (Battery Eliminator Circuit) so it takes power from the main battery to the receiver so you don't need a separate battery pack. Earlier models would have needed a battery pack as well.

2nd Photo is a ESP (Electronic Spreed Controller), basic model for a brushed motor (as the one you have is)

If its the radio gear which sounds likely try these, just ordered a set for my lads new car.

RC gear 2.4g

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/absima-cr2s-v2-2-channel-2-4ghz-radio-control-system/rc-car-products/376271

Servo

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/alturn-usa-standard-deluxe-ball-bearing-waterproof-servo/rc-car-products/371888 

links given to me by another forum member. As he said you can get a little cheaper BUT they are not reliable and the the servo is waterproof. You don't need a 2nd servo as the ESP does both functions and plugs directly into the receiver.

Hope you get it sorted and enjoy getting back into the hobby.

spdcont400.jpg

ltamc5055.jpg

• Thanks 1

Thanks so much @Baddon, that's really helpful.

I'm slowly (re-)learning all this stuff so please continue to bear with me. I just have a few questions that follow from your response (serves you right for being so helpful! :lol:):

• If I replace the mechanical ESC with the new style, do you know if this will mount on the frame properly? It looks like it will sit too high for the original dust cover so I guess I would have to buy the re-release dust cover.
  • I guess the new ESCs don't need the separate resister (or its accompanying mount)? 
  • Is it more likely that the problem would be with the RC gear though? I'd rather not replace that if I don't have to (assume that means a new receiver, new servo and new transmitter...)

I suppose it's also possible that the issue could be with the battery as it's ancient and may not be charging or distributing power consistently.

It appears that what I need to do is replace the ESC and get a new battery and see if that fixes the problem. If not it's the RC gear....

FInally, can you recommend an appropriate ESC? I saw this and thought it might work. 

Thanks again everyone, appreciate your input

R

That TBLE02S will run your brushed kit motor now problem and gives you the option of pretty powerful brushless motors if you want to upgrade. I have 4 of those ESC with down to 13.5t brushless and they are great.

• Thanks 1

If you have an old MSC ( manual speed controller ) , like the one in the first pic, then replacing it with an ESC like in the second pic (or simialr ) will eliminate the complete resistor set up and the speed control servo ( the servo could be a source of your glitch problem if it is faulty ) . The ESC can be fitted in a convenient place , not neccessarily in the same place as the old MSC , just positioned so the wires all reach where they should comfortably . Check that ALL the batteries are good and strong in the Transmitter too and no breaks in the Receiver wire .

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, rjgibb1977 said:

Thanks so much @Baddon, that's really helpful.

I'm slowly (re-)learning all this stuff so please continue to bear with me. I just have a few questions that follow from your response (serves you right for being so helpful! :lol:):

• If I replace the mechanical ESC with the new style, do you know if this will mount on the frame properly? It looks like it will sit too high for the original dust cover so I guess I would have to buy the re-release dust cover.

The Re-Re mounts the ESC on the side of the steering servo, not in the usually position (on top on the MSC plate).  The MSC plate has been replaced with two rods that span the gap.  Don't get a Re-Re dust cover thinking that will solve your issue (of placing the ESC on the MSC plate), the Re-Re cover is exactly the same as the Original.

Terry

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Frog Jumper said:

The Re-Re mounts the ESC on the side of the steering servo, not in the usually position (on top on the MSC plate).  The MSC plate has been replaced with two rods that span the gap.  Don't get a Re-Re dust cover thinking that will solve your issue (of placing the ESC on the MSC plate), the Re-Re cover is exactly the same as the Original.

Terry

Good knowledge, thanks for the tip. I've got a feeling it'll be a bit of a zip tie effort... 

On my vintage Blackfoot, I mounted the ESC to one of the flat sections where the receiver used to go, then I mounted the (micro) receiver on the old MSC plate.

• Thanks 1

lol, looks like you have your answers already. The ESP you found is a good bet as mentioned its for Brushed (motor like you have) and also brushless (your next potential upgrade.

As you wont need the servo to operate the current speed controller you will have more room to play with.

• Thanks 1