Sign in to follow this  
Shodog

A midnight pumpkin is born *56K warning*

Addict, thanks for the offer. I really enjoy doing it myself though.

The orange color is going to be tough to do evenly. I am going to give it a shot. At worst I can always strip the body and start over

I was able to round the corners of the cut out with my dremel and a steady hand.

Addict, I'm on your program 100%. I have all my hard bodies sprayed by a pro-shop. Have had for maybe the last five years or so. I"ve never been a "real good" painter anyhow,so for me as I own a share in a body shop, it was a no brainer. I understand Sho's desire to do the job himself, and he certainly can step up and do a very lovely job. I on the other hand-don't have that gift. So for me to have the very nicest paint jobs, I need someone else to do it.Simple as that.[8D]

No problem sho, Seeing your other models, err..peices of art... I am sure that the rod will come out sweet! Just thought I would offer anyways, you never know till ya ask right? Anyways i will be checking back often to see any updates good luck,and of course have fun [:D]

I sprayed the body with 4 coats of Tamiya silver leaf. Here it is ready for the color coat.

1106940506_1_23_05_008.jpg

I got home from work and I was anxious to paint it up. I got the airbrush all ready and practiced on the monster beetle body. When I went to spray came out pretty good. It came out really nice on the tail gate.

1106940552_1_23_05_014.jpg

When I started to shoot the side the paint came out splotchy.

1106940725_1_23_05_010.jpg

I figured no problem I would let it dry then spray over it again. The front was coming a long when my airbrush shot a big goober of paint onto the hood. I tried to remove it with a cotton swab dipped in rubbing alcohol. That’s when I mess up the hood.

1106940632_1_23_05_011.jpg

I stripped all the orange paint back off with rubbing alcohol. It did not take any of the silver off. So it was just like starting over. But I still buffed the paint out with steel wool and shot a final coat of silver. I went to the hobby shop to see if they sold a translucent color in a spray. The only ones they had were a red, blue yellow made by testors. I am not a big fan of the brand of paint. Since I liked DJTheos lime green sand rover, I picked up a can of that. So here it is.

1106940839_1_28_05_016.jpg

No Jim,

You have to do it in orange, it looked so sweet!!!

James.

looks sweet sho!! I think since people are split between the orange and the green you should try somesort of two tone...j/k [:P] Actually i do like both of the colors but I think the green stands out more. Nice job by the way!!! cant wait to see it sittn atop a chassi.

Fantastic paint job!

On the subject, can anyone recommend a decent book for those who wish to learn to spray paint stuff using an airbrush?

Thanks,

Rick

nice color that green! lol, we should do a "group" shot with my

pimp blackfoot, there almost related [;)]

Would really like to see the end result from the car

Tonight I was able to put in the strips of wood on the bed. I bought a really thin sheet of wood. I cut it into 5mm strips and then glued them in the bed with CA glue. Tomorrow I should be able to start shooting the clear coats.

1107144799_1_30_05_016.jpg

love the wood trim!! very nice touch!! So being too lazy to scroll through the whole thread. what chassis are you going to be using,or have you decided yet?

Jim, glad that my SR inspired your color choice [:)], shame on the previous paintjob, was a great tone, do you know that Tamiya recently released clear TS paints?

Cheers

Today I was able to lay some clear coats on. This picture is after 3 coats.

1107204599_1_31_05_004.jpg

I love the way this paint looks in the sun. I went thin enough so that the silver would shine through. at any angle you can see the silver which gives the paint almost an electric effect.

So far I have sprayed 7 coats of clear on it. I still got a lot left in the can so I will paint in some details tonight then clear over them tomorrow on my lunch.

That looks outstanding! Was unsure if the green would work as well as the orange but this looks stunning!

Very sweet in green and the bed is outstanding!!!! Can't wait to see that blower whirring away and the truck all done. Now let me see... you are the "king" of aftermarket,hard to find,oh so cool wheels! I'm wondering whats going to be mounted up and installed here????

quote:Originally posted by Mervyn

Now let me see... you are the "king" of aftermarket,hard to find,oh so cool wheels! I'm wondering whats going to be mounted up and installed here????

id="quote">id="quote">

I have two sets of these wheels

img34_411200395657_4.jpg

I thought about taking them apart and painting the centers the same lime green and then polishing the outers to a high shine. It's a lot of work so i am going to try them out the way they currently look first. what do you guys think, paint the centers or leave them as is?

Oh big suprise....lololol. Another very cool wheel set awaiting there destination. Why not do up just one wheel,see how it turns out before the "big" commitment? I think the green would be the icing on the cake, it would also set them apart from the average guys wheels. Perhaps this thread should be retitled....sho "n" go? Your the man Jim.

Or how about polishing the whole rim and paint the screw heads and the axle nut? Im not sure about painting over a nice alum. rim. Just my opinion!! [:D]

quote:Originally posted by Mervyn

Oh big suprise....lololol. Another very cool wheel set awaiting there destination. Why not do up just one wheel,see how it turns out before the "big" commitment? I think the green would be the icing on the cake, it would also set them apart from the average guys wheels. Perhaps this thread should be retitled....sho "n" go? Your the man Jim.

id="quote">id="quote">

They would be sweet looking but your right it is a big commitment. The wheel centers are anodized so if I didn’t like the paint, I could strip it off with paint thinner and not damage the anodized finish.

quote:Originally posted by addict again

Or how about polishing the whole rim and paint the screw heads and the axle nut? Im not sure about painting over a nice alum. rim. Just my opinion!! [:D]

id="quote">id="quote">

Polishing would look killer as it would match all the chrome. I will try one before I decide whether to paint them.

Tonight I was fortunate enough to get some time to work on the pumpkin. I painted in the details of the grill with flat black. I also installed the motor mount under the hood with double sided tape. I just had to set everything together to see how it will turn out. This is pretty close to how it will look in the end.

1107238277_1_31_05_015.jpg

Here you can see how the wood turned out in the bed.

1107238321_1_31_05_018.jpg

The flash on this picture highlights how the silver stands out in bright light.

1107238372_1_31_05_013c.jpg

Although I wasn’t satisfied with the overall smoothness on the surface of the hood so I wet sanded it down with 600 grit paper. I will spray a few more coats of clear on it tomorrow. This will give it the smooth high shine look iam after

1107238431_1_31_05_022.jpg

I agree with others that it needs more than just one color. At a local flea market there are all kinds of artists out there that do some awesome pin striping and airbrushing so I was thinking of taking it out there to see what they could do for me. any suggestions?

quote:Originally posted by Shodog

I agree with others that it needs more than just one color. At a local flea market there are all kinds of artists out there that do some awesome pin striping and airbrushing so I was thinking of taking it out there to see what they could do for me. any suggestions?

id="quote">id="quote">

Surely with that colour,body and overall look it has to be flames!

quote:Originally posted by smallman28
quote:Originally posted by Shodog

id="quote">id="quote">

Surely with that colour,body and overall look it has to be flames!

id="quote">id="quote">

I was thinking snakes down the sides.

- James

I'm with smallman on this as I'm a huge lover of flames. Flames would be certainly the way to go especially with green as a base color. Could even do green "ghost' flames,or yellow or red or ???