mattie_uk

New to on-road, not sure which chassis to try

Hi all

I've had a few buggies and trucks over the years and would like to try a road car, but I'm a bit lost amongst options in terms of the various chassis available.

I'm after a budget-end chassis that could be used on an average car park and would be robust enough to withstand a few false steps into kerbs etc, although it doesn't need to be the speediest car and I'm not too fussed by availability of hop-parts..

I've seen a few models based on the TT02 (I like the Lancia Delta) and the M05 (although none that I really like), however the missus noticed the vintage beetle on the M06 chassis going for a good price - I'd be a bit worried about knocking lumps off the beetle body, but she's already reasonably sold on the idea!  She also likes the FIAT 500, based on the M03M chassis.  That's 4 separate chassis so far, and I know there's a few more out there!

Any insights on the respective benefits of one chassis over another for a casual hacker for use in car parks would be much appreciated.  I'd prefer to avoid drift chassis and I'm not fussed over FWD, RWD or 4WD.

Cheers

The main choice for you then is the actual size of the RC, the M03 and M05 are both M Chassis (1/12) whilst the bigger Tt02 will be 1/10.

Grab a ruler and measure out the two chassis lengths in front of you, this gives you an rough idea and it might not seem a lot but at over 100ft away I rarely lose a 1/10's direction of travel compared to a 1/12 ;)

1/12 is very cute but often gets lost at distance away from you, then the 1/10 would be a better bet.

For close quarters driving a M chassis looks great, more scale looking imo.

I love that classic Beetle M06 look too, it's on my list one day ;)

If you chose TT02, I wouldn't entirely rule out the TT02D drift chassis. With TT02D, you may be able to get a few things you wouldn't get in a base TT02 kit like sport tuned motor, bearings, and oil shocks. If you change the wheels to rubber tires, it's no longer a drift chassis.

• Like 1

AFAIK both the TT and M-chassis cars are considered 1/10 scale, however they are 1/10 scale depictions of different sizes of fullsize car. The M-cars are small in reality, whereas the TTs are larger, thus so are the RC chassis.

I don't own a TT, but I have borrowed one of my mate's ones a few times, and found it a very easy car to drive, well-balanced with no significant oversteer or understeer. It stood up to my rather inexpert driving with no issues, so it ought to be fine for bashing around a carpark.

The M-03M is also a great little chassis - I do own one of them. It is more lively than a TT, but a lot more forgiving than the RWD M-04 which is a right challenge to control at any sort of speed, unless you have Hamilton-esque reflexes. Also a good carpark basher, especially if you raise the suspension a little and fit rally tyres.

Advantages of going the TT route are that it is a standard size touring car, so you have loads of different shells that will fit. The 4wd drivetrain is more balanced and the car is very easy to control. It also allows it to tackle rougher ground in rally guise, and can be built with increased ground clearance from the get-go as the necessary parts are all included in the kit.

The M-03 is more of a challenge, and thus some may argue more fun.  While it doesn't have quite as many shell options, it can be built in 3 different wheelbases (4 if you include the FF-02 touring car) and since it shares DNA with the TL chassis, you have three different track widths to choose from too.

On 12/5/2017 at 2:25 PM, JatoTheRipper said:

The TT-02S and TT-02R also have a lot of upgrades included.

I think the S variant cannot be configured for high ground clearance.  So if you want options go with the R.  It comes with a lot of upgrades but no body.

• Like 2

Yep, the S is for onroad racing. Only the standard and the R variations can be raised to rally spec.

• Like 1

Ta all, some really useful insights.  Sounds like I might be best looking at the 4WD and FWD, will avoid the M04 and perhaps consider the drift or sport/rally chassis in terms of bang for buck.

The missus still really likes the vintage beetle though!

On 12/10/2017 at 9:04 PM, mattie_uk said:

Ta all, some really useful insights.  Sounds like I might be best looking at the 4WD and FWD, will avoid the M04 and perhaps consider the drift or sport/rally chassis in terms of bang for buck.

The missus still really likes the vintage beetle though!

Given all that, here is your perfect rig:

RC Volkswagen Beetle Rally - MF-01X

ITEM# 58650

Tamiya-Beetle-Rally-Volkswagen-RC-model-

MF-01X chassis with a rally Bug body.  It's a great all-around chassis.  It doesn't cost a fortune to acquire or hop-up.  My wife has one with the Mercedes G-sport body.  I built it with a Dirt Tuned motor (ITEM# 53929) and I'd say other than trying to do some light rock crawling, that motor is pretty much perfect.