ShawStuff

Can someone identify my tamiya grasshopper, thanks

Hello , i recently purchased this tamiya grasshopper nib kit , i believe it is not a re - release but lots of people on facebook have been telling me otherwise , what is this ? Thanks for your help :) 

0112856D-5242-4AE5-A203-32ED150419B8.jpeg

https://rctoymemories.com/2013/05/15/a-quick-guide-to-vintage-vs-remake-tamiya-rc-kits/

But real quickly, GH's with the "Brite" lights are re-res.  The original had "Marchal" lights...  Of course that doesn't necessarily mean anything - the previous owner could have used Original decals on his Re-Re GH...

Terry

Based on the photo alone, it looks like an original Grasshopper kit (the blister pack and manual are a dead giveaway) - with a bonus, period-correct Acoms transmitter. Terry is also correct about the headlights - that's another good way to ID originals from the kit box.

To be 100% sure that everything in the kit is original, you will need to look at each part. But if the seller is not someone who appears to be "into" or "aware" of the modern remake kits/parts and maybe just had this kit for ages (the fact the radio is from the 1980s adds credibility to this), then the chances of this being an original, untampered kit, gets better. Many people out there only really knew Tamiya back in the day (the 1980s) and have not really paid attention since then. These are excellent sellers to buy from, as what they sell is sometimes a "time capsule" from the 1980s - a car, box, controller, batteries etc, untouched since back in the day, with zero risk of any of the original parts being mixed with latter-day remake/repro stuff etc.

What did you pay for it? Because 50 pounds is way below the going value on one of these classics.

Last thing - The "lots of people" on Facebook sound a bit misinformed :mellow: Someone actually asked me the other day, when I was going to start posting things/articles/whatever on Facebook. I said I don't use Facebook, and never will.

(I'm 100% for the open web. No Facebook. No ads. No tracking. B))

Thank you for your help , i do have more photos to post of it but they are above the 4.88mb limit , the thing that confuses me is the bar code on the side of the box near the date stamp that reads “tamiya ©1984” but apprently they are not supposed to have a barcode , it is an english version though not sure if that makes the difference. 

I paid £65 posted for the grasshopper and acoms remote bnib , in my opinion it was worth it. 

I will take another look at it but i am a bit stuck at the moment.

thanks - James

Yes, that price is a stone cold bargain. It says the seller had absolutely no idea what he was selling. And the buyers had absolutely no idea what they were buying (except for you).

Actual value (when listed properly)

£200 - £250 (Original Grasshopper Kit)

£70+ (Radio)

Total value: Up to ~£320. (without postage).

Not sure about barcode yet, so will need a pic.

Highly recommend people install Wisdom Soft ScreenHunter (or any similar tool) - http://www.wisdom-soft.com/products/screenhunter.htm  Then just open any picture on your computer, make the window smallish (not full screen). Then hit F6, drag to copy a screenshot of the pic, to your clipboard. Go to your forum comment, and hit CTRL+V to paste directly into comment.

Oh ok great news , thank you for all the help , took facebook 41 comments to come up with the conclusion it wasn’t a re-release :) i will get some better photos and put it on my showroom this week.