schuultzie51

Newbie with a Blitzer Beetle Project!

This is very common. You need to shim it. I have used plastic M5 washers which I then trimmed on the outside so they don't catch on the outer bearing race. You can get proper Tamiya shim kits but I don't know the part numbers. This has been discussed at length on the General Discussion forum in the "DT03 Loose wheel " thread. Have a look there for part number help.

• Like 1

It has been a while since I have made any progress due to some mail delays... Finally, this week I received the Hi-Torque servo saver (waited 40 days for delivery!). 

Front Suspension/Steering is complete with:

Alloy Servo Mounts
Hi-Torque Servo Saver (51000)
Aluminum Horn (54369)
Adjustable DT-02 Steering Turnbuckles (53828)

Up next, I'll finish the rear suspension and drive train!

ServoParts.jpg

Servo.jpg

SteeringComplete.jpg

• Like 1

5mm Shim set (0.1mm/0.2mm/0.3mm) came in the mail the other day too! 

I ended up placing a 0.3mm shim on both the inner and outer side of the drive axles. A total of 0.6mm of shim for each axle, reducing slop to zero!

AxleShims.jpg

• Like 1

Rear suspension and drive is now complete with:

DF03 100mm Alloy Dampers
Damper Stabilizer Rod Added (Recycled from old front steering rod)
Adjustable DT-02 Turnbuckles
Blackfoot Xtreme CVD Driveshafts (w/ 0.6mm shim)
Touring Car Hard Steel Cups (53218)
FastEddy Rubber Sealed Bearings
GPM Aluminium 12mm Wheel Hex Adapters

I also had to modify and remove a section of the tub chassis (shown in the second photo) to accommodate the larger diameter rear dampers. This allows for unrestricted spring compression. 

RearComplete.jpg

ChassisMod.jpg

Been a while again since I have last posted progress. I found a new set of the Fluorescent Yellow Stadium Thunder wheels online and mounted/glued Proline Caliber tires (8210-02 on the front and 8209-02 on the rear).

Install included rubber sealed bearings and blue alloy flange nuts. Rolling chassis is now complete!

Still to do:

Body Repair/Paint/Decal/Accessorize
Install 3D printed AMPro front chassis braces
Electronics (Motor/ESC/Battery)

BlitzerWheelsTires.jpg

BlitzerBeetleRolling.jpg

• Like 4

This thread is fantastic.!!

I have a Re-re bought BB built with my son.

We have upgraded the dogbones to CVD (which looks a little short and seems to be wearing the stock cups)

We have a modern Etronix sport tuned 15t motor running with Etronix WP ESC on 2s 30c 4000mAh batteries.

It is lightning quick with wheelies every time you push the trigger.

We have run It about 30time with various crashes and returns to the workshop tabletop!

These mods seem just the job to make it a little more durable.

Out latest run with the new motor lasted about 10 mins before the spur gear stripped.

Has anyone got any advice on the possible cause of this please as I am myself a bit of a noob but really want this to be more reliable as my son loves it! 

Do I need to rebuild/upgrade the gearbox as 30 runs seems a little low considering everybody says it's quite a bulletproof gearbox.

Many thanks all you're teaching me lots! 

This thread is fantastic.!!

I have a Re-re bought BB built with my son.

We have upgraded the CVD and have a modern 15t motor running on 2s 30c 4000mAh batteries.

It is lightning quick with wheelies every time you push the trigger.

We have run It about 30time with various crashes and returns to the workshop tabletop!

These mods seem just the job to make it a little more durable.

Out latest run with the new motor lasted about 10 mins before the spur gear stripped.

Has anyone got any advice on the possible cause of this please as I am myself a bit of a noob but really want this to be more reliable as my son loves it! 

Do I need to rebuild/upgrade the gearbox as 30 runs seems a little low considering everybody says it's quite a bulletproof gearbox.

Many thanks all you're teaching me lots! 

If you're getting wheelies, then it's not surprising that you're stripping the spur gear. I'd just buy a load of them... :D

• Haha 1

We have rebuilt the gearbox with new spur gear.

And a steel pinion.

It ran for an hour and has developed a clicking sound.

I've noticed the CVD isn't quite reaching into the outer cups so this might need attention.

I am going to strip the gearbox again to see what has happened after one run.

Any tips or experience would help .

A lot 

Cheers!