Andyrt200

Silicone diff oil

I was looking for something else on eBay & came across this Silicone oil has anyone tried it? 

I'm getting a G6-01 & want to convert it to run the wide axels. But when I locked the diff in my Blackfoot xtream it kept snapping driving shafts (mainly on bad / hard landings) also fully locked diffs cause big trucks to roll over a lot more, if the inside wheel can spin up a bit when you corner fast the truck naturally slows a little & helps keep it on the ground. But of course sitting there spinning one wheel is a pain. So I want a limited slip action.

I tried general automotive grease in the Blackfoot xtream diff the effect lasted less than one pack, after stripping it down again I found it had just about all gone from inside the diff as they were never made to be oil tight. Maybe with small wheels it would be different but the bigger wheels need / take more tourque & the thicker grease just gets quickly forced out of the gap between the large bevel gear & the plastic of the diff its self. I assume even the thickest silicone oil will be the same? But have never seen the stuff I don't know! 

The G6-01 looks like it will be a bit of a pain to split in half again to get at the diffs again so I'd rather put something in that worked first time!

I have read about plasticine being used in diffs, but in this cold weather I should think it will go rock hard & I'll end up snapping drive shafts again...

Over the last few years I've been sticking to locked diffs in the solid axle cars & open in the ones with independent suspension.

Even the CC-01 needed CVDs to stop the front drive shafts popping out with a locked front diff....

Have you tried "Bad Horsie?"  (white one in the photo)

Its consistency is like melted caramel.  It does not lock.  It's so sticky, it can be used on open diffs like Grasshopper or Blackfoot (original one).  On open diffs, it's not as stiff as I like it to be, but a lot better than nothing.  Even for relatively heavy Wild Willy 2, it works fine.  Diff works stiffly, but that's how I like it.  Diff works so it won't flip ever time you make a turn, but one wheel has 1/2 power to free itself from a tree root.  If it works on Wild Willy 2, I think it would do well on G6. 

You can adjust the stickiness by choosing where to apply or how much to apply.  In below photo, I used on 3 bevel axles, center hole, and diff plates for maximum stickiness.  You can use normal grease on 3 bevel axles, if you want diffs to roll more freely.  I generally use everywhere in the diff, but in light vehicles, I sometimes use regular grease on 3 bevel axles, because its too stiff for light buggies like DF02 Gravel Hound.  On DF02, I made rear stiffer, so if I turn one rear wheel fast, all 4 wheels turn in the same direction.  If I do it slowly, diff works and only the other rear wheel turns the other way.  Front is a bit looser, so if I turn one wheel fast, the other 3 tries to move the same way, but diff ends up working.  

I wouldn't pack the whole diff with this thing.  That would be same as locking and there are cheaper ways to do that.  Instruction says to pack only 1/3 on T-MAXX diffs.  

5a2ee5419876d_badhorsie.jpg.2a7a70d90397eee4e6f0d334b1298f2f.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Supercoolnothing said:

That bad horsie stuff sounds really good, shame they won't ship to the UK I'd like to get my hands on some to try it. 

Exactly, I was getting quite excited reading about it. 

Most annoying my other half is in the USA right now with but coming home too soon to get an order delivered to her in time to bring back.

Anyone else heading to the USA soon?! 

If not I have got a mate who lives over there, I could maybe get him to send me a few over if I make it worth his while.

Juggular where did you get yours from?

Sorry, I wish I could point out a seller in UK, but I got it in Pennsylvania directly from the Bad Horsie.  

I remembered my friend round the corner here is cabin crew, she is flying out on Sunday & is happy to bring a tub or two back with her!

So hopefully I will get to try it out before long :)

On 11/12/2017 at 10:30 PM, Supercoolnothing said:

That bad horsie stuff sounds really good, shame they won't ship to the UK I'd like to get my hands on some to try it. 

Not sure why this is, I've got heavier 1:1 parts shipped with tracking for cheaper!? 

International Orders: International orders are presently not available until an affordable tracking option presents itself. The cheapest we have seen costs anywhere from $45 to $65 just to ship a package under 3 ounces.

5 hours ago, Andyrt200 said:

I remembered my friend round the corner here is cabin crew, she is flying out on Sunday & is happy to bring a tub or two back with her!

So hopefully I will get to try it out before long :)

Awesome stuff, let us know what you think of it. 

1 hour ago, Supercoolnothing said:

Awesome stuff, let us know what you think of it. 

I hope I can. 

I'm not too hopeful about getting any at the moment. 

I emailed them first thing to check they can get some to my friend by Monday when she flies  back. 

But didn't hear back so thought I'd just ordered some & hope for the best. But on checkout the only option was a $1,000.00 to pick up from the store, that I couldn't de-select! Glad I didn't just hit pay now as I often do...

I heard back from the silicone oil supplier I linked in the first post, they confirmed it will just leak out of a diff that wasn't meant to be oil tight in the first place. 

5 hours ago, Wooders28 said:

Not sure why this is, I've got heavier 1:1 parts shipped with tracking for cheaper!? 

International Orders: International orders are presently not available until an affordable tracking option presents itself. The cheapest we have seen costs anywhere from $45 to $65 just to ship a package under 3 ounces.

Quite, that along with the $1,000.00 collection fee makes me wonder! 

Still heard nothing back from Bad Horsie, I get the impression its some little enterprise someone runs in their spare time.

They have links to three shops on their website, two take your nowhere, the one that does work (Dave's) replied very quickly to my email last night, this is what he said about the diff grease:

"We do not stock that product. What are you installing it in? Whatever the grease is was designed for 1/10 and 1/8 sized cars. Most "diff locking" removable stuff is just silly putty inside the diff. Easy to clean out and does a good job of mostly locking a diff. Other people will use that yellow tac stuff that is what is used to hang things like posters on a wall."

They stock Bad Horsie's only other product, the shock covers.

Funny they call it yellow tack over there!

I kind of like the idea of silly putty though, so have ordered some of that. At the very least my daughter will at last get something out of mine & my sons hobby! 

We just wanted to get the new G6-01 built over the xmas holiday, so will probably try silly putty in that now.

My friend will be flying out to the US again in January but it seems unlikely I can get any by monday for her now.  

On 11/12/2017 at 8:32 PM, Nobbi1977 said:

I use the Tamiya putty. Works well and is consistent 

I haven't used that but assume its the same as milliput & sets rock hard?

I just use a hot glue gun for sold diff locking as it can be removed after. Some times it breaks loose a bit & gives a bit of an LSD effect but there is no way to control how much effect there is once it does break free, usually very little! It at least causes no damage to anything if it does break loose. 

I'm after a reliable consistent limited slip effect. The Bad Horsie stuff sounds perfect if I could just get some! 

2 minutes ago, Andyrt200 said:

I haven't used that but assume its the same as milliput & sets rock hard?

I just use a hot glue gun for sold diff locking as it can be removed after. Some times it breaks loose a bit & gives a bit of an LSD effect but there is no way to control how much effect there is once it does break free, usually very little! It at least causes no damage to anything if it does break loose. 

I'm after a reliable consistent limited slip effect. The Bad Horsie stuff sounds perfect if I could just get some! 

I think what @Nobbi1977is referring to is the tamiya 42247 diff putty, it looks to be good stuff albeit not the most common thing to come over in the UK. Ride rc also do a couple of grades of diff putty which is readily available from Schumachers site http://www.racing-cars.com/ I'm tempted to get some to try it. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Supercoolnothing said:

I think what @Nobbi1977is referring to is the tamiya 42247 diff putty, it looks to be good stuff albeit not the most common thing to come over in the UK. Ride rc also do a couple of grades of diff putty which is readily available from Schumachers site http://www.racing-cars.com/ I'm tempted to get some to try it. 

Great thanks!

The Tamiya stuff was very easy to find on eBay, so I ordered a tub. I don't know when it will get here, I didn't pay much attention to where it was coming from just that it will take a few weeks & the postage was only a few quid. Xmas will likely get in the way of fun again! 

I couldn't see the schumacher stuff easily on that link & thought I go for Tamiya first anyway. 

8 minutes ago, Andyrt200 said:

I couldn't see the schumacher stuff easily on that link & thought I go for Tamiya first anyway. 

I take it back, it wasn't too hard to find & its in the UK so I ordered both grades. 

Maybe my daughter will get a full set of silly putty to play with after all! 

1 hour ago, Andyrt200 said:

I take it back, it wasn't too hard to find & its in the UK so I ordered both grades. 

Maybe my daughter will get a full set of silly putty to play with after all! 

Same here, I don't know how well it'll do in the open type diff like what's fitted to the bigwig (I'm wanting to slow down the action to get more drive out of corners) but if it doesn't work too well for that I'll just use it in the front diff on the cc-01 to give a limited slip action. 

6 hours ago, Supercoolnothing said:

Wow, I assumed that Nobbi1977 was referring to the solidifying kind--to lock the diff.  I had no idea diff putty even existed.  I've used Bad horsie in Bigwig to good effect, but RCMart description says that the putty is "for sealed differential."  My guess is that it relies on the gooieness, rather than stickiness, if that makes any sense... Someday, I'll give it a try.  

I asked Neil from Time Tunnel about the Tamiya diff putty, he thought it wasn't over here "due to Tamiya never providing
chemical content info" but he's going to look into getting some. 

Yes I think the diff putty will just get pushed out of the cogs on the older cars & flung around the rest of the gear box, that's where Bad Horsie would be much better. I'll wait to see if they ever do contact me, I'd like some in my original Blackfoot diff when I get round to that mod with the M2.5 tap. Also in the Hornet when I get round to stripping that. I think the clods wheels are probably asking a bit too much from it though!

The rest of our cars have the newer enclosed type of diff that should keep the putty inside.

I will end up with the Tamiya putty & both the others so will report back how they compare.

5 hours ago, Supercoolnothing said:

Same here, I don't know how well it'll do in the open type diff like what's fitted to the bigwig (I'm wanting to slow down the action to get more drive out of corners) but if it doesn't work too well for that I'll just use it in the front diff on the cc-01 to give a limited slip action. 

I locked the front of our CC-01 with some spare cogs from a second rear. It was the biggest improvement I made to it & I've done a few! As I said though it did need CVDs after locking the stock drive shafts just popped out all the time. It did snap one if those recently though so, putty could well be much better. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Andyrt200 said:

I locked the front of our CC-01 with some spare cogs from a second rear. It was the biggest improvement I made to it & I've done a few! As I said though it did need CVDs after locking the stock drive shafts just popped out all the time. It did snap one if those recently though so, putty could well be much better. 

Mines is already locked using that method but I'm not that keen on it because in my opinion the extra gear in the diff could throw the diff out of balance and cause vibrations. 

4 hours ago, Juggular said:

Wow, I assumed that Nobbi1977 was referring to the solidifying kind--to lock the diff.  I had no idea diff putty even existed.  I've used Bad horsie in Bigwig to good effect, but RCMart description says that the putty is "for sealed differential."  My guess is that it relies on the gooieness, rather than stickiness, if that makes any sense... Someday, I'll give it a try.  

Guess I need to learn to be more specific in future :-)

I use 1cm per little cog for a tight but not too tight effect and a lot more for a nice stiff diff for a loose dirt runner.

It takes a couple of runs to stabilise but is fairly consistent after that.

I should point out it is almost impossible to clean off totally if you change your mind though. 

• Thanks 2

On 14/12/2017 at 9:10 PM, Nobbi1977 said:

I should point out it is almost impossible to clean off totally if you change your mind though. 

Thats a good tip!

The two different grades from ride turned up really quickly. 

Looks easy to use http://rc-ride.co.jp/en/products/tools/part_28022

I just need to work out if I should use the hardness 45 or 70 now! 

I think I'll test the softer one in the xtreams diff, I guess I may be able to scrape some out to get some stiffer stuff in if its too soft. Or just add more of the soft. I don't want to make it too stiff or I'll be breaking drive shafts again....

• Like 1

I put 20000cps oil in my M-01 gear diff, unsealed. But the stuff ended up everywhere but inside the diff, and gooed up the whole gearbox. Now I've got some 50000cps oil, and plan on using that. Is there a good way to seal standard Tamiya geardiffs? Has anyone got good advice for me? Is the Tamiya diff putty #42247 any good? Any help is appreciated.

6 hours ago, _oliK said:

I put 20000cps oil in my M-01 gear diff, unsealed. But the stuff ended up everywhere but inside the diff, and gooed up the whole gearbox. Now I've got some 50000cps oil, and plan on using that. Is there a good way to seal standard Tamiya geardiffs? Has anyone got good advice for me? Is the Tamiya diff putty #42247 any good? Any help is appreciated.

I use the putty and like the effect. 1cm on each cog gives a little diff after running in. 2-3 cm per cog gives an almost locked, but not quite effect.

The diff needs to be 100% grease free on the tooth faces though or the putty does not stick