Hi All,

As my Bio states I'm a 40 something Dad with 6 yr old son getting back into Tamiya RC Cars and I'm the proud owner of a new Super Clodbuster.  

Can someone point in the direction of a UK retailer where I can buy upgrades/tune ups that doesn't require buying from the US via eBay?  I've searched and searched.  Modelsport.co.uk seem ok but a bit limited in stock and very difficult to search.

Appreciate the help.

Tamiya dealers in UK tend to cover spare parts only for the Clod, Fusionhobbies used to carry a few upgrades but probably dried up now.

UK retailers worth a look, ask the question..

Modelsport

Fusionhobbies

Timetunnelmodels

Wonderlandmodels

Tony'sTamiyaParts on eBay.

Metal anti-rotation brackets (on ebay) plus oil filled shocks are always good upgrades - you should already have the metal central chassis brace around the steering servo, from having a more recent model release.

If you want oil filled shocks then Traxxas T-Mass shocks, often available for £20 (for 8 shocks) from parted out new kits from USA ebay sellers are the default go to - work well, and don't leak !..

IMG_6526small_zps79a68dcb.jpg

The Clod modding scene isn't as widespread as many years ago, but there are still some suppliers like CPE (Crawford Performance Engineering) but USA based.

You may find a few odd items at thescalerstore

Modding a Clod is not cheap (even worse now with exchange rates !) so take your time and think about what you want/need and the direction you want the build to go.  It's all too easy to discard 60% (or more) of the model for something completely different !

photo11_zps2e0f1770.jpg

IMG_0146.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Shalston unfortunately if you want custom upgrade parts you have no choice but to buy from the USA as Percymon mentioned main point of call will be CPE another to mention is www.southwestmonstershop.com plus sicnme products based on ebay.

Only way to avoid high postage and customs is to build a super stocker which means adding basic upgrades like oil filled shocks for instance. My work in progress "Clod Buster" below literally has two items off a stock Clod Buster the wheels and the body! Even the tires are not stock.

Depends what you want and how much you want to spend...

P1020038 (Small).JPG

@ShalstonThe Clod scene isn't what it was. Even then when in full swing it was still typical to source parts from the USA. 

However, the best advice I can give to enjoy the Super Clod as is but with the following simple upgrades that are both economical and will push the chassis to its maximum.

1) Hobbywing 860 dual motor ESC from Modelsport. 

2) 3s Lipo batteries (modelsport, Hobbyking UK warehouse etc) will get you close to 15mph from silvercan motors. 

3) Standard silvercan motors which happily run on 3s lipo (in kit). Otherwise clod motors need to be zero timed or reversible which rules out Sports Tuned. On 3s lipo silvercans are perfect anyway. Super Stock BZ motors are also great on 2s, better than many mod motors in these, and you can cut the timing tabs to zero or retard timing. 

4) Full set of ballracers if not included (rcbearings.co.uk)

5) The essential servo horn mod which dramatically improves steering (threads on here about it somewhere from earlier this year)

6) Optional but beneficial are oil filled dampers, albeit depending what you pick it can be expensive. UK options include Absima on eBay set of 8 for £45 or the Traxxas ones mentioned above which are infinitely better. 

Much more modding, notably on the chassis and you lose the Super Clod Buster's essence anyway and you can spend hundreds and still not really get anything that performs close to a Traxxas. 

If you are thinking of dual brushless etc then consider cost benefit implications as the chassis surrenders all too quickly once you go over 15mph anyway.

If you want to go with a mod clod chassis or the multi link arm kits then it's possibly more economical to go to a txt-1/2 as a base but CPE are still the best source for the clod parts.

Thank you all for your advice and suggestions. Really helpful stuff. I have done a lot of reading on here and have already made some investments.  I have the Hobbywing 860 dual motor ESC from Modelsport, although the motor wires were too short to reach so I cut off the connectors and extended them with the stock Tamiya ESC wires with these - (which are excellent btw)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0716GK2F2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

3s Lipo - done

Ballracers from RCbearings - done

Servo horn - I’m not sure what this is. Is this to have dual servos front/back?

Motors - I went with Tamiya Torque Tuned Motors - are these ok?

Shocks - still to get, although I’m struggling to find the Traxxas T-Mass shocks for less than about £85

Metal anti-rotation brackets - found these on eBay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371928197237 - like them in black.

So far we’re up to page 18 of the manual - tyres to connect next  

@Shalston

Steering from one high torque servo in almost stock configuration is very efficient on these with the easy mods. No need to dual servo and see thread below for the mod.

Torque tuned motors are fine to be honest. 

The stock shocks are very very pogo sticks but do work ok mainly due to the chassis dynamics and weight. I am not a massive fan of Absima dampers but this set is great value for 8 and perfect for the clod without breaking the bank if you don't want to import. It does make a big difference to performance.

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Alloy-Oil-Shock-Absorber-Upgrade-For-Tamiya-Clodbuster-Clod-Buster-By-Absima/311938694970?hash=item48a0febf3a:g:ajIAAOSwu0JZ0jeJ

&

This thread here see reference to using the big star horn as improves leverage for steering.