Maelstrom

C-Ring question

I've found them in the gearboxes of my vintage Hotshot II, Porsche 959 and now in my vintage Boomerang:

C-ring

C-Rings. For me a pain to remove, they usually either fly across the room or end up getting bent.

So here are my questions:

Is there a decent way of removing these things?

Can I get spares? Does anyone have a parts number?

Thanks for the help! 

I've had the same problem, am restoring a vintage Boomerang and have lost one C-ring, after reading many posts here I've a few options, but don't want to fork out for a re-re gearbox if I don't need to. (Went down the e-ring route initially and could modify a bevel gear but would rather not if possible. A c-ring or 2 would be amazing if anyone can spare.)

(Tested my controller/radio and servos today, still working after 30 years in my parents loft :) )

Cheers!

You don't need those c-clips.

Grab some fuse wire or breadbag/kitchen ties (strip the plastic), wind a loop or 3 around where the groove sit and it does same job. Easier to remove too.

Thanks, I gave this a try, it didn't seem very tight though (or I couldn't get the wire tight enough to grip the output shaft). Doesn't it unwind itself inside the gearbox though? 

You've got ballbearings, right? Its only to fillup the groove enough that the axle/cup doesn't fall out thru the ballbearing,

It won't unravel as it's got nothing to rub against as the Axel won't be moving in relation to the inner race of the ballbearing.