Baddon

My original Pumpkin, Thundershot & Boomerang

Well I looked these out of the shed and after a quick looks decided the easiest to get running properly again was the Pumpkin. Tires had perished and after watching EBay saw a used set including rims - picked up for £16 posted. When they arrived the rims in great condition and 3 of the 4 tires really good the last tire the tire is not seating perfectly on rim.....have to see if it stays on or not.

Had a look and the Neo Scorcher that got me the Tamiya pug again had a box that its brushless motor & speed controller had come in, inside was a Torque tuned Tamiya motor and what I assume was the ESP from the Neo Scorcher......

So as a new tool box arrived I spend the afternoon gutting lots of old storage boxes with a few bits in each and tidying into the new parts boxs, here are a few pics of my afternoons work. I did NO cleaning, I am about bashing and having fun, get it to run and then I MAY....tidy it up a bit.

Anyways got the motor and ESP tested then when ahead and stripped out the old MECH Speed controller, servo, resistor and on/off switch. fitted new ones and then it was outside for a test run. Body mounts are all broken, rears are ok but fronts need a bit of fine tuning to get to work.

I have also noted the Thundershot is in need of a few bits.....

Tires for Either original rims OR for Boomerang rims

New tub chassie

As you can see I have modded it by making my own front suspension towers but the front gearbox mount on left (right as you look at photo) is missing from the tub....bummer. 

On a brighter point all the mechanical s seem smooth. Gearbox's are all sweet as well, body needs some work but reckon its repairable.

Boomerang is half way home as its with my mates mum to give to my mum.....I have bough loads of parts of Ebay in the expectation it will need them. Amongst the parts I have bought are some Bigwig parts as well including 2 tub chassis one new and one used but in good condition. SO if anyone out there needs a BigWig chassis let me know. 

0e882f90-6172-4a5e-a581-80e84eaf3625.jpg

Thundershot photos as is.

Needs a new Chassis, tires to fit the thundershot or Boomerang (I have spare Boomerang rims) and 2 wheel nuts (flanged type BD3)

May need more but thats what I can see with a quick look over.

9dccdabc-ae98-4713-a496-358c497b6ed6.jpg

Had the pumpkin out and it runs better than I remember, the ESP will full control is defo a big step up.

Not sure the torque Tuned motor is better than the 550.

Anyone tell me the difference between a Torque and Sport tuned? I have both as well as the 550 Turbo (from a glider i had which is longer) and a Parma Stock cyclone 2 27T single.

See the link to answer your question about the difference in speed between the kit 540, Torque Tuned and Sport Tuned motors in a TT01.. https://www.tamiyausa.com/product/item.php?product-id=54358

The
550 would probably have more Torque than a Torque Tuned or Sport Tuned motor due to its longer 550 design, but depending on how many turns it is, it may not be as fast as them..

If the Parma Stock motor is still in good condition, it would probably be the quickest of all those motors mentioned, and still have reasonable torque for wheelies.. ;-)

It looks like that you have torn the Thundershot down for a clean up and rebuild... I would suggest doing the same for the Pumpkin at some point in the near future, as the grease in the gearbox has possible gone hard, and it would give you the opportunity to inspect the rotating parts and gears for wear, and replace any bushings that may still be in there with some ball bearings..  Ball bearing would also be a good upgrade for the Thunder Shot as well, if it doesn't already have them fitted..

ESP?? Do you mean ESC which is short for Electronic Speed Control?

3 minutes ago, Backlash said:

See the link to answer your question about the difference between the kit 540, Torque Tuned and Sport Tuned motors in a TT01.. https://www.tamiyausa.com/product/item.php?product-id=54358

The
550 would probably have more Torque than a Torque Tuned or Sport Tuned motor due to its longer 550 design, but depending on how many turns it is, it may not be as fast as them..

If the Parma Stock motor is still in good condition, it would probably be the quickest of all those motors mentioned, and still have reasonable torque for wheelies.. ;-)

It looks like that you have torn the Thundershot down for a clean up and rebuild... I would suggest doing the same for the Pumpkin at some point in the near future, as the grease in the gearbox has possible gone hard, and it would give you the opportunity to inspect the rotating parts and gears for wear, and replace any bushings that may still be in there with some ball bearings..  Ball bearing would also be a good upgrade for the Thunder Shot as well, if it doesn't already have them fitted..

ESP?? Do you mean ESC which is short for Electronic Speed Control?

Thanks for link on the motors, All my kits were ballraced when I built them but yes they all need a strip down and clean. I have not touched the Thundershot at all, hence the dust and sawdust as the roof space they are in is next to the wood shed.

Yes ESP should have been ESC was thinking about something else while typing.....lol

• Like 1

I just finished a rebuild on my Thundershot/Terra Scorcher.  It started life as a 'shot, but I liked the Scorcher looks better so picked up the parts for the conversion.  I'd put Tamiya aluminum shocks on it, but they weren't the best.  Besides which, I'm missing a part or two on one of the fronts.  Figure I'll go back to the yellow shocks for backyard use.  I'm in need of tires as well, but for my use, I'd go with whatever is conveniently available.