Jump to content
Man1c M0nk3y

Newbie alert! DT-03 Racing Fighter

Recommended Posts

Hello all. 

Total newbie here who after years of wanting an RC and never getting around to it I have finally pulled the trigger on one. 

After reading @ThunderDragonCy build I decided to go with the DT-03 Racing fighter (preferred the body over the Neo). I had been looking at all sorts and a lot or RTR’s where coming up which would no doubt have been cheaper to start, but for me, I really wanted the build process from the start not just the strip/repair later on so started looking more at the Tamiya cars. Toyed with 4x4 because they looked more involved on the build, but decided 2WD would be a more sense initially just in case I don’t take to it all (plus I can get another 4x4 later 😂)

So far I’ve only ordered the kit and some bearings so still need a fair bit before I can build it and run. 

I have a few of no doubt many questions for you all of you will. 

1. Can you recommend a good ‘starter’ tool set?

2. What spares would be advisable to have handy?

3. Only glanced at the pdf manual so far but do you ‘have’ to paint the inside of the body shell? I haven’t decided on finish yet but had something in mind that would no doubt be tricky on the inside for someone like myself who has never done it before, but much easier on the outside. 

Looking forward to getting started, missus thinks I’m crackers (not much different to normal however!)

Sorry for the long post and cheers for any help. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Man1c M0nk3y said:

Hello all. 

Total newbie here who after years of wanting an RC and never getting around to it I have finally pulled the trigger on one. 

After reading @ThunderDragonCy build I decided to go with the DT-03 Racing fighter (preferred the body over the Neo). I had been looking at all sorts and a lot or RTR’s where coming up which would no doubt have been cheaper to start, but for me, I really wanted the build process from the start not just the strip/repair later on so started looking more at the Tamiya cars. Toyed with 4x4 because they looked more involved on the build, but decided 2WD would be a more sense initially just in case I don’t take to it all (plus I can get another 4x4 later 😂)

So far I’ve only ordered the kit and some bearings so still need a fair bit before I can build it and run. 

I have a few of no doubt many questions for you all of you will. 

1. Can you recommend a good ‘starter’ tool set?

2. What spares would be advisable to have handy?

3. Only glanced at the pdf manual so far but do you ‘have’ to paint the inside of the body shell? I haven’t decided on finish yet but had something in mind that would no doubt be tricky on the inside for someone like myself who has never done it before, but much easier on the outside. 

Looking forward to getting started, missus thinks I’m crackers (not much different to normal however!)

Sorry for the long post and cheers for any help. 

 

The DT-03 was my first build also, done plenty of stripping and rebuilding before but never from new.

Its a really straightforward build but keeps you interested just enough, I found the hardest bits were the shocks and cutting the body I recommend getting some curved modeling scissors 

You spray from the inside its very straight forward get some good quality masking tape before and make sure its 100% dry before applying more coats dont rush it! 

You can see my build here 

 

The only issue is that you will want to buy every Tamiya model and build it because there is just something about it! 

I have learnt loads since getting back into the hobby it gives me something to do in the evenings and my eldest loves sitting with me helping me out.

For xmas he has a car waiting to be built!  

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, novicelad said:

The DT-03 was my first build also, done plenty of stripping and rebuilding before but never from new.

Its a really straightforward build but keeps you interested just enough, I found the hardest bits were the shocks and cutting the body I recommend getting some curved modeling scissors 

You spray from the inside its very straight forward get some good quality masking tape before and make sure its 100% dry before applying more coats dont rush it! 

You can see my build here 

 

The only issue is that you will want to buy every Tamiya model and build it because there is just something about it! 

I have learnt loads since getting back into the hobby it gives me something to do in the evenings and my eldest loves sitting with me helping me out.

For xmas he has a car waiting to be built!  

 

Hi. Cheers for the pointers. 

 

Im sure I’ll sort the paint. Just wasn’t expecting it to be done from the inside. 

Ill have a read of your build. 

Have fun building with your son. What have you got him?

I’ve got girls who think I’m as childish as their mum does 😂 might see if the youngest wants to help out though, the other two are far too serious and grown up 🙄!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Man1c M0nk3y said:

Hi. Cheers for the pointers. 

 

Im sure I’ll sort the paint. Just wasn’t expecting it to be done from the inside. 

Ill have a read of your build. 

Have fun building with your son. What have you got him?

I’ve got girls who think I’m as childish as their mum does 😂 might see if the youngest wants to help out though, the other two are far too serious and grown up 🙄!

Got him a rising fighter its one of the most simple builds and cheap, he already has larger far more capable FTX carnage but he wants to build a car so this is what he decided he wanted.

Hes only 7 and doesn't have much experience with tools hoping this will get him on the right track.

My wife shows a bit of interest and has even said (quite condescendingly) "aren't you clever" and something about the lounge still needing decorating or something :D

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, novicelad said:

Got him a rising fighter its one of the most simple builds and cheap, he already has larger far more capable FTX carnage but he wants to build a car so this is what he decided he wanted.

Hes only 7 and doesn't have much experience with tools hoping this will get him on the right track.

My wife shows a bit of interest and has even said (quite condescendingly) "aren't you clever" and something about the lounge still needing decorating or something :D

 

Cool. Never noticed that one when was looking. 

 

The FTX Vantage was one of the RTR’s I was looking at first. Looks the part but I wanted to build so moved on. 

 

I know exactly what you mean on the missus front, apparently our bathroom needs finishing. Seems fine to me!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Man1c M0nk3y said:

1. Can you recommend a good ‘starter’ tool set?

2. What spares would be advisable to have handy?

3. Only glanced at the pdf manual so far but do you ‘have’ to paint the inside of the body shell? I haven’t decided on finish yet but had something in mind that would no doubt be tricky on the inside for someone like myself who has never done it before, but much easier on the outside. 

1) A JIS driver might be useful.  Japanese Industrial Standard screws are slightly different from "Phillips" driver.  I've built on and off since the 80's and only this year I got a JIS screwdriver.  I wish I had gotten it sooner.  But as mentioned, I did build them without JIS... A couple ruined head won't be a big problem... so it's up to you.  

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vessel-Megadora-2x100-Cross-Screwdriver/dp/B000TG8OTY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1513620443&sr=8-3&keywords=JIS+screwdriver

[*A tip I got from Pintopower is that you back-thread before you screw again.  Tamiya screws are designed to bite into the plastic, and make the thread as it goes in.  When you unscrew and screw back in again, you don't want to cross-thread.  So, put the screw in the hole, back it out until you hear/feel it seated, and then screw it.  That way, you don't ruin screw holes.]

2) I would not recommend "spares."  If you are in RC long enough, you will have a mountain of spares anyway.  Better not start it now.  Just get a replacement when you break something. 

3) If you don't paint on the inside, whenever you roll your car, the paint will scrape off.  It will get quite ugly quite fast.  And the paint won't have the shine of the Lexan body.  Besides, most of Tamiya bodies have a thin film on the outside of the shell to protect the outside from over-spray.  Once you are done painting the inside, you peel off the film and then put on the decals.  

Another tip might be making the differential a Limited Slip Differential by using anti wear grease or diff putty.  One rear wheel off the ground will not disable the car.  

Good luck, and I think you made a good choice.  If you want to get to places without accidents, you ride in 4WD.  But if you want to have fun in RC, 2WD is more fun.  

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Juggular said:

ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1513620443&sr=8-31) A JIS driver might be useful.  Japanese Industrial Standard screws are slightly different form "Phillips" driver.  I've built on and off since the 80's and only this year I got a JIS screwdriver.  I wish I had gotten it sooner.  But as mentioned, I did build them without JIS... A couple ruined head won't be a big problem... so it's up to you.  

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vessel-Megadora-2x100-Cross-Screwdriver/dp/B000TG8OTY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1513620443&sr=8-3&keywords=JIS+screwdriver

[*A tip I got from Pintopower is that you back-thread before you screw again.  Tamiya screws are designed to bite into the plastic, and make the thread as it goes in.  When you unscrew and screw back in again, you don't want to cross-thread.  So, put the screw in the hole, back it out until you hear/feel it seated, and then screw it.  That way, you don't ruin screw holes.]

2) I would not recommend "spares."  If you are in RC long enough, you will have a mountain of spares anyway.  Better not start it now.  Just get a replacement when you break something. 

3) If you don't paint on the inside, whenever you roll your car, the paint will scrape off.  It will get quite ugly quite fast.  And the paint won't have the shine of the Lexan body.  Besides, most of Tamiya bodies have a thin film on the outside of the shell to protect the outside from over-spray.  Once you are done painting the inside, you peel off the film and then put on the decals.  

Another tip might be making the differential a Limited Slip Differential by using anti wear grease or diff putty.  One rear wheel off the ground will not disable the car.  

Good luck, and I think you made a good choice.  If you want to get to place without accidents, you ride in 4WD.  But if you want to have fun in RC, 2WD is more fun.  

 

Thanks for the useful info. 

 

Have been looking at the Tamiya Tool sets and assumed they’d be fine. Will consider the JIS drivers though. 

With the spares was just wondering if there’s a specific ‘weakness’ that was worth having bits ready to go. Plan to let’s the kids play too so no doubt it’ll have a hard time!

Good point on the point. Wasn’t really thinking about rolling it just making my life easier 😂

Looking forward to getting started now. Got my dispatch email earlier. Seems I got it bought just in time as they have gone out of stock now. 

Need to figure out servo/receiver and transmitter now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A definite weak point is the gearbox case where the suspension arms mount to it. Ive broken either side 4 times now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Rb4276 said:

A definite weak point is the gearbox case where the suspension arms mount to it. Ive broken either side 4 times now

Ok I’ll keep an eye on that area then. Is there a known reason and fix?

Is that what the hop up part ‘fixes’ or are you talking about a different point on the gearbox/area?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Man1c M0nk3y said:

Ok I’ll keep an eye on that area then. Is there a known reason and fix?

Is that what the hop up part ‘fixes’ or are you talking about a different point on the gearbox/area?

No reason, maybe weaker plastic because for over a year i broke zero gearboxes. My dt03 is actually a dt03t  truck version but i have read of others breaking the same gearbox pieces with the buggy version. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Man1c M0nk3y said:

Have been looking at the Tamiya Tool sets and assumed they’d be fine.

Yes, they are Japanese Industrial Standard drivers.  In fact, if you are going to stay in RC, I'd recommend getting that tool set. 

  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While a full toolkit is nice to have I'm sure, for the majority of hobby-grade Tamiya models all you need for maintenance is the Allen key and box wrench supplied with the kit, and a Tamiya no. 2 JIS screwdriver (74006).

 

And while a pair of side cutters is useful for cutting parts from their sprues during construction, you can achieve very neat results with an ordinary Stanley knife if you are moderately careful.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TurnipJF said:

While a full toolkit is nice to have I'm sure, for the majority of hobby-grade Tamiya models all you need for maintenance is the Allen key and box wrench supplied with the kit, and a Tamiya no. 2 JIS screwdriver (74006).

 

And while a pair of side cutters is useful for cutting parts from their sprues during construction, you can achieve very neat results with an ordinary Stanley knife if you are moderately careful.

Cheers for the added insight. 

 

I wont be buying anything now till the new year. Don’t want Royal Mail losing everything!

was only looking at the kits for ease but will probably start simple, I just like tools!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...