Sign in to follow this  
svenb

Touring car body on a f104!?

Has anybody fitted a touring car to a F1 chassis? In particular the f104.

I have a Capri body on a f103GT and was wondering if I could use the wheel uprights and rear axle adapters on the 104 chassis, if the wheel base can be shortened to 251mm that is!.

• Thanks 1

In short: no. The wheelbase of an F104 can't easily be changed, due to the orientation of the battery (lengthwise) in the car. You'll simply run out of space on the chassis.

The front uprights should fit, but require spacering as the F103-style front suspension is different. The rear might, depending on what version of F104 you've got.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, GooneyBird said:

The front uprights should fit, but require spacering as the F103-style front suspension is different. The rear might, depending on what version of F104 you've got.

Thanks for that 👍

I don't have a f104 yet, just fancied building something a bit different. I've a Capri body waiting for a chassis 😉

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, svenb said:

Has anybody fitted a touring car to a F1 chassis?

As coincidental as it is, I almost started a similar thread before I found yours. TamiyaUSA has the TRF101 chassis kit on sale for $199, and I too had the idea to stick a touring car body on it.

https://www.tamiyausa.com/items/radio-control-kits-30/f-1-gt-indy-cars-36100/rc-trf101-chassis-kit-42252

Looking at the battery placement with the ESC and reciever on the sides of the battery. I wonder if you could turn the battery sideways, then redrill the holes for the front suspension 13mm back from their original location. The extra weight hanging over the sides would affect handling.

I made the transition once with a Tamiya BMW M3. I shortened the main chassis and the upper chassis to a wheelbase of approx. 257'ish mm. I was using the F104 F1 tires since, I wanted the fat slick tire look on my car. I adopted the TA-05 (I believe it was) front to the F104, to get a proper front bodymount. At the rear, I used the F103GT bodymount.

I don't think I have any chassis pictures. I'll look around. The image is of the finished car.

IMG_0488.JPG

• Like 1

I have no idea but the lengthwise battery shouldn't be a problem as they always show a stick pack but you can use a shorty in them which should free up the required space. I mount the esc in front of the battery in my TRF102  so there is plenty of room

• Like 1