grimlock

CC-01 - Which motor? 35T to 80T?

Hello!

As I understand the stock silver can is a 27T motor.

Which motor fits the CC-01 best?

There are a lot of variants of the 540 available for crawling 35T 45T 55T 65T and 80T (maybe more)

So which one to choose?

Any hints?

Thanks!

I test drove my mate's one fitted with a 65t. It maxed out at a brisk walking /slow jogging pace, and had plenty of low-speed pulling power along with a very smooth throttle response. When I build my own CC-01 one of these days, this is the turn count I'd choose.

• Thanks 1

Hi for trail running crawling I go with the RC4wd 80t cheap $12,00 motors they work great in the CC-01

Here is mine with the 80T rc4wd motor.

• Like 3

You can't really see it, but I have a 60T in my CC-01.  It's speed tops out at a slow jog so I rarely go full throttle.  I think I'd go with an 80T if I ever have to replace this one or if I build a 2nd CC-01.

11.12.2017-11.51.png

• Thanks 1

I've got the 65T RC4WD crawler motor in mine. Like others have said, it's just a little bit faster than walking pace with enough power to get it where it's going.

36127640050_7938d4dd09_b.jpg

• Thanks 1

Tekin 55t on 3s. I trundle around like it's on 2s but like the wheel speed and torque of 3s for tough spots.

A lot of people get on fine with the 27T motor for general use but it really depends on how slow you intend to go. The slower motor = more torque thing is a fable really. It's true with gearing, lower the speed and you get more torque but with a motor the more winds you have the skinnier and longer the wire is which means greater resistance. More resistance = less amps. Less amps = less torque. There are some other variables like magnet type and if a motor is double. triple wind etc but generally more turns actually equals less torque.

The true benefit of slower motors is that you have a smaller RPM range across the travel of the throttle which gives better control and that's what gives the illusion of torque. The gearing of these vehicles helps a lot too, try putting an 85T motor in something designed for speed and you'll be surprised how little torque there is.

A good option suggested is a relatively slow motor but with a 3s battery. The increased voltage makes up for the lower amperage and it's more efficient to attain a given speed through volts instead of amps. If you have two motors turning the same speed but one only needs half the volts it will also need twice the amps, be less efficient and run hotter. That's why a lot of the old school toy grade vehicles used 9.6v packs, it was better to use a high turn motor at a higher voltage than to use a low turn motor at a higher amperage, especially with little 280 size motors where thermal management was an important factor.

Anyway, I'm waffling on now but with a chassis like the CC01 it's basically a case of how slow do you intend to be going the majority of the time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks again. As these crawler motors are not that expensive I think I will get several to do some testing.

I think the Hobbywing 1080 is the more important bit of the equation.  The difference between 45T - 65T - 85T while noticeable, won't be nearly as noticeable as the ESC upgrade.  I prefer to run mine at 75% drag brake and in F/B/R configuration.  These options simply aren't available on the cheaper 1060 or the TBLE-02S.

• Like 1

I picked up an RC4WD 80T for my CC-01 and it's perfect the way it is. Yes, you lose wheel speed but with the CC-01 chassis' limitations, I haven't found myself getting into many situations where wheel speed is the only thing that I'm lacking to get me through it. With that said, though, I do intend on swapping to a better ESC later on as well.

If you don’t mind cutting up the battery tray a bit, I really like the way a 3:1 GRU and a 35T motor in it as it makes up for the poor CC01 gearing and makes it crawl exceptionally well and gives it. Ton more torque to work with. I’ve got a 500kv Tekin ROC412 brushless with a Tekin ESC waiting to be tried out when I build my rere pajero metal top.

I got a good deal on the Tamiya (#54114) CR-Tuned Motor (35T). Which has some promising specs. I could not find any specs regarding torque on the RC4WD Crawler motors, so I will try this one out first. If its too fast I will try a 3:1 GRU, any advice here?

Tamiya-CR-Tuned-Tuningmotor-35T-fuer-Cra

Turns: 35T

Voltage: 7.2V

RPM when not loaded: 12,000 RPM (7.2V)

Motor Size: 540

Gear Ratio: 32.4~50.6

Max. Torque: 36.7mN-m (7.2V)

I like the driver's goatee beard, mastino.  I was expecting you to crush the Mario mushroom.  

Going back to the issue....

I wonder if it is necessary to use a 35 T on a 3:1 unit?  27T motor can do 15,000 rpm with 500g/cm torque.  35T CR-Tuned has 12,000 rpm with 370g/cm of torque.  If you simply replace the motor, 35T can give you the max torque of 370g/cm at about 9000 rpm. 27T will give the max torque of 500g/cm at 12,000.  For a crawler, more torque at lower rpm is a good thing. Not to mention finer control given the same throttle pull.   

However, If you use a 3:1 reduction gear, 27T can give you 1.5kg/cm torque (with max 5000 rpm).  On the other hand, a 35T motor will give you about 1.1kg/cm and 4000 rpm max.  It seems it would be better to use a silver can, if you are going to use a GRU.  

36 minutes ago, Juggular said:

I like the driver's goatee beard, mastino.  I was expecting you to crush the Mario mushroom.  

Going back to the issue....

I wonder if it is necessary to use a 35 T on a 3:1 unit?  27T motor can do 15,000 rpm with 500g/cm torque.  35T CR-Tuned has 12,000 rpm with 370g/cm of torque.  If you simply replace the motor, 35T can give you the max torque of 370g/cm at about 9000 rpm. 27T will give the max torque of 500g/cm at 12,000.  For a crawler, more torque at lower rpm is a good thing. Not to mention finer control given the same throttle pull.   

However, If you use a 3:1 reduction gear, 27T can give you 1.5kg/cm torque (with max 5000 rpm).  On the other hand, a 35T motor will give you about 1.1kg/cm and 4000 rpm max.  It seems it would be better to use a silver can, if you are going to use a GRU.  

I've used both the silver can and some spare 35T HPI and Axial motor's I've had had lying around and all have proven to work quite well. Use what you have lying around and either way running the 3:1 GRU improves the gearing bigtime and multiplies to low speed torque with the CC01's gearing. the 80T slows it down nicely but it stalls out way too much.

• Like 1

On 1/8/2018 at 5:28 PM, grimlock said:

I got a good deal on the Tamiya (#54114) CR-Tuned Motor (35T). Which has some promising specs. I could not find any specs regarding torque on the RC4WD Crawler motors, so I will try this one out first. If its too fast I will try a 3:1 GRU, any advice here?

Tamiya-CR-Tuned-Tuningmotor-35T-fuer-Cra

This is a really good choice along with a 16t steel pinion and Tamiya CC01 alloy motor mount.  Yes it does spin up a bit quicker than most crawl motors but like berman, I like having the extra power and wheel speed at times when needed.  Just reduce throttle input when you want to go slower.  I don't see any challenge with running a slower, less powerful motor at full throttle all the time.  Crawling is just like racing in that practicing your throttle control (and steering) is the skill ! 

Kudos to the Guy's who have posted vid's here too.... great skills !