Sign in to follow this  
MuntyScruntfundle

WT01 (and variants) Steering Collar

Hi folks.

Has anyone come up with a better idea than the steering collar on these models?  Part of the problem with the plastic, which when it's been used and or bashed about it stretches so the steering becomes more than woolly!

I've printed some replacements which work well, but there isn't a plastic that allows for a bit of stretch without bending after a hard impact.  Unfortunately I don't have the ability to print anything at a fine enough pitch to replicate the splines on a servo, I could file a servo down for a flat edge, but that seems like overkill.

Any ideas?

Many thanks.

Do you mean the servo saver that attaches to the servo?

Loads of aftermarket upgraded ones including from Tamiya that are brilliant and cheap. 

A single metal spring from a Tamiya high-torque servo saver placed over the stock plastic C-spring tightens things up nicely. And since you get three springs in a pack, you can improve 3 servo savers for the price of one!

I superglue them. The glue will crack under a hard impact but holds it tight the rest of the time.

Not killed a servo yet and my driving is terrible 

I use a kimbrough servo Server, high torque metal gear servo and my 3D print servomount you can get at shapeways.

E23D1F99-54FB-4994-80BB-FF652FDB2A94.jpeg

• Like 1

I use zip-ties.  

I would estimate that one zip-tie can remove about 70-80% of the slop, depending on how tightly you bind it. 

Two zip-ties would make it give as little as Kimbrough "strong" servo savers do.  

On the photo, I used one zip-tie for my Bigwig.  I am happy with it.  

ziptie.jpg.62ba78d4814b315809223f66ea91ce3d.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, MuntyScruntfundle said:

Has anyone come up with a better idea than the steering collar on these models?  Part of the problem with the plastic, which when it's been used and or bashed about it stretches so the steering becomes more than woolly!

Check that the 2 nubs the C-spring clamps onto are both EQUALLY same thickness.

Any difference at all, you'll get sloppy deadband = wooly steering centreing. 

I either file down the thicker nub or build up the thinner one... a layer or 3 of superglue does the job. Paint it on both sides of nub until it measures exactly same as the other.

Then clamp on the spring and wrap a small ziptie around it.