Man1c M0nk3y

Man1c’s DT03 - Is dead!

So today saw the electrics go back in. Still Torque Tuned motor and  kit esc but RX is now and Absima one. Bought an Absima CR2S.V2 with the intention of putting it in the GF01 but the TX is a little too big for the youngest so the Futaba will be swapped to that and the Absima ended up in here. Seems a decent little bit of kit. Not as fancy but functions fine from a quick garden blast for the kids to use. 

And for the purposes of thread completeness here’s the chassis with the Aqroshot body on. Unpainted still but hoping to rectify that soon. 

47578207882_95fc3e2390_z.jpg

47578207892_8d763d8b16_z.jpg

• Like 3

On 5/2/2019 at 2:10 PM, novicelad said:

looking good @Man1c M0nk3y 

Thanks. 

Would like to say I’d made more progress but sadly I’ve been snowed under with work and doing the house. 

Really need to make some time for it. 

On 5/4/2019 at 7:18 PM, Man1c M0nk3y said:

Really need to make some time for it. 

Well. It’s safe to say I never did make anytime for it!

Can’t believe how long it’s been tbh but life went a  bit weird shall we say for a while and ultimately the cars got left to collect dust and ultimately ended up in the loft where today I have come across them again. 

So one very dusty and unloved DT-03 will be hopefully getting some love again soon. 

I have no idea what has happened to the pictures. I have tried to log in to Flickr but it’s telling me no account exists. Balls. 

I am not too sure really then what value this build holds to anyone anymore now the pictures are missing from the steps. 
I am not sure I have them to upload either. Typical. 

Seeing as I’ll likely dismantle the buggy and reassemble to check everything I suppose I could add some pictures detailing the finished sections that I ultimately worked towards in the original build log. 

I can barely remember what I did myself anymore! 

I will try and piece it all together and maybe put a finished list in here for anyone who may be interested in seeing it. 

Ultimately it’ll be slow going but I am looking forward to having a tinker and play again. 

Needs a clean first mind!

5 hours ago, Man1c M0nk3y said:

I have no idea what has happened to the pictures. I have tried to log in to Flickr but it’s telling me no account exists. Balls. 

It happens with old threads. But some new pictures will soon liven it up again!

On 3/22/2024 at 10:30 PM, TurnipJF said:

It happens with old threads. But some new pictures will soon liven it up again!

Annoying though nonetheless. New pictures incoming though. Whether it livens things up we shall have to see!

———

So then. The poor thing is a touch dirty!

53623652605_4cbc0e6d38_b.jpg

And things are not much better underneath.

53623655050_9583711e75_b.jpg

Yep. It needs a clean that’s for sure!

It’s also fairly obvious that’s an unpainted shell. Like I said the other day, I never did make time for it. We stuck the Racing Fighter shell back on and ran it like that for a while then it went away. Before it went away though the Aqroshot shell went on and the Racing Fighter shell is currently AWOL. 

Plans then are a full strip and clean. Check for damage that’s not obvious as is and then decide if I want to make any changes whilst rebuilding which I’ll detail and photo to bring some life back to the thread. 

Initial observations are no damage beyond scuffing from use.
Shocks move nicely with no leaks or weeping although I’ll refresh oil before it gets used again. 
Everything spins and turns freely. 
Assumption is electrics are fine. 

Only thing of ‘note’ is an apparent higher amount of negative camber on the front right wheel when looking straight on from the front. Could be the tyres giving that impression or something amiss. I’ll investigate as I get to that section. 

For now then. That’s where we are at. Slow process ahead due to commitments but hopefully some interest for people as I progress. 

• Like 2

Nothing exciting today. Everything is clean now though. It’s also in bits!

53622325597_f36ba17ca9_b.jpg

Next step before I contemplate any reassembly is to figure out again exactly what I did and why. Decide if I want to change anything or upgrade anything. Could maybe do with some more blue bits!

Speaking of which. If anyone new or indeed unsure should come across this and wonder what’s what in the picture. 

The silver plate on the left is a gearbox protector I bought of Facebook iirc  beyond that I no longer recall  

The shocks are DF-03 Aluminum Oil Damper Set (53926)

The shock towers are the Tamiya Carbon Shock Tower (rear/left - 54563 and front/right - 54562)

The two blue ‘strips’ on the left are Tamiya Aluminium Gearbox Bridge (54566)

The 2 silver shafts next to these are Tamiya TL01 Stainless Steel Suspension Shafts (53301) (these are used on rear arms)

Below those are Tamiya Steel Dog-bones (9805551) (I can’t recall right now why they were changed - are the kit ones plastic maybe?)

The red bar below those is the rear anti-roll/stabiliser out of Tamiya Stabiliser Set (54561)

The blue bar is the Tamiya Aluminium Battery Bar (54564)

The blue rectangular piece is the Tamiya Aluminium Servo Mount (54565)

Various turnbuckles around the shot using Tamiya Full Turnbuckle Set (54572)

The silver mount on the right next to the front shocks is the GPMRacing Front Suspension Arm Alloy Mount (DT3008)

Tyres are (left/rear) Schumacrr Vee 4 (U6503) and (right/front) Schumacher Vee 2 (U6502) both with Schumacher Truck Tyre Inners (U6541)

Note: The part numbers are from old notes so may not still be current/right. 

There is more going on that I haven’t listed but I’ll cross that on each stage as it goes back together. 

For now then, it’s all been packed back away for another day. 

So I’ve been thinking on this build whilst sorting out my daughters GF-01 and also in light of it becoming apparent I’d accidentally thrown the spare/original parts in the bin during house renovation work. 

I toyed with the idea of buying the cheapest DT-03 kit I could find and keeping it just for spares but reality is that would just be a waste really so went back to the drawing board. 

During my original build I very quickly got carried away reading DT-03 builds by the likes of @ThunderDragonCy and started changing things largely because others had or because it was blue!

I never got on with the turn buckles for example as I couldn’t seem to get a happy setup! I just thought they looked cooler than the kit arms so left them.

I feel I probably ultimately went away from the ethos of the buggy/truggy being ‘beginner’ and was trying to build something it wasn’t without the skills or knowledge to do so. 

In light of this I’m thinking of simplifying it a little again. 

The blue bits and fancy shocks will be staying because I have no replacements in the case of the shocks or anything else to put them on even if I did remove them and because the money is spent on the rest so no point putting ‘inferior’ plastic ones back in. 

The turn buckles bar steering/servo links are going though I think. 

Need to try and not get carried away again this time!

With this in mind I have ordered a few bits so will hopefully get started rebuilding soon. 

Ultimately, it’s time it was finished again and used properly. 

• Like 2

I installed all official Hop Ups, except of Ball Diff and even more custom upgrades in my DT-03. It was very nice and fun to drive.

I really regret that I sold it. It was maintenance free, super easy to service etc.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, skom25 said:

I installed all official Hop Ups, except of Ball Diff and even more custom upgrades in my DT-03. It was very nice and fun to drive.

I really regret that I sold it. It was maintenance free, super easy to service etc.

I think I have all the Hop Ups to bar the Ball Diff and DF-02 Universals. Certainly got carried away!

I feel my problem was I had them all but spent more time messing about adding them vs actually just using it and then it went away. 
Hopefully this time once rebuilt it’ll see some proper use. 

With any luck the post man will bring some bits this week and I can start reassembly. 

On asphalt there was too much understeer, but it was fun to drive. Off Road, with spike tires, I really had quite a lot of fun!

If you will need any advice, feel free to contact me.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, skom25 said:

On asphalt there was too much understeer, but it was fun to drive. Off Road, with spike tires, I really had quite a lot of fun!

If you will need any advice, feel free to contact me.

Off road is where it’ll be used. Only tarmac it’s likely to see is any in between the dirty/grassy stuff!

On 4/1/2024 at 1:53 PM, Man1c M0nk3y said:

I think I have all the Hop Ups

Looking around I realised I didn’t in fact have all of the Hop Ups. Only one thing for it!

As I’ve mentioned, I stupidly threw a box away that must have had the unused/swapped out parts for this and my daughters GF-01. 
First thing I have settled on whilst rebuilding the DT-03 was to return to standard upper arms vs the turnbuckle hop up (for now at least) so needed to order some replacement D and E parts (x2 to do both sides) and noticed the Reinforced M Parts (damper stay mounts) 54816 so this went in the order too. 

DT-03 Rebuild

Not as sexy as blue things but an ‘upgrade’ all the same plus some spares from this plus the parts it replaces. 

Getting started on the front end then was todays job.

DT-03 Rebuild

Lower arms back on with GPMRacing Front Suspension Arm Alloy Mount and the reinforced bumper and damper stay mounts installed from the hop up pack. Only discernible difference appears to be finish with the hop up being duller and a different texture. 

Next the task of fitting the standard upper arms. The lowers are shimmed up to remove as much slop without binding as possible and feel much better as a result. For the upper arms I was up against it as I have minimal shims and spacers to work with. Remember that box that went in the bin :wacko: 

I got there after a fashion though but suspect I’ll be revisiting this at some point. 

DT-03 Rebuild

So there we are. Front end (excluding servo and steering arms as I’ve borrowed the servo for something for now) back together. 

For those who have read/remember the original build. Some builders at the time were putting car wheel balance weights in the chassis nose cavity. I didn’t have any but I did have Blu-Tac so I stuffed some in and ended up adding 25g in total (13g in the left side and 12g in the right). It’s still in there as I couldn’t be bothered to split chassis and dig it out. 

Again, in the original build I swapped the lower arm and c-hub to steering arm step screws to low friction shafts and shimmed accordingly. I’ll admit it probably wasn’t/isn't needed but it’s what I did and have continued to do whilst re-adding the upper arms.

I’ve not listed the individual shim sizes this time as I’ve seen various people using different thicknesses in their builds so if you intend to do this just experiment to find a result you are happy with.

For reference for anyone who’s interested or comes to this down the line. Parts used:

54816 Reinforced M Parts.   
54395 3x22mm Low Friction Suspension Shafts. (You will need 6 for the front if not using turnbuckles).
53301 TL01 Suspension Shafts. (Also for the front but this time the upper arm to damper stay mount - not needed if using turnbuckles). 
53585 3mm Shims (0.1/0.2/0.3mm) and 53539 Aluminium Spacer Set used to shim as needed. 
54562 Carbon Front Shock Tower. 
54993 DF-03 Aluminium Shocks. (Fronts built using 3 O-rings internally with 2 hole pistons and 400cst oil)
54572 Turnbuckle Set. (not in shot but the steering arms will be used and obviously the upper arms could be swapped out too). 
54564 Aluminium Battery Bar. 
54565 Aluminium Servo Mount. 
DT3008 GPMRacing Front Suspension Arm Alloy Mount. 

To finish for today then. Progress but not a lot!

• Like 1

And just like that, it’s dead :(

Poorly DT-03 Aqroshot

Absolutely fuming with myself. Not paying attention whilst getting something else and knocked it off top of shelf. About 7ft to the floor. The floor won. 
Fortunately at least only the chassis broke with no damage to the front end that had previously been rebuilt/attached. Body was on and protected that area. 

Anyway, it’s back in bits. 

DT-03 Aqroshot

I have sunk too much in this to leave it but I am going to let it take a back seat for a bit. Get the GF-01 running sweet for my daughter and finally get my Schumacher Cougar KD built. 

It will return. Just not sure when right now. 

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Man1c M0nk3y said:

And just like that, it’s dead :(

Poorly DT-03 Aqroshot

Absolutely fuming with myself. Not paying attention whilst getting something else and knocked it off top of shelf. About 7ft to the floor. The floor won. 
Fortunately at least only the chassis broke with no damage to the front end that had previously been rebuilt/attached. Body was on and protected that area. 

Anyway, it’s back in bits. 

DT-03 Aqroshot

I have sunk too much in this to leave it but I am going to let it take a back seat for a bit. Get the GF-01 running sweet for my daughter and finally get my Schumacher Cougar KD built. 

It will return. Just not sure when right now. 

Thats bad luck. I just bought this part for my son's car today. JKRC has it for £14 and I think that's shipped. And it's a less time consuming job to change it than you might expect. 

In his case the classic front break but after a lot of abuse and even broken it is funning fine with my reinforcements, so fingers crossed we'll be taking ours to the beach tomorrow. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BuggyDad said:

Thats bad luck. I just bought this part for my son's car today. JKRC has it for £14 and I think that's shipped. And it's a less time consuming job to change it than you might expect. 

In his case the classic front break but after a lot of abuse and even broken it is funning fine with my reinforcements, so fingers crossed we'll be taking ours to the beach tomorrow. 

Indeed. Teach me to rush. 

I will have a look at JKRC. Will be picking up a chassis and getting it back together. Just going to finish other jobs first now. 
Still annoying mind!